Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's side mirror not correctly repositioning after being in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Apologies if this issue has been discussed elsewhere; I searched a couple of times but couldn't find it.)

I've had my 2014 CPO MS for just under 4 weeks. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing that after going from Reverse to Drive, the side mirror on the driver side does not always return to the correct position saved in the driver profile. It ends up angled further out and down, sort of between the R and D positions. If I make a quick change, the profile tab pops up and I can press Restore and it goes back to the saved position.

I contacted the local service center and they recommended doing a reboot of the touchscreen, though admitted that they didn't think this was likely to address it. It didn't. I do have an appointment to drop the car off, apparently for a mirror assembly replacement to resolve this.

Just curous if anyone has seen this and especially if any solution is known other than replacing parts. Seems like it could be a software issue as it's intermittent and Restore always works, though I guess there could be something in the mechanism that's sticking or something.

Same thing happened to me on a 2012 non-SIG yesterday only it was the passenger side mirror. I flicked it into reverse again while at a light and then back into drive. That fixed it. I don't remember that happening before. Must be a zeitgeist.

I've had this problem on my 2016 Model X for about six months. I was finally able to get the service center to be able to reproduce it on my car and another one in the service bay.

I don't have this problem in my 2012 Model S.

The service center said they would be contacting Tesla engineering to get a resolution.

It seems that the problem is reproducible when going from reverse to drive. If the mirrors have not gone down all the way when one goes into drive, the mirrors will be stuck in the halfway position.

When the auto tilt mirror feature is selected on my 2014 MS, the mirror actually actively tilts up (!) and not down when the car's in reverse. Not worth yet another trip to my local SC so it's sat on my list of minor annoyances to be addressed next time I'm in for something more major. In the mean time I just leave the feature off so I at least have a ballpark clue where the curb is when parallel parking the car.

When the auto tilt mirror feature is selected on my 2014 MS, the mirror actually actively tilts up (!) and not down when the car's in reverse. Not worth yet another trip to my local SC so it's sat on my list of minor annoyances to be addressed next time I'm in for something more major. In the mean time I just leave the feature off so I at least have a ballpark clue where the curb is when parallel parking the car.
I don't know if you have set your reverse auto-tilt mirrors correctly, but you should put your car in reverse and then set them to the position you desire and save your settings in your driver profile. It sounds like your auto-tilt settings were saved with the mirror in the up position.

My passenger side mirror did that for a month or so on my 2016 S, but it seems to have resolved itself. I'm going for the annual check next weekend, I will mention it. Thanks for reminding me.

Oh yeah, nice licence plate, by the way. Go Tigers, all the way to Omaha!

Looking forward to any updates from the SC. I've recently been having a similar issue where my driver's side mirror wouldn't tilt down properly when I'm in Reverse. If I set to Drive then back to Reverse again, it usually fixes it. That being said, had a slightly different behaviour this morning where I found my driver's mirror was tilted as if I was in Reverse position even though I was in driving. At the next stop, I quickly set the car to R and then back to D and that resolved the issue...

So I took my MS in to the SC last week, and they did the mirror assembly replacement. It didn't take long before I saw it malfunction again, and I can reproduce it about 20-25% of the time when going from R to D. It's back at the SC this morning where I demonstrated to the SC manager, again, what happens. It's very disappointing that they released the car back to me last week with this not being fixed.

(OTOH, the loaner they gave me is a P85D with AP in "seaside blue", which is a blue I like better than the really dark metallic blue that I have, which looks black in low light. Wonder if I could finagle an exchange, lol.)

Update - SC replaced the front door control unit (from the service invoice: "Fault scan found 19 faults in drivers front door control unit. Determined to replace this module.") and says they performed 30 function tests with no failure. So hopefully this is it.

But this is the 2nd issue I've taken my MS to the SC for in the month I've had it, and in both cases it took 2 attempts to fix the issue. That's not good.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to ensure I searched before posting. Took delievery if my AWD 3 this weekend and have similar behavior. When transitioning from reverse to drive, my passenger side mirror occasionally (more often than not), stays at the tilt down position. I have to press my driver profile to get it where it needs to be. At version 28.3. Any tips?

Just wanted to add that I had the same issue with my 2013 Model S passenger side for over a year intermittently, stuck in the tilted down position switching from reverse to drive, and could never get it to repeat while the car was in for maintenance. It started to get worse this summer and I realized that only when it was hot out it would happen consistently, and only on the first time after putting the car in reverse from being parked for a while.

Tesla finally got it to repeat last week while it was in for other maintenance, while it was over hot outside where the car was parked waiting for service. Initially when I dropped the car off in the morning it still wouldn't repeat just as two visits before, to my frustration. But I called by chance them on an afternoon when I saw it was 88F out, to have the tech try it and they were able to duplicate the issue. They are debugging it now as I type.

Good luck to all those with this same issue. Try and note if there's specific temperature range sensitivity when it happens.

I had this happen to mine and I was able to reproduce it for them. First they said there was no issue and gave it back to me. Kept happening. Next time they re-flashed my firmware and re-installed the software and that seemed to have fixed it permanently.