Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers side squeaking/ creaking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've had my M3P for about 6 weeks now, and done about 1500km. In the last fortnight I've noticed a squeaking noise has appeared on the drivers side around the lower B pillar area when travelling over rough surfaces, typically when doing 80kph+, but occasionally noticeable at lower speeds too.

Its driven my crazy trying to work out where its coming from, with my initial thought that it was from somewhere around the speaker in the rear drivers side door, but after having a poke around today, I'm convince I've found the cause.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szpqz7cu2m6fa72/IMG_7157.MOV?dl=0

^^ I assume this noise is not normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vhs46848dztdzx/IMG_7158.MOV?dl=0

^^ same panel on passenger side for comparative purposes.

Does any one have idea for a DIY fix? Or is this something I should book a service appointment to resolve?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just book a service centre call. With my model 3 they took me for a test drive to replicate the issue and then found it was caused by paint on wheel hub and they fixed it for free.

When booking the service you will likely see a quote for a few hundred but that is only in case you managed to bend control arms etc.

Reactions: paulp
This page of Model 3 rattle fixes may be useful.

Also, one of the commenters on that page wrote:

"…this squeaky noise in the corner of the dash on the driver’s side was there when I went in and out of a driveway or on a little bumpy road. My answer and I can’t say it will be yours, was to open the frunk and where the windshield wiper goes into the plastic was where my noise on the inside of the car was coming from. I put some felt tape under the plastic around where the windshield wiper bolts into the car. There was also a place where this plastic piece went under part of the windshield and there is a gap there. Another piece of the felt tape got wedged in there. I noticed that there were some dried leaves in this indentation that is where the windshield wiper plastic makes this cup and those were also possibly adding to the noise. It is gone! Finally!"

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Thanks all.

Took it in this morning, and the squeaking B pillar seems to be resolved. They mentioned something about having done something to the rubber seal.

There is still quite a bit of give/ movement – but no squeaking. So calling that a success.

Unfortunately on the drive home I noticed another rattle/ squeak slightly behind the B pillar/ around rear drivers side door, that was perhaps previously not as obvious with the louder B pillar squeak.

After the initial issue was resolved due to some focus on the rubber seals, after some googling I've ordered a bottle of this to see if I can self resolve before booking in another service centre visit. - https://www.amazon.com.au/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

• Informative
Reactions: paulp