Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving a P85 from SF Bay Are to Mammoth: some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a long time since I've skied Mammoth, not since I moved to Northern California in 1991. But I've been telling my kids how awesome it is since they started skiing, and now I'm going to do something about it.

I'm looking to put everyone in my P85 and drive there from the Bay Area through S. Lake Tahoe, probably arriving the morning of Friday, March 24.

So three questions for those with recent Mammoth experience:
- will I be okay with almost new Michelin MXM4s, or do I need to put on my snow tires?
- what's the best way to find a place to stay for Friday and Saturday nights for five people?
- any better lift ticket deals around than the regular Mammoth 3 of 5 day passes (two of the kids still pass for Youth pricing)?

Sorry, not on topic, but it seems like the best thread to find expert Tesla driving Mammoth snow sport people. Please respond with a private message if you wish.

It's been a long time since I've skied Mammoth, not since I moved to Northern California in 1991. But I've been telling my kids how awesome it is since they started skiing, and now I'm going to do something about it.

I'm looking to put everyone in my P85 and drive there from the Bay Area through S. Lake Tahoe, probably arriving the morning of Friday, March 24.

So three questions for those with recent Mammoth experience:
- will I be okay with almost new Michelin MXM4s, or do I need to put on my snow tires?
- what's the best way to find a place to stay for Friday and Saturday nights for five people?
- any better lift ticket deals around than the regular Mammoth 3 of 5 day passes (two of the kids still pass for Youth pricing)?

Sorry, not on topic, but it seems like the best thread to find expert Tesla driving Mammoth snow sport people. Please respond with a private message if you wish.

Tires: If those are all season or mud+snow you should be fine as long as you are a good snow driver. Bring chains, they may be required to at least be in the vehicle at any time. I don't have experience with summer/performance tires.

Where to stay: I usually use VRBO to rent a condo in the snow creek area. But can't really go wrong with anywhere else.

Lift tickets: Usually buying online a week in advance is the best deal. Sometimes they will post special sales on Facebook.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
Agreed. The sooner you buy your tix the better. Mammoth now has "demand pricing" and as it gets busier, prices go up. Kids prices vary from $35 to $65. Not cool, but it is what it is. Costco has a 4-ticket pass for less than Mammoth.
If your kids are small, Canyon kids is awesome. Just drop them off and they do the fittings and everything.
AirBnb works too. Also, Mamoth Reservations Bureau.
Tires will be fine if it is not heavy snow.

will I be okay with almost new Michelin MXM4s, or do I need to put on my snow tires?

The MXM4 tires are totally fine. I've driven twice to Mammoth, once in very heavy snow, and my P85D was totally rocking it! Also drove to Utah and Wyoming in very cold and snowy conditions, no problems.

Without AWD might be tricky though... @ecarfan may know how chains do in the RWD (I sold him my unused pair of Trak Sports after realizing I'd never need them!)