Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Across Canada via the New TransCanada Highway!

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 82 95.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must be able to go to sleep really easily to be able to sleep while charging and not stop otherwise but 8 hours of sleep on the 73 hour trip seems dangerous to me. Yep, have to agree @outdoors Coast to Coast makes more sense.
Although I still think it might be a good idea to leave from Victoria.

Minor adjustments. :D Ok 4 days then. Yes mile zero for sure in Victoria. Yes I do I have a technique for rapid sleeping. In other threads I am able to drive a thousand miles a day pretty easily. Model 3 actually might not change anything for me. It boils down to rest on a trip like this not supercharging speed. So faster charging might not benefit me as much as I might need more than 16 minutes of sleep at a supercharger. So I charger higher, drive longer. Sleep a little longer.

On long trips the winter hit is reduced. I would plan on 10-15% reduction although YMMV depending on how cold it is and in particular the state of the roads.

In any case, the car takes ongoing consumption into account on the trip screen and will alert the driver if an unplanned charging stop is needed or the consumption rate is too high.

Just drove 600kms from Montreal to Toronto at -1C weather, all highway (100 to 129 kph). Some snow, some wet ground with tons of salt. No matter the cabin temperature settings, the car (3 LR RWD) consumed 1.5 more that rated. 450km = 300kms at best without dipping into the red parts of the battery (less than 5%).

Average is 60% efficiency of rated. I would plan on losing 30 to 40% 0C or worse plus more charging stops at each SuC hops. Definitely a better drive in the warmer months. 15C+.

upload_2020-1-7_10-34-58.png
upload_2020-1-7_10-35-53.png

Last edited:
Just drove 600kms from Montreal to Toronto at -1C weather, all highway (100 to 129 kph). Some snow, some wet ground with tons of salt. No matter the cabin temperature settings, the car (3 LR RWD) consumed 1.5 more that rated. 450km = 300kms at best without dipping into the red parts of the battery (less than 5%).

Average is 60% efficiency of rated. I would plan on losing 30 to 40% 0C or worse plus more charging stops at each SuC hops. Definitely a better drive in the warmer months. 15C+.

View attachment 497504View attachment 497505
I have to agree with you. At -20 C, I had about a 30%-40 % loss and in snow, slush and wind as well as higher speeds it certainly would be more. I found that I had to add quite a bit extra (10%-15%) to the "Arrival" safety margin, even using the "Energy" monitor.

IF we do the "Cross Canada Tesla Ocean 2 Ocean Tour" I will be keeping track of all my numbers and will post them.

You are conflating the effect of speed with weather.

+1

It’s important to account for all the variables individually when determining range and not just lump them all together. Here in Wyoming, -20ºF is not at all unusual and neither are strong winds. I can only speak for my 2019 Model S Raven and my 2016 Model S prior to that, and I’ve never seen a range loss of 50% due to just low temperatures. The most extreme loss I’ve ever experienced due to temperature was ~19% during a drive from Salt Lake City to Jackson with -18ºF, no wind, and dry roads.

I have experienced a nearly 50% loss due to wind when I was westbound on I-80 from Denver to Jackson with temps in the upper 20’sF, a headwind of 45 mph and dry roads. I could have alleviated that range loss by slowing down but the distance from the Laramie SC to the Rawlins SC is only 100 miles.

Reactions: outdoors and mrElbe