Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving an ICE after getting used to the S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my S for 2 months now. Yesterday, I left it at the service center to get a few rattles fixed. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Tesla loaners so I got an Enterprise rental car.

Oh boy, does it make you appreciate your Tesla. The rental is loud, terrible to drive, pressing the gas pedal gives almost no response for a solid second or two. I feel like I have no control of the car. It's crazy how easy it is to get used to the low center of mass in a Tesla. With this car, I feel like I am floating on the road with absolutely no control over it.

Numerous times I let go off the gas pedal and then wondered why the car isn't breaking. I almost left the car turned on yesterday when I came home, forgetting it won't shut itself off.

I can't believe it took me only 2 months to completely erase this paradigm from my head. I miss my car :(.

I bought the wife a 2014 MS, I daily drive a chevy volt to work and back. I have a year 2000 porsche 911 cab for fun drives

I agree as far as a daily driver, since I started really putting a lot of miles a daily to and from work in my EV (and charging at work/home hence no hassle with having to find open charge spots) I can't imagine daily driving a gasser. Even in traffic, in bad jams that I deal with here sitting in traffic with a gas car idling away would suck. The EV is silent and smooth and ironically enough *more* efficient when creeping along in jams. No having to regularly fill up with expensive polluting gas or diesel, no engine oil changes, air filter changes, belts, water pumps, bearings, alternators to fix. AC compressors failing etc etc

For fun weekend drives the 911 is still great, it has a lot more connection to the driving experience than and EV does, steering feel, handling, changing gears, engine note. The model S is a close second though, if you had to have *one* car for everything you can't go wrong with an S :) :)

Reactions: BBone
@darxsys: Totally agree! I get a rental when travelling for work every now and then. They are hilarious. Last one, a few weeks ago, I was with a colleague from work (who knows I drive a Tesla), so I took the piss out of it the whole trip.

"whats that horrible grinding noise from up front?"
"maybe the battery must is almost flat, this is all the accelerations it's got!"
"whats this stick on the floor for? All it does is increase/decrease that strange grinding noise from the front"

...and so on..... and yes I've also walked away from them with the engine running and the key in the ignition. Super easy to do if you are mega jet-lagged or tired or whatever.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and BBone
Try to drive new honda accord touring and then say how do you feel!
I been driving Tesla S for 5 days now (friends car) and I own 2019 Accord Touring.
Accord is 32k and 2015 model S was 51k.
I was surprised that I miss my Accord after 5 days now.
Accord has HUD with GPS directions , Cross Traffic Monitor, plays FLAC files with album covers (Tesla has problem with this),Remote start (both from keys or app),customizable information on the in-dash display,wireless phone charger, built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi with hotspot functionality, and all driving security sensors I need.
I love Tesla acceleration but that is not enough to justify price difference of 20k between new car and 4 year old one.

Last edited:
I been driving Tesla S for 5 days now (friends car) and I own 2019 Accord Touring.
Accord has HUD with GPS directions , Cross Traffic Monitor, plays FLAC files with album covers (Tesla has problem with this),Remote start (both from keys or app),customizable information on the in-dash display,wireless phone charger, built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi with hotspot functionality, and all driving security sensors I need.
I love Tesla acceleration but that is not enough to justify price difference of 20k between new car and 4 year old one.
Enjoy your Accord. Honda's are nice but they are no Tesla.

I've had my Model S for about 18 months(30,000 mi). I have left my wife's ice suv running twice:( Once for about two hours in the garage.
Fortunately, the car has the shut off system where when you are siitting at a light the engine stops to save gas. Could have been disastrous.

Everything is about perspective. Btw, Model S also has directions in the dashboard, remote "start" and all the sensors you need so I am not even sure how FLAC files make any difference. Hotspot I couldn't care less about, it's a car.

Reactions: jgs
I bought the wife a 2014 MS, I daily drive a chevy volt to work and back. I have a year 2000 porsche 911 cab for fun drives

I agree as far as a daily driver, since I started really putting a lot of miles a daily to and from work in my EV (and charging at work/home hence no hassle with having to find open charge spots) I can't imagine daily driving a gasser. Even in traffic, in bad jams that I deal with here sitting in traffic with a gas car idling away would suck. The EV is silent and smooth and ironically enough *more* efficient when creeping along in jams. No having to regularly fill up with expensive polluting gas or diesel, no engine oil changes, air filter changes, belts, water pumps, bearings, alternators to fix. AC compressors failing etc etc

For fun weekend drives the 911 is still great, it has a lot more connection to the driving experience than and EV does, steering feel, handling, changing gears, engine note. The model S is a close second though, if you had to have *one* car for everything you can't go wrong with an S :) :)

In all honesty, 911 or M5 or whatever certainly are fun cars. I would appreciate them MUCH more if they didn't produce unnecessary noise. Not sure what satisfaction people get from that, I certainly never did, even when I drove an ICE.

I've had my S for 2 months now. Yesterday, I left it at the service center to get a few rattles fixed. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Tesla loaners so I got an Enterprise rental car.

Oh boy, does it make you appreciate your Tesla. The rental is loud, terrible to drive, pressing the gas pedal gives almost no response for a solid second or two. I feel like I have no control of the car. It's crazy how easy it is to get used to the low center of mass in a Tesla. With this car, I feel like I am floating on the road with absolutely no control over it.

Numerous times I let go off the gas pedal and then wondered why the car isn't breaking. I almost left the car turned on yesterday when I came home, forgetting it won't shut itself off.

I can't believe it took me only 2 months to completely erase this paradigm from my head. I miss my car :(.

Yeah and how about turning on the windshield wipers when I was attempting to put the ICE in Reverse...

• Funny
Reactions: darxsys
I almost left the car turned on yesterday when I came home
I did that with a rental a little while after I got my S. Left it parked at a curb in SF and almost had walked into the restaurant where I was meeting friends when I realized what I'd done and ran back. Friends were also laughing at my lame parallel park job, which was for various reasons but one of them was I'd gotten addicted to the reverse cam and the rental didn't have one. (It was not a good rental car.)

When I travel to Europe I always get a rental with a stick, which gives me just enough time with one so by the end of the rental I remember why I don't actually miss it. :)

Reactions: BBone