Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Between Ottawa and Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my Toronto to Ottawa trip about a month ago. Average energy to Ottawa was 168 Wh/km. There must have been a tail wind. I took the 401 and 416. Total distance was 452km. I probably could have made it on one charge, but a stop for dinner in Kingston gave me an extra 70k. I had 90 left when I arrived. I travelled normal highway speeds and did a little drafting. I did not go slow.

On the way home I used 178 Wh/km and did the trip along highway 7 in one go and had 31k left. I was very impressed. There was no wind going west but it was raining constantly.

Still, very low energy consumption.

I used ranged mode. The temp was about 18 C.

When I got home, I charged for 2 hours at 70 amps and then my wife drove to Oshawa. That's good use of the twin chargers twice in one weekend. I am waiting for the newer fuses so I haven't tried 80 amps. What an incredible car.

For the chargers at Best Western, do you need twin chargers to draw the 70amps? I don't have them and the max I was able to get was 40amp which was a rate of about 38km/hr. I did not realize it would be so slow and had to wait several hours for a top up to make it home. I used the charger at Ottawa city hall and got just under 40km/hr. It was free and very convenient while walking around downtown. We easily killed time there.

For the chargers at Best Western, do you need twin chargers to draw the 70amps? I don't have them and the max I was able to get was 40amp which was a rate of about 38km/hr. I did not realize it would be so slow and had to wait several hours for a top up to make it home. I used the charger at Ottawa city hall and got just under 40km/hr. It was free and very convenient while walking around downtown. We easily killed time there.

When I got my second hand Tesla from Toronto, I had the seller drop off the car at the service centre to get two upgrades; twin chargers to get the higher speed charging along the sun country highway, and the jump seats. Have not regretted either upgrade.

Maybe if they start rolling out the chademo chargers in our area, since an adapter will soon be available for less than 1/3 the post delivery cost of the twin charger upgrade ($1000 vs. $3600) and enables charging at up to 150 mph, I may have some buyer's remorse. But I've made good use of the twin chargers on some trips to Montreal and Toronto thus far.

Regarding the charger at City Hall, twin charger won't help as from memory it is only a 28 Amp charger.

When I got my second hand Tesla from Toronto, I had the seller drop off the car at the service centre to get two upgrades; twin chargers to get the higher speed charging along the sun country highway, and the jump seats. Have not regretted either upgrade.

Congrats on the new car! I'm curious about the jump seats. I was given to understand that they couldn't be retrofitted because cars with them had bumper reinforcements that the non-jump seat cars lack. Did they do the bumper reinforcements for you too?

Congrats on the new car! I'm curious about the jump seats. I was given to understand that they couldn't be retrofitted because cars with them had bumper reinforcements that the non-jump seat cars lack. Did they do the bumper reinforcements for you too?

I thought that all of the earlier cars had the reinforcement as standard and at some point (late spring, early summer) they changed it to only have that for the cars that ordered the jump seats. I would assume that there would be a set of VINs that could be potentially upgraded because of that but I ignore what is the last VIN that would have the reinforced bumper without the seats installed.

I thought that all of the earlier cars had the reinforcement as standard and at some point (late spring, early summer) they changed it to only have that for the cars that ordered the jump seats. I would assume that there would be a set of VINs that could be potentially upgraded because of that but I ignore what is the last VIN that would have the reinforced bumper without the seats installed.

Yes, I believe this is correct. All the Signatures and some of the early Production VINs had the reinforcement.

Just picked up my new P85+ at the Mississauga service centre yesterday for the trip back to Ottawa. Unfortunately, they didn't do a range charge - I guess that I should have specifically asked them to. Stopped off at the Yorkdale Mall and used the HPWC that the Tesla store has in the parking garage for 1.5 hrs to get a full charge. Wandered around the Tesla and Apple stores and had nice fish tacos at Joey's Yorkdale to pass the time.

Drove along the 401 to Cobourg and found that cruise control seemed to help with the "mileage". Mostly drove under 110 km/hr. Stopped at the Best Western in Cobourg for a half hour charge and had a nice slice of apple pie & ice cream by the fireplace in their restaurant (this charging is not helping my waistline).

The shortest distance home was taking route 45 up to the 7 and then the 7 the rest of the way. Don't think that I would take the 45 again - seemed to take a long time. I used cruise control most of the time and adjusted it up or down for traffic, which was light, and to try to keep a 50 km buffer between how far I had to go and what range I had. Mostly drove around 95 km/hr. Was a bit more aggressive as I got close to home and ended up with 37 km of range left.

Trip statistics were:
Distance 415 km, Energy: 81.6 kWh, Avg Energy: 196 Wh/km

Loving the car except for one thing: the windshield wipers emit emit a high pitched shriek when they start if the windshield isn't wet enough. Encountered a number of pockets of light rain and I've now been conditioned to dread using them.

Haven't got my HPWC installed yet so I had to back the car into my garage (with single garage doors, a sloping driveway and a bump up into the garage); a rather hair raising experience. Was able to connect into my dyer outlet with inches of cable to spare.

Almost fully charged now and looking forward to taking it out for a drive. I should be Ok now to charge from 110V until my HPWC is installed.

Just picked up my new P85+ at the Mississauga service centre yesterday for the trip back to Ottawa. Unfortunately, they didn't do a range charge - I guess that I should have specifically asked them to. Stopped off at the Yorkdale Mall and used the HPWC that the Tesla store has in the parking garage for 1.5 hrs to get a full charge. Wandered around the Tesla and Apple stores and had nice fish tacos at Joey's Yorkdale to pass the time.

Drove along the 401 to Cobourg and found that cruise control seemed to help with the "mileage". Mostly drove under 110 km/hr. Stopped at the Best Western in Cobourg for a half hour charge and had a nice slice of apple pie & ice cream by the fireplace in their restaurant (this charging is not helping my waistline).

The shortest distance home was taking route 45 up to the 7 and then the 7 the rest of the way. Don't think that I would take the 45 again - seemed to take a long time. I used cruise control most of the time and adjusted it up or down for traffic, which was light, and to try to keep a 50 km buffer between how far I had to go and what range I had. Mostly drove around 95 km/hr. Was a bit more aggressive as I got close to home and ended up with 37 km of range left.

Trip statistics were:
Distance 415 km, Energy: 81.6 kWh, Avg Energy: 196 Wh/km

Loving the car except for one thing: the windshield wipers emit emit a high pitched shriek when they start if the windshield isn't wet enough. Encountered a number of pockets of light rain and I've now been conditioned to dread using them.

Haven't got my HPWC installed yet so I had to back the car into my garage (with single garage doors, a sloping driveway and a bump up into the garage); a rather hair raising experience. Was able to connect into my dyer outlet with inches of cable to spare.

Almost fully charged now and looking forward to taking it out for a drive. I should be Ok now to charge from 110V until my HPWC is installed.

Fantastic and HUGE congrats on the P+!!

Post some pics when you get a chance of that beauty!

(this charging is not helping my waistline).

LOL that certainly is a danger! Superchargers will help with that.

The shortest distance home was taking route 45 up to the 7 and then the 7 the rest of the way. Don't think that I would take the 45 again - seemed to take a long time.

My favourite is County Road 10 (Perth Road). Takes the same time as the 416, but much shorter and lower speed limit so much less power usage, avoids the larger towns, not a lot of traffic, and best of all it's a beautiful drive.

Loving the car except for one thing: the windshield wipers emit emit a high pitched shriek when they start

That will probably go away after some usage.

I find the car is easy to back up once you're used to it. Configure the auto-tilt mirrors so you can see the side of the car, and down a bit so you can see the ground. Use the side mirrors to align the car; the rear view camera is only useful for avoiding obstacles and determining when to stop. No good for angles. (Wish they'd add digital guidelines!)

I found 110V was inadequate for daily driving, but I got my car in the winter and charging in the cold is even slower. At least you have a dryer plug to top up if needed.

Feel free to drop by our office at 59 Grenfell Crescent for 70A if needed until you get your HPWC installed.

Yes, I believe this is correct. All the Signatures and some of the early Production VINs had the reinforcement.

Interesting. I wonder if mine does. I'll never add the seats, so don't care... just curious. I had thought the reason you had to factory order was so the car would be built with the reinforcements, and the only ones who had them installed later were the ones where the actual factory ordered seats were back-ordered. I didn't know all early cars were "child seat ready".

Interesting. I wonder if mine does. I'll never add the seats, so don't care... just curious. I had thought the reason you had to factory order was so the car would be built with the reinforcements, and the only ones who had them installed later were the ones where the actual factory ordered seats were back-ordered. I didn't know all early cars were "child seat ready".
My recollection matches Doug_G's. More specifically, I recall them saying that the "not adding the reinforcement if you don't purchase the rear kid seats" was a change that they made in the production line a few thousand after Canadian Sig deliveries were done.

I don't recall whether it was purely a cost savings or if there was a consumer advantage (weight?) as well.

Thanks, I've had it for about 5 months and am loving it. There was a post that indicated that VIN 5428 and higher and/or vehicle production after March 1st, 2013 were no longer able to get the jump seats installed post delivery since they did not do the bumper reinforcements on all cars anymore. I confirmed with Tesla HQ that mine would qualify as I was in the VIN 52XX range.

i am going to be driving up to Canada quite a bit. What type of cable do i need to charge at those 70A SCN locations (best westerns etc?) Just want to make sure i have what i need. Just orderd my p85+ today and will be trying to find a way to make my way up to cottage country from new york soon..

The SCH 70A chargers use standard J1772 plugs, you simply need to bring the adapter that came with your car.

Of course, to make use of the 70A, you need twin chargers in your car.

Congrats on your purchase, I followed your indoctrination on the "panamera..." thread. :wink: