Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Impressions: Model 3 vs. Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y is both my first Tesla and the first time I've ever driven/sat in one too. Recently, I had tint and PPF added to my new Model Y (Performance w/ PUP) so my tint shop offered a courtesy Tesla Model 3 loaner (long range, non-performance) for a couple of days. This gave me a great opportunity to compare the two cars. Here's what I thought.....

-Cabin Noise -- I couldn't believe how much more noise I heard inside the Model 3. Now I see why so many aftermarket accessory companies sell road noise reducing kits. I could hear air coming in around some of the seals for the front portion of the glass roof at any speed above 40mph. Not a loud hissing, but just enough that you would notice it. Tire noise was also much louder than my Model Y. I think the seamless glass in the Model Y was more about eliminating road noise than the aesthetics. Model Y takes the edge by a lot in this area.

-Brake Feel -- This one probably isn't fair for me to describe because I have the Performance over-sized brakes on my Y, but the Model 3 brake modulation was much rougher and deliberate. If I lightly tapped the brakes they didn't respond well....push them down slightly further and the brakes grabbed hold much harder than I intended. I give the Y the edge, but like I said, it's probably not fair to compare performance brakes to standard brakes.

-Steering and Handling -- I love how my Model Y handles, but the Model 3 felt more like a slot car than my car. I truly enjoyed the handling on the 3 and being lower in the seat just felt more natural during tight cornering. I know they put the Model Y seats up on a a six inch riser, but I think I would have liked a 3 inch riser a little more. I love how in the Model 3 that you can better see the front fenders which allows you to feel a better connection with the car. The nod here goes to the 3.

-Acceleration/Torque -- Even though the Model 3 wasn't the performance edition, I was still blown away at the torque at nearly any speed. I was driving an Audi S4 before my Tesla so that is what I'm comparing it to. The non-performance Model 3 would still blow away my Audi, especially when you want to accelerate on the road from 45 to 65mph. I was beyond impressed with the Model 3 power. Of course I'd give my Model Y Performance the edge, but the Model 3 long range was impressive and was faster than nearly any other car on the road.

I truly enjoyed driving the Model 3 and see why there are so many satisfied owners out there. If they had designed the trunk to open more like a hatchback, I might have been persuaded to go with the 3.

-Acceleration/Torque -- Even though the Model 3 wasn't the performance edition, I was still blown away at the torque at nearly any speed.
Interesting review, I have a Model 3 LR AWD and when the front motor get engaged under heavy acceleration, you really feel the boost.

I truly enjoyed driving the Model 3 and see why there are so many satisfied owners out there.
If they had designed the trunk to open more like a hatchback, I might have been persuaded to go with the 3.
About the hatchback, when looking at the Model S, there is not that much difference of height with the Model 3.
I really wished the Model 3 had also a hatch.

full

Another example is the Hyundai Ionic hatchback which is shorter but has the same height (176" L x 57" H) than the Model 3 (185" L x 57" H).

ioniq1.jpg

-Cabin Noise -- I couldn't believe how much more noise I heard inside the Model 3. Now I see why so many aftermarket accessory companies sell road noise reducing kits. I could hear air coming in around some of the seals for the front portion of the glass roof at any speed above 40mph. Not a loud hissing, but just enough that you would notice it. Tire noise was also much louder than my Model Y. I think the seamless glass in the Model Y was more about eliminating road noise than the aesthetics. Model Y takes the edge by a lot in this area.

This is one thing that I was REALLY concerned about with the Y. I first test-drove a 3LR before my local Service Center got a Model Y to test drive. I will also say the road noise on the Y is not as bad and pronounced as the 3LR

Sounds like you had an exceptionally bad Model 3 loaner. I have a 2020 Model 3 built last December which doesn't exhibit the wind noise described or the brake sensation described.
His loaner was most likely an early VIN with the roof noise issue. The mid 2018 Model 3s and later were quieter. Sometime in 2019, Tesla made the Model 3 much quieter still.