Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving on Sunshine

Do you have solar to power your car?

• Yes

Votes: 251 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 12.6%
  • No, but hope to soon

Votes: 95 24.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Bollar

That's a gorgeous system... what panels/inverter did you go with?

Thank you!

They're 250W Renesola Monos w/ Enphase M215 micro inverters. I do like micro inverters and working with 240vac is more comfortable for me than dealing with 600vdc. Enphase, however, is on my S-list because they're starting to make it expensive for end-users to access their own data.

Last edited:
Net 0 living, is it realistically possible?
If I read your bill correctly, Appalachian Power pays you zero for your excess power? Looks like you used 465 kWh, generated 662 kWh. The tariffed power rate (energy only) is 4.873¢/kWh plus 1.40785¢/kWh from a fuel surcharge = 6.28085¢/kWh total. It would be fair to pay you that much back, which would drive your bill negative. You need to drive your Model S more and use up that free power!

Update

I assume you're on Tariff N.M.S. (Net Metering Service) on Sheet 17-1 of your tariff? So you're rolling net kWh injections forward to offset use in later months (within your billing year). That's a pretty sweet deal; no wonder your utility limits N.M.S. to 1% of total utility load.

Last edited:
Correct AEP allows me to "bank" excess production so say in July I use 1300 KWh and make 900 KWh my bill will still be the minimum of $7.21 as I will use my spring excess. If over 12 months I produce more than I use, they thank me for my "donation". So my goal is to offset 90% of my usage.

Correct AEP allows me to "bank" excess production so say in July I use 1300 KWh and make 900 KWh my bill will still be the minimum of $7.21 as I will use my spring excess. If over 12 months I produce more than I use, they thank me for my "donation". So my goal is to offset 90% of my usage.
Sounds like the math supports buying batteries to some degree, no?

Sounds like the math supports buying batteries to some degree, no?
I do not see how. I am getting a 1500 KWh "battery" for $7.21 a month. I am sure a real battery approaching that size would be 20X that. The other option is to over build the solar with a smaller battery but that too will not be inexpensive. For me the grid is a great storage option and with the SunnyBoy SMA inverters I can still get power when the grid is down but the sun is up.

I don't think so, as long as you don't over-size your solar array. Under the net-metering tariff, you can use the grid as a battery for free.

Depending on jurisdiction, with some caveats. In Ontario, Canada the generation has to net out to zero every 12 months. You can have a generation surplus from month to month, but any surplus balance would get cleared annually. An alternative, and preferred, mechanism would be Ontario's Feed In Tariff program that separately meters the solar and pays a premium for the renewable power supplied to the grid.

I do not see how. I am getting a 1500 KWh "battery" for $7.21 a month. I am sure a real battery approaching that size would be 20X that. The other option is to over build the solar with a smaller battery but that too will not be inexpensive. For me the grid is a great storage option and with the SunnyBoy SMA inverters I can still get power when the grid is down but the sun is up.

It would be much more than 20x as much, wouldn't it? Assuming a low cost of $200 per kWh, a 1500 kWh battery would cost $300k. With depreciation, renting it would surely cost at least 15% per year, or almost 4k per month, so 600x as much as the grid.

Sorry, let me clarify my point...

My understanding was that people were dealing with "no payback" for "overage". In such cases, if the power folks set the limits too low doesn't it make sense to feed the grid until you reach your limit for payback and then store the rest into local batteries? It seems like there has to be an "overly limited utility" threshold point where it ends up paying for the batteries -- so essentially you get "power outage at night" backup for "free".

Sorry, let me clarify my point...

My understanding was that people were dealing with "no payback" for "overage". In such cases, if the power folks set the limits too low doesn't it make sense to feed the grid until you reach your limit for payback and then store the rest into local batteries? It seems like there has to be an "overly limited utility" threshold point where it ends up paying for the batteries -- so essentially you get "power outage at night" backup for "free".
No, I don't think so. Under the particular tariff @dhrivnak faces, he gets to use the AEP grid like a battery for free, with power stored up to 12 months.

Suppose that he were to oversize his array to produce, say, 150% of his typical annual usage. What good would it do to have a battery storing the surplus? The utility will pay him $0 for it regardless of when he puts it into the grid. With this tariff, the optimal array size is to produce just below 100% of your annual energy requirement, and install no battery. If power outages are an issue, then install a CNG/propane backup.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Somewhat related...

Plus (11 months, 3 weeks)
Plus.png

Minus (20.5 months)
Minus.png

No, I don't think so. Under the particular tariff @dhrivnak faces, he gets to use the AEP grid like a battery for free, with power stored up to 12 months.

Suppose that he were to oversize his array to produce, say, 150% of his typical annual usage. What good would it do to have a battery storing the surplus? The utility will pay him $0 for it regardless of when he puts it into the grid. With this tariff, the optimal array size is to produce just below 100% of your annual energy requirement, and install no battery. If power outages are an issue, then install a CNG/propane backup.
To me, the most egregious utility situation would be one where the meter never "spins backwards" and any grid in-feed would be "lost" from a billing perspective. In this situation, a smart battery charger that monitors the current on the mains just inside the meter would be a good solution. The ideal strategy would be to minimize the grid draw without letting it go negative by charging the batteries with variable current. Charging would only stop when the top of the battery SOC window is reached or the solar generation drops to equal or less than the household demand. Once charging stops, the battery inverters can feed power into the house to minimize the grid draw until the bottom of the battery SOC is reached, at which point all the power will come from the grid. However, I don't know of a specific solution that can do this.

Any details that you can share on the nature of solar installation on such a roof?

I can't tell you much about how the rails were installed if you mean their attachment to the roof. They stuck some kind of posts down and under the shingles, and sealed them with silicone. The system is going to be 6.6kW with 26 panels. REC255PE model panels made in Singapore. Enphase M215 micro-inverters. Total cost $21,216. Texas Solar Outfitters is the company - Houston Texas.
IMG_1363.JPG

This is the exact same kind of roofing material that I have. I do need a new roof this year and am contemplating solar at the same time.

Any details that you can share on the nature of solar installation on such a roof?

I would strongly recommend the installation of a steel roof before you install solar. The roof should last as long (fifty years) as the life of the solar system without significant repair or replacement work.