Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving pass exit ramp/merge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I’m driving in the right lane ona two lane freeway. My model Y was centering the lane every time there is a exit with lane widened briefly and then aggressively pulls the car back when the lane narrows again. This was so scary...do your cars do the same?

If I’m driving in the right lane ona two lane freeway. My model Y was centering the lane every time there is a exit with lane widened briefly and then aggressively pulls the car back when the lane narrows again. This was so scary...do your cars do the same?

Yes. It is a known failure in the current version of AP. It happens because right now, the lane centering is "dumb". It is programmed to always center in the middle of where it thinks the lane is. Hopefully at some point in the future, Tesla will program the lane keeping to know not to do that anymore.

Yes. Been doing that since I've owned the car. Very annoying, and sometimes quite dangerous. I get it more at on-ramps than exits, but it all depends on the lane markings. Here in NC the on-ramps are marked quite well. In VA, however, they are not.

Does the same thing with left turn lanes as well. My wife dislikes the Tesla on Autosteer because of what she calls the whiplash effects.
As a computer engineer, I understand what it is doing (mostly) but it does catch me by surprise once in a while. All part of the "fun".

It does a little better in some cases like this if you have navigate on autopilot enabled, at least if you're passing a spot where 1 lane becomes 2 (e.g. exit lane appears). Still isn't smooth when 2 lanes merge though, unless the merge is pretty short.

I do pass at least a couple spots frequently that fail even on NoA. One is a ridiculously wide lane that ends up splitting off into one exit and one non-exit lane; the car repeatedly loses sight of where it should be until you pass the exit. I imagine it is because the lane is basically the width of 2 lanes but has no dividers, and it confuses even human drivers. Another is a spot before an exit where the lane lines and road surface are uniquely designed such that the car always swerves right (incorrect move, still can't quite tell why it happens), left (correct itself to center within the actual lane), and then right again to exit the freeway (correct move, maybe 50 feet past the questionable spot).