Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driving the X on unimproved roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove by a house for sale the other day on some slightly bombed-out gravel roads. I set the suspension to high so we had a buffer zone on craters like that. Let's just say the car did better than my wife's knockers...and I make sure they're contained/corralled with high-quality, properly-fitting garments.

I saw a video where the MX goes on a dirt ( gravel and stones ) for 10+ miles in Death Valley . Speed was around 10~ 15 mile. Main concern was sharp rocks since the stones/rocks were not large enough to brush against the undercarriage and damage the battery.

My sister and I have inherited a mountain cabin in Sequoia National Park in a district called Mineral King in Central California. It is the site of a 1880 silver rush and there are now about 30-40 cabins built in the area in the 1920s as a summer refuge for valley folk from the heat and malaria from the central San Joaquin Valley. You drive about 30 miles east of Visalia, California, and about 3-4 miles from the Sequoia National Park entrance you turn right off highway 198 and up a 25 mile, one to one and a half lane wide road that is sometimes dirt, sometimes paved, with over 700 switchbacks and blind corners, no guardrails, to get to Mineral King. The road is not for the faint of heart.

The dirt road part is full of ruts and deep holes and rocky protuberances and it takes about 2 hours to go up to the elevation of 7800 feet. The rewards are spectacular, being in a "u" shaped mountain valley with trout-filled streams running through the valley, deer and wildlife walking nearby, and spectacular mountains and hanging valleys around.

At my last trip up the road this summer I counted 2 model 3s, a model Y and a model x who made the trip up. I had a chance to talk to some of the owners who charged in Fresno or Traver and made the rocky trip up with 30 KWh to spare. Of course, going down the steep hill, they will regain some of the charge they spent going up. Still, I do not have the guts to make the trip in my Model X. I worry what a rocky outcropping will do to my battery.

Thought you would like to know there are people braver than me

Mike P

Attachments

• IMG_7053.JPG
    IMG_7053.JPG
    945 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7077.jpeg
    IMG_7077.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 47
My sister and I have inherited a mountain cabin in Sequoia National Park in a district called Mineral King in Central California. It is the site of a 1880 silver rush and there are now about 30-40 cabins built in the area in the 1920s as a summer refuge for valley folk from the heat and malaria from the central San Joaquin Valley. You drive about 30 miles east of Visalia, California, and about 3-4 miles from the Sequoia National Park entrance you turn right off highway 198 and up a 25 mile, one to one and a half lane wide road that is sometimes dirt, sometimes paved, with over 700 switchbacks and blind corners, no guardrails, to get to Mineral King. The road is not for the faint of heart.

The dirt road part is full of ruts and deep holes and rocky protuberances and it takes about 2 hours to go up to the elevation of 7800 feet. The rewards are spectacular, being in a "u" shaped mountain valley with trout-filled streams running through the valley, deer and wildlife walking nearby, and spectacular mountains and hanging valleys around.

At my last trip up the road this summer I counted 2 model 3s, a model Y and a model x who made the trip up. I had a chance to talk to some of the owners who charged in Fresno or Traver and made the rocky trip up with 30 KWh to spare. Of course, going down the steep hill, they will regain some of the charge they spent going up. Still, I do not have the guts to make the trip in my Model X. I worry what a rocky outcropping will do to my battery.

Thought you would like to know there are people braver than me

Mike P

Sounds beautiful. If the 3s and Ys are making it with fixed suspensions, you shouldn't have a problem with the X, especially in high/extra high suspension. Just go slowly so you aren't bouncing up and down a lot. The battery is well protected, so a light bottom kiss isn't a problem. Keep an eye on your suspension height since sometimes it lowers to normal even while keeping a slow speed.

Reactions: Harvey Danger