Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving to Vegas from LA for 1st time-- a couple questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nooooooo. I could tell from your original post that you planned to drive fast and kept reading to see you confirm it.

The A/C doesn't matter, but speed absolutely devastates range. Speeding uphill will leave you and your buddies on the side of the road calling for a tow. There is no way you can charge enough in Barstow to get to Primm at 90 mph.

Boo. Fiiiine. So is 75mph ok as some suggested? The idea of driving 65 on the open freeway is lame. Tough to watch cars passing you by in the desert.

I have made it from Barstow to Primm several times avg. 85mph+ you will have to charge longer in Primm, but it is doable. My wife would rather sit at a charger rather than let cars pass her, so that is what we do. We have family in Vegas and go all the time and truth be told 95% of the time we take the ICE cause we can make it in 3.5hrs and never have to stop once. It is hard to beat that. As soon as the 100D comes out I am trading in even though my P85D is only a year old, because of being able to do Vegas in 1 charge.

Curious has anyone made it from OC or LA to Primm, bypassing Barstow?

I have made it from Barstow to Primm several times avg. 85mph+ you will have to charge longer in Primm, but it is doable. My wife would rather sit at a charger rather than let cars pass her, so that is what we do. We have family in Vegas and go all the time and truth be told 95% of the time we take the ICE cause we can make it in 3.5hrs and never have to stop once. It is hard to beat that. As soon as the 100D comes out I am trading in even though my P85D is only a year old, because of being able to do Vegas in 1 charge.

Curious has anyone made it from OC or LA to Primm, bypassing Barstow?
I have the opposite reaction from your wife. I don't like to pass the same cars twice and wait behind the slow person in the fast lane going around the semis. So I would rather just drive at a slower steadier speed and not stop, but my wife and kids always have to use the bathroom at Barstow anyway.

West Hollywood
Beverly Center to Bellagio, driving ~90mph on I-15
35-48 minutes charging in Barstow, 10 minutes in Primm, (if you drive slow you can get by with 35 minute charge in Barstow)
(19" tires perfect weather)
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 10.27.33 AM.png
21" tires perfect weather)
Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 10.35.38 AM.png
EV Trip Planner

brianman: Mandarin Oriental...right next to Aria. They say the valet can charge the car, so I'm thinking of resetting it to 100% battery limit when I get there so I have 250 miles of range for the drive back.

lump: thank you for the ev trip planner info. I tried to use there site but it wasn't clear to me how to input speed. Not sure how the speed multiplier works, so thanks.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
Thinking about a tesla first time....usual commute is only 20 miles one way so i was going to go w model s 60 upgrade to 75 in the future if needed.

I would be interested in going to Vegas. How possible is this w 4 ppl and luggage and a/c on in the hot summers going 75-80 mph? Could it be done with a model 60 or 75?

If were to get a 90d or 100d could the trip be done w nonstop? Distance is 235 miles but hilly and sometimes windy as prev posters have mentioned

Thinking about a tesla first time....usual commute is only 20 miles one way so i was going to go w model s 60 upgrade to 75 in the future if needed.

I would be interested in going to Vegas. How possible is this w 4 ppl and luggage and a/c on in the hot summers going 75-80 mph? Could it be done with a model 60 or 75?

If were to get a 90d or 100d could the trip be done w nonstop? Distance is 235 miles but hilly and sometimes windy as prev posters have mentioned

I have an 85 and stop in Barstow... depending on which hotel I'm staying at, some have charging (like Aria) to be safe, bring your UMC with NEMA 14-50 plug, they can charge that at valet...

Or I stop at Primm and charge it up to have driving around charge and vampire drain protection if I'm in a hotel that doesn't have charging (Monte Carlo the last few trips...).

I drive speed limit to 5 mph above...

Thinking about a Tesla first time....usual commute is only 20 miles one way so i was going to go w Model S 60 upgrade to 75 in the future if needed.

We drove our P85D from Las Vegas to Orange County in the hot summer last year and ran into a young couple with a baby + luggage in a Model S 60 at Primm driving the same route. We drove 80 mph against a minor headwind and arrived at Barstow ~15% battery remaining. About 20 minutes later the couple in the Model S 60 came crawling into the Barstow SC. The driver got out and couldn't get his Tesla to take a charge at 3 different spaces so I went over to assist. Turned out he'd run his Model S 60 to 0% battery remaining. OUCH. I told him from what I'd read on this forum running down to 0% would require his Tesla to be plugged in for ~ 10 minutes to reinitialize his 60 kWh battery to a base level before it could charge. I gave him Tesla's SC support number who confirmed this... and sure enough ~ 10 minutes later his older Model S 60 (not a new "software limited" S 60) started to charge albeit at a slower rate than our P85D.

Turns out he was trying to keep up with our 75-80 mph pace into the headwind... and had to slow down dramatically when his Tesla indicated he wasn't going to make it to Barstow. I showed him how to watch his navigation display to monitor his expected % battery remaining to his next SC and lower his speed accordingly.

IMHO you should be able to make it between Primm and Barstow in a Model S 60 with 4 people + luggage + A/C on a hot summer day... but not going 75-80 mph unless you draft a high profile vehicle. Otherwise you'll have to slow down... Probably to 65-70 mph, use Range Mode, keep the AC as high as you can stand it, tires inflated to rating on door, and let AutoPilot drive. Otherwise you should upgrade to a bigger battery for much less "range anxiety".

Sorry about the above error, it was due to some ad running below the posts.

Just a suggestion while in LV. If you decide to use the downtown SCs, there are several very nice restaurants within a block of the chargers. Also there is a quite interesting park called Container Park, which is made up of shipping containers very neatly assembled to make a small park with bars and restaurants inside.

BTW the SCs downtown are under a building and a little hard to locate.

I frequently make this trip from San Diego to Vegas. First off, your battery HATES sitting at 100%. Charge to 90% overnight then top off to 100% immediately before leaving. In Barstow, I charge to 90% - maybe more if there's room at the charger. Don't want to hog up the spot. Cookies and coffee at the nearby hotel. I then stop in Primm to get to 80/90%. I usually avoid charging in Vegas. If you are using a destination charger, I'd again avoid sitting at 100%. It's only 45-50 miles to Primm.

Good luck!

I frequently make this trip from San Diego to Vegas. First off, your battery HATES sitting at 100%. Charge to 90% overnight then top off to 100% immediately before leaving. In Barstow, I charge to 90% - maybe more if there's room at the charger. Don't want to hog up the spot. Cookies and coffee at the nearby hotel. I then stop in Primm to get to 80/90%. I usually avoid charging in Vegas. If you are using a destination charger, I'd again avoid sitting at 100%. It's only 45-50 miles to Primm.

Good luck!
Cool what size battery is ur tesla? And how long does it take at the charger to go to 90%? Is it practical to make this trip in a 60?