Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove Audi e-tron Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much what I saw on the Porsche forum too. Long time Porsche owners say how nice my Tesla drives compare to Porsche, how the Taycan is over-priced, and how I will cancel my Taycan reservation and buy a Model Y (I think he meant a Model 3) performance.

We've been hearing Tesla competitors are coming all those years. Now they came and we realize there is still no Tesla competitor. It had years of head start and was moving fast. Very hard for others to catch up now.

Some mentioned the Model X. Other than bigger and taller it's actually very responsive and does not drive like your average SUV at all, We've also owned Explorer and MDX in the past.

Of course there are Tesla competitors. There always have been and always will be. But instead of taking sales away from Tesla, at this stage I'd say that these competitors are expanding the size of the overall EV market. At only a few percent of market share, there's plenty of room for everyone. Remember, Elon's goal wasn't so much to just sell lots of EVs, but to instead accelerate the rate at which the world adopts safe and clean energy. Tesla Motors is simply one way to accomplish that.

Of course there are Tesla competitors. There always have been and always will be. But instead of taking sales away from Tesla, at this stage I'd say that these competitors are expanding the size of the overall EV market. At only a few percent of market share, there's plenty of room for everyone. Remember, Elon's goal wasn't so much to just sell lots of EVs, but to instead accelerate the rate at which the world adopts safe and clean energy. Tesla Motors is simply one way to accomplish that.
Good point. The only company taking sales away from Tesla is Tesla.

Reactions: Az_Rael and Guy V
The Model X/Y free flow body style is for aerodynamic reasons that is important for an EV (less so for ICE cars because they are already inefficient).

Ya mean, ya can't just drop a battery pack from an X into this and get 295 miles of range????? :eek: Dag-Nabbit! o_O

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 2.33.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 2.33.57 PM.png
    807.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I own a model 3 but I prefer the traditional boxy shape of an SUV and to that end I drove an Audi e-Tron Quattro today. I was so disappointed and will cancel my order. It seems to me that the overall appearance, fit and paint for this $80,000 vehicle are better than my Model 3. That said the driving experience was extremely poor in comparison, it drove like a truck and from my perspective the user interface isn't nearly as intuitive. I guess I could go on about it but suffice to say it isn't anything like my experience driving my M3. Certainly made me appreciate Tesla even more.
Well I’ve got a different reason. Already that I don’t like the car, but worst of all, in Quebec, etron means poop.

I own a model 3 but I prefer the traditional boxy shape of an SUV and to that end I drove an Audi e-Tron Quattro today. I was so disappointed and will cancel my order. It seems to me that the overall appearance, fit and paint for this $80,000 vehicle are better than my Model 3. That said the driving experience was extremely poor in comparison, it drove like a truck and from my perspective the user interface isn't nearly as intuitive. I guess I could go on about it but suffice to say it isn't anything like my experience driving my M3. Certainly made me appreciate Tesla even more.

Yup. My impressions from a brief spin in it also. It is a big, fat lumbering load of a vehicle, and I doubt that virtually a single comparison driver will prefer its driving dynamics to a Model 3. Then again, its appeal to Audiphiles (not to be confused with Audiophiles!) is stylistic - it does have a really nice interior. The ICE-centric press, which has been, in some quarters, touting the Etron and the upcoming sister sedan as "for-sure" Tesla killers must be smoking something good!

Reactions: hcdavis3 and mcl627
Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the Model Y when it comes out. I can't quite get together the $50,000 +/- for a new Model 3 right now, but in a year or so, I'll be watching closely for M3s coming on the resale market as early adopters decide to go for the MY.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Had my X at ~135 mph for a stretch in the California desert last week. It drove pretty well, but the steering and suspension felt a tad loose. (Suspension is set to LOW.) This is in comparison to my other ICE cars, a BMW X3 and MB E550. Those have the "sport mode" function which tightens everything up at speed. I know Tesla adjusts height, but it would be ice if steering and suspension tightened u at speed... Still pretty damn fun to drive...

The sport version of the Q5, the SQ5 is a fairly fast vehicle if you want more speed.
Plus Audi just announced Q5 55 TFSI E Quattro, a plugin that might be interesting if you want to stick with fast ICE & Audi.
But they are obviously very different to Tesla models.

Had my X at ~135 mph for a stretch in the California desert last week. It drove pretty well, but the steering and suspension felt a tad loose. (Suspension is set to LOW.) This is in comparison to my other ICE cars, a BMW X3 and MB E550. Those have the "sport mode" function which tightens everything up at speed. I know Tesla adjusts height, but it would be ice if steering and suspension tightened u at speed... Still pretty damn fun to drive...
You could change the steering mode to Sport in X. This will feel much more stable at high speeds.

Pretty much what I saw on the Porsche forum too. Long time Porsche owners say how nice my Tesla drives compare to Porsche, how the Taycan is over-priced, and how I will cancel my Taycan reservation and buy a Model Y (I think he meant a Model 3) performance.

We've been hearing Tesla competitors are coming all those years. Now they came and we realize there is still no Tesla competitor. It had years of head start and was moving fast. Very hard for others to catch up now.

Some mentioned the Model X. Other than bigger and taller it's actually very responsive and does not drive like your average SUV at all, We've also owned Explorer and MDX in the past.

I've driven "tanks" (other SUVs and crossovers) for about 20 years. The Model X is a dream compared to them. It has far more interior space and FAR better performance. Problems? Sure. The problem with the M3 and MS is that they are REALLY tough for me to get into. I'm a big fella. 6' 2" 260 soaking wet and with a pooched back, hard for me to fold myself down into the seat. The MX is far easier to enter and exit.

A 2.5 ton SUV drives different from a 1.5t sedan? You don´t say....

It's (M3) actually more like a 2 ton sedan, but one that drives like a 1.5 ton sedan. The 2.5 ton Audi SUV drives like a 3 ton SUV.

Not a winning pattern in terms of driving dynamics when your competition drives lighter and nimbler than they measure, and you drive heavier and clumsier.

Particularly troubling given their great success with the S3/S4 sedans, but then again, they didn't start with a clean sheet of paper from a design standpoint, as the E tron appears to be an ICE SUV design that they stuck an electric motor and battery pack into, in a rush to put out a competitive product. But it isn't.

And energy economy should be mentioned in any discussion of the e-tron. It goes about 2.5 miles on a KWH of electricity. If you're conservative driving your M3 this time of year you can go TWICE that far on that much energy . . . or pretty darn close to twice as far.
If 2.5 mi/kWh is the e-tron's mild-weather efficiency, that's not great. However I've seen my P3D drop to that level in mountainous winter driving, so in certain circumstances it isn't completely uncharacteristic for an M3. But yeah, this time of year, even the P3D approaches 4 mi/kWh and the LR should approach 5 as you say.

There has been a great deal of overgeneralizing in the press: "Wait until Audi/Porsche/Mercedes/Jaguar introduce their electric cars."

But here's the thing: while taking a car and putting an electric motor in it is a step in the right direction, it doesn't mean the car will be great.

My test day on the slalom course and around town with the Jaguar I-PACE was like that: hmm...meh. Quieter, peppier—yes. But I wasn't holding back buying a Jaguar because they needed to be quieter, or peppier. (By the way, I-PACE still isn't the quickest version of the x-PACE line.)

Like the Audi, I have no idea why a traditional Jaguar customer would buy I-PACE, unless they LOVED Jaguar and really wanted an electric car for the sake of having an electric car. But we have years and years of history that show that the percentage of people who primarily buy a car because it's electric is marginal—which is what led Toyota and other major OEMs to pooh-pooh their demand forecasts for all-electric vehicles. Well, until March 31, 2016 when people lined up in droves for Model 3.

The trad automakers have yet to face the most daunting aspect of Teslas: the software. Software is the hardest and most valuable part of most modern businesses. Tesla is dragging the auto world into 2019, and they are resisting mightily. "We have future models with big LCDs to show the gauges!" they might say. "Our upholstery is better! Our paint is better!"

The key to delivering a long-lasting, high-performing battery is software. The chemistry is easy to copy (grab a 2170 and do a chemical analysis), and widely discussed. The reliable in-use management is a black art, all done in software. How fast to charge, how fast to discharge, management over temperature and time. Tesla has a decade of experience in that, and they make their own electronics to fully enable it at a deep, module-by-module level.

As Alan Kay once said, "People who are serious about software should make their own hardware." Trad automakers aren't even close to that—they aren't even making their own software, they are buying it as well as their hardware from a variety of vendors and cobbling it together.

/rant

I actually agree with much of this, except that the brilliance of the Model 3 lies in just how many ways it excels and beats the competition . . . soundly even, in good part because the whole is indeed more than the sum of its parts. Its software, electronics, motor and battery innovations allow the car to weigh less than the competition, and this in turns allows it to out perform BMW, MB, Lexus, Alfa Romeo et al, in many ways.

Those areas of excellence, in no particular order . .

1) efficiency and range - getting 325-310 miles of EPA range out of only 75Kw battery pack is an underrated achievement, again in part due to superb aerodynamics (lowest CD in any production car) and the advantages of a permanent magnet vs. induction motor in the rear. It's waay out in front in regards to watt-hrs/mi compared to most of the EV competition, and although several cars equal it, or even slightly exceed it, they have way poorer range, and way smaller battery packs.

2) class leading handling and overall performance - the DMP version is faster around a track than any competing sports sedan, due to lower CoG, low polar moment of inertia (comparable to mid-engined cars), and weight savings of the only 75KW battery pack (and an excellent overall chassis design). Throw in track mode which has blown up the previous assumption that EVs can't really hack it on the track due to rapid overheating. Bottom line - it's a hoot to drive, and if anyone thinks that's not critical to its market penetration, talk to BMW. Clearest indication of this - my wife who hates virtually all technology, loves driving her Model 3 DMP, and won't drive anything else unless she has to.

3) superb screen-centric operating system that initially seems too minimalist and then becomes second nature and makes you wonder why no one thought of this before. Throw in cell phone-centric starting, locking and monitoring, and you realize that this thing is way ahead of the "serious car manufacturers" operating systems and logic.

4) safety, both active and passive, are industry leading, in part due to software and integration of information from cameras and sensors, but in part due to massive design advantages of EV with two large crush zones, extra rigid passenger cage, part of which is the battery cage.

5) virtually no maintenance and lower cost of daily operating

So it's more than just brilliant code. It's a composite of breakthroughs and refinements (such as the more efficient switched reluctance rear motor) that together and collectively allow the overall design to realize the long promised theoretical advantages of EV tech (efficiency/cost per mile/low maintenance, instant acceleration and one pedal driving/regen) while minimizing the traditional negatives which are themselves trade-offs against the other (higher weight vs. mediocre range).

It's the collective brilliance of all these refinements and breakthroughs and their synergism that makes the Model 3 a revolutionary and groundbreaking product (and will insure that the Model Y is also).

Last edited:
Sometimes people might think the software part of things in cars is over-hyped. But it really is THE factor upsetting all other industries, so why not cars?

As in the previous comment—but to use an example from another industry we are all familiar with that is further along than auto—you might say, "I don't choose my phone just for the software part. The hardware part and how it looks is JUST as critical."

Here's a thought experiment: suppose someone offered to sell you a phone that (to you) looked cooler than the phone you're holding, had 4x the flash memory, had a super-bright non-glare Quantum Dot display with 2x the pixels you currently have, already could support future 5G networks, had a camera that was twice as good in low light, and a built-in anti-shake 10x optical zoom, a battery that provided 4 solid days of use—yet the phone is slimmer and lighter than your current phone—for $200.

Sounds great. Is there a catch?

Yes, it runs a new operating system you've never heard of.

No surprise, you don't want that phone as your daily driver.

That's what I mean by the MOST important or valuable part. And importantly, notice in phones that the companies that make the vast majority (some years all) of the profit are the ones who control the software.

Although it was starting (at glacial speed) in cars, Tesla really appreciated this from the start, and made the entire car able to be centrally managed by software. The Model 3 was a watershed design that included exactly zero non-momentary switches (all controls return to the same position after use or in the case of steering have servo motors on them). The reason: so that software can more easily use them, too. That's why Model 3 turn signals don't "stay down" when you use them to turn left.

And consumers are caring less and less about "twin overhead cam quattro valves and rack and pinion steering and double wishbone suspension" and more for the software features: navigation, driver assistance, entertainment, security, safety, and mobile phone integration. Software determines the convenience and utility of all of those.

And consumers are caring less and less about "twin overhead cam quattro valves and rack and pinion steering and double wishbone suspension" and more for the software features: navigation, driver assistance, entertainment, security, safety, and mobile phone integration. Software determines the convenience and utility of all of those.

Agreed.

For those that think all vehicle buyers are gear-heads... Just start paying attention to commercials for each (car) brand. What you'll see is a lack of statistics (0-60, 1/4 mi, power-to-weight ratio, etc..), and an abundance of 'feelings'. If memory serves, Subaru's motto is along the lines of "It's all about love". This is where Tesla shines, IMO. People sit in a Tesla, and they fall in love with it.