Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove someone else’s Tesla using the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been debunked and it was faked

Could you perhaps point to the information around where that was pointed out? I have a 2 page thread on this topic in the model 3 subforum too, same basic discussion as in this one, and if it indeed was proven to be fake I would like the information around that so it can be put in that thread.

Well, the point is it can still be hacked. Doesn't matter what channel they use.
They had to be within 4 inches of the physical card. However they said that it might be possible in the future to do it from further away by beefing up the electronics. I carry my card, wrapped in aluminium foil, in my wallet and only use the card if the phone has died or I forgot to bring it.

Whereas some years ago I borrowed my parents' Holden. Drove to the shops, shopped, unlocked and loaded up the car and drove away.........only to find 10mins later that the car was a different car belonging to someone else. No, it did not make it onto a forum or international news...

Reactions: moa999
Well, the point is it can still be hacked. Doesn't matter what channel they use.
Yes, it does. Since the hacks differ in ease for attackers. The NFC attack is very specific, requires special gear, two perpetrators, AND that one person be close to the victim while the other is close to the car (single digit inches in BOTH cases). The BT attack (in the only way it could happen, skipping the faked news report) requires that you somehow convince someone to unlock what they THINK is their car when it is parked right next to their actual car.