Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dryer in garage plug in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've got a dryer in the garage in my new place.

so when i charge i unplug the dryer and plug in the car and vice versa. my question is have any of you tried those double connectors where you can plug it into the wall and then have both the dryer and car connected at the same time? i would only run 1 at a time but it would help with having to go back there each time and unplug and plug

i've got a dryer in the garage in my new place.

so when i charge i unplug the dryer and plug in the car and vice versa. my question is have any of you tried those double connectors where you can plug it into the wall and then have both the dryer and car connected at the same time? i would only run 1 at a time but it would help with having to go back there each time and unplug and plug
I have not used it, but others here have recommended a splitter called "Dryer Buddy." It allows both plugs to remain connected but power only goes to one device at a time.

Here is the one from SplitVolt

But whatever you choose, be sure the EV side is a 14-30 outlet and not a 14-50. If you use the 14-50 version the car will try to draw 40-amps and you will need to manually lower the limit. Better to use the 14-30 adapter and then not to worry about it.

Yeah, definitely get some sort of splitter. You don't want to be plugging and unplugging. The ones that monitor the current and automatically cut off the car are what I would choose, but the ones that have a manual switch should be fine as well. Do make sure that the car isn't actively charging (and the dryer isn't running) when you do unplug or manually switch. It can cause arcing, and that's not good.

Last edited:
wow that dryer buddy isn't cheap.. $300

Splinters are great for someone who wants to leverage an existing outlet. $300 is very cheap especially as it is recommended that EVs be on a dedicated circuit.

just have another one put in

If you mean to run a new circuit, then yes, this is the correct solution and you will find it cheaper to install a wall connector than a new outlet and use the mobile connector. But if you are thinking of adding a new outlet to the same circuit, do not do that. As mentioned above a dedicated circuit is needed.

I have a question about this actually. I've got a dryer plug too with a 14-30 connector. Is it okay to set the amp limit at 32 or should I set it to 16?
The other person mentioned the limit (it is 30A*80% = 24A given it is a continuous load). If you have the official 14-30 adapter for your Mobile connector, this limit would be set automatically (no need for you to manually set it).

Yes, a plug in j1772 with the Tesla adapter connected as I also have a Honda clarity phev. Mine unfortunately doesn't have a menu and I had to buy an adapter to connect it to the nema 30 plug because the power cord is a nema 50