Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question time: range of performance vs long range... MUST it be lower, or just if you use it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla says the range of the Performance is lower than that of the Long Range. Is that an assumption because it accelerates faster, etc? Or is it a fact because of the different equipment inside?

Put another way: If I drive a performance like a grandma and I drive a LR like a grandma... do I get the same range or no?

Thanks.

Tesla says the range of the Performance is lower than that of the Long Range. Is that an assumption because it accelerates faster, etc? Or is it a fact because of the different equipment inside?

Put another way: If I drive a performance like a grandma and I drive a LR like a grandma... do I get the same range or no?

Thanks.

If you put the exact same tires on a performance model that were on a long range, and drove it exactly the same, you would get "similar" range between the two. They dont come with the same tires or tire options stock, though, and the difference in actual range (vs rated range) is likely not going to enough to matter in any real appreciable way, to anyone who can charge at either home or work, on a regular basis.

Do the Tesla 18's actually still fit over the P brakes though? I thought they did not.
Yes they do, I dumped the 21" UT's for some 18s from TSportLine. I recovered the range, the car is faster (according to my DRAGY), it rides better, I can rotate the tires, new tires are cheaper and I no longer fear curbs or potholes. When I sell it I'll put the 21s with 250 miles back on the car for the next owner.
I had the 18s waiting for my MYP to arrive
bO3yRjh.jpg

I prefer more TIRE and LESS wheel
yk0kaev.png

howQI9U.jpg

Oh and combined they weigh 68 pounds less than the OEM 21s.

mine is long range but at 100% charge my estimated mileage is 313 (off by -20).

I do have sport mode which Inwas told only performance has but I have not purchased the $2k boost.

Milage while driving is an estimate. I’ve lost 9 miles going 1. Heater or a/c and happy foot pedal reduces milage. Chill mode prevents happy feet but no one is going to drive without heat and radio.

I think some, maybe most 23 model Y LRs come with the 980 motor, which is the same as in the P, right?
I checked, at least that's what my LR has back there ...
Yes but in a LR, the Tesla firmware reduces the potential acceleration power than then Performance model. That is why even when the LR has the 980/4D1 motors they don't have the same acceleration as the Performance model. You can get the Ghost upgrade for the LR and unlock the full acceleration to match the performance model. Even the $2K Tesla acceleration upgrade only improves the acceleration from 4.8 secs to 4.2 secs.

Reactions: flixden
Yes but in a LR, the Tesla firmware reduces the potential acceleration power than then Performance model. That is why even when the LR has the 980/4D1 motors they don't have the same acceleration as the Performance model. You can get the Ghost upgrade for the LR and unlock the full acceleration to match the performance model. Even the $2K Tesla acceleration upgrade only improves the acceleration from 4.8 secs to 4.2 secs.
Yeah, I am aware of that. The AB brings it close though, but it's still not quite the same.
I think the MYP acceleration numbers are quoted with rollout, the LR numbers are without, making them to be closer in real life than they appear.
The Ghost upgrade is IMO a risky thing to do, especially if you are still under warranty.

mine is long range but at 100% charge my estimated mileage is 313 (off by -20).

I do have sport mode which Inwas told only performance has but I have not purchased the $2k boost.

Milage while driving is an estimate. I’ve lost 9 miles going 1. Heater or a/c and happy foot pedal reduces milage. Chill mode prevents happy feet but no one is going to drive without heat and radio.
You have a LR with sport mode, and no acceleration boost? That's weird ...
Did you buy new?

Yeah, I am aware of that. The AB brings it close though, but it's still not quite the same.
I think the MYP acceleration numbers are quoted with rollout, the LR numbers are without, making them to be closer in real life than they appear.
The Ghost upgrade is IMO a risky thing to do, especially if you are still under warranty.
Right I agree. I also checked my rear motors on my LR and I have the 4D1 motors which are compatible with the Ghost upgrade but I would not run it unless I am out of warranty. But even then I don't really see the need for it. I care more about battery range more than anything.