Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Durability of 21" tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the 21" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on a P85+ wear out quicker on road trips? Would you get an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for road trips every once in a while? Debating on the P85+ with 21" or P85 with 19"...

I can't speak for a P85+ but I do what the 21" PS2s on my P85. I have 17000km (~10600miles) on them and the rear tires are showing wear on the inside. My front tires are fine though so I'll be able to rotate and get another 10000 miles. 20,000 miles isn't great but I'll accept it for a high-performance car. I'm not sure if 19" would wear less fast. You still have the same amount of torque going to the wheels. It would all depend on the tread compound and the wear rating of the tires you use. Not everyone is happy with the tire choice Tesla made for the 21"... lots of reports of premature wear, but that is partly because of the camber setting they use on the rear suspension.

zax123;463597And is the treadwear rating of 280 (over Pilot PS2 of 220) really indicative of longer tread life in real world scenarios?[/QUOTE said:
The tire manufacturer can use any number as long as it doesn't exceed the test results. Some use the highest number they can and others are more conservative. I suspect, but don't know, that Hankook uses a number that's in the high end.

Will the 21" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on a P85+ wear out quicker on road trips? Would you get an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for road trips every once in a while? Debating on the P85+ with 21" or P85 with 19"...

No don't get an extra set of 19", just use that money to replace 21" when you need too. 21" are just amazing looking and the +, well enough said. Not much to think about if you ask me.

Inside wear is not normal and unacceptable... Even wear due to hard driving is a totally different story... Dont understand the strange talk regarding performance cars. None of my bmW M or Alpinas had any uneven or inside wear. When driven hard sure they last shorter but with even wear. I think we need to act as a group on this and speak up. If Tesla dont want bad PR they need to make sure to address this issue. Reading loads of threads but still cannot figure out if this is early cars only or if it has been fixed...

10,000 miles on summer and 10,000 miles on winter tires. No uneven wear. Vin 520. I think some cars had different alignment issues. Also I accelerate hard but am less likely to turn hard.

This is not like NSX issue which had tires wearing out after 3,000 miles. My summer and winter tires both look to last 20,000 miles. I find this acceptable considering that I have never accelerated this quickly before in summer and winter.

No don't get an extra set of 19", just use that money to replace 21" when you need too. 21" are just amazing looking and the +, well enough said. Not much to think about if you ask me.

How much $ are we talking about Michelin PS2s for the front and rear tires of a P85+ ? Where has the best price to get them?

Guess I'll just keep my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee for winter driving!

Took delivery mid March with 21" Michelins. Last week I took it in to have the tires rotated at 8,000 miles. Wear is very even, no excessive wear on the inside edge or anywhere for that matter. They basically look almost new still. I think the wear is very much dependent on average Tarmac temperatures, road surface abrasion and what percentage of driving is done at highway speeds. At highway speeds two things work to increase the wear, one is elevated tire temperature and the other is the lowering of the car above 50mph or so increases the camber.
We live outside Seattle which is cooler, the highest mileage road we drive is smooth and we don't take long trips on the freeway.

For a point of reference I just measured my 19s. 27200 miles and I have 7-7.5/32" on all treads on all tires.

So far I've rotated only twice. Once at 6500 and they other at 23000. I'll probably rotate again around 38000.

This set should last me at least 50-55k miles before I need to replace them for the first time.