Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dying ESS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard some roomers that a few battery packs are already dead and that the cars are sold for very low prices at auctions. Are there already some cars that are out of warranty?

Roomer 1. Battery packs dead
Possible but it could be the owners ran them out. That would void any warranty. Just like an owner over revving his 16 cylinder gasoline burning exotic.

Roomer 2. We here have done a pretty good job of tracking the prices of used Roadsters. Auctions you say?

Your question:
The first car delivered Feb 5th and the entire 2008 run has a 4 year warranty.

Well, I heard of two recent California salvage auctions due to body accident damage, not "blown ESS", so it is possible that the poster misunderstood why the cars had gone to salvage auction.

On the other hand, I have also heard of various people reporting ESS & PEM replacements but that was all done under warranty, and may not be so surprising on the early examples of the first year model.

Some of the changes they made to the 2010 could be to improve reliability based on things they learned from the 2008s.

On the other hand, I have also heard of various people reporting ESS & PEM replacements but that was all done under warranty, and may not be so surprising on the early examples of the first year model.

Some of the changes they made to the 2010 could be to improve reliability based on things they learned from the 2008s.

My 2010 Roadster Sport had the ESS replaced under warranty. The sensors inside the sealed pack were continually indicating moisture in the pack, ever since week 1. It was either a bad sensor, or moisture was indeed getting inside somehow. I waited until winter to have it replaced, as Tesla said there was no hurry.

Both those salvage Roadsters were front end collision write offs. Now imagine the car being towed to an auto body shop. Or a scrap yard. No one is going to charge it. So now you have what was probably perfectly good battery going dead from neglect.

One of the cars was Dr Taras'. After the accident he drove it onto the flatbed so it worked fine. Then it was almost 6 months before the car came up for sale. Can you say, "doonail"?

CroDriver, can you kill this roomer?

So to recap:

All cars are still probably still under warranty at this point. The first car delivered Feb 1st 08 and the entire 2008 run has a 4 year, 40K warranty. The highest mileage number we know of is in the 20 to 30 K range today. Certainly well below the 40 K needed 6 months ago when the salvage cars were originally damaged.

Owners who are not battery savvy could have run them out. It has happened. They had to buy a new battery. Running them out voids the warranty. Just like an owner over revving his 16 cylinder gasoline burning exotic. New engines mistreated cost $$ just like batteries in an electric. Any battery problems to date have been cheerfully repaired by TM.

So what if AAA wants 50K for a salvage Roadster car. They own it. They can ask what they want. Someday, body shops and wrecking yards will realize that without keeping Electric Cars charged, they are loosing $10 to 20K in value. At that point they won't let it happen again. (the probably have a social networking forum that will facilitate this).

Both those salvage Roadsters were front end collision write offs. Now imagine the car being towed to an auto body shop. Or a scrap yard. No one is going to charge it. So now you have what was probably perfectly good battery going dead from neglect.

One of the cars was Dr Taras'. After the accident he drove it onto the flatbed so it worked fine. Then it was almost 6 months before the car came up for sale. Can you say, "doonail"?

I know one offer on one of those salvage was over 20K so Arddea does not have all the facts.

PS
The roomer rumor is entirely unfounded. Sorry for any confusion. :smile:

Last edited:
So to recap:

All cars are still probably still under warranty at this point. The first car delivered Feb 5th 09 ...

"Minor" detail, but that would be Feb 5th 2008 ...

And more picky still (sorry :eek:) the article was written Feb 5, 2008 saying
Last Friday, Tesla chairman Elon Musk took delivery of the first production Roadster, which carries the name P1 ...
... so that would make First Delivery = Feb 1, 2008 :tongue:

But VFX makes a number of excellent rebuttal points ! :)