Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E-Mazing Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
This has been mentioned already in a couple of regional forums, but I thought it should have a place here in EVents.

E-mazing Race

image_map.jpg

From what I understand you can actually start the race from anywhere in North America. The goal of the race is simply to stop at the most Sun Country Highway charging stations, and eventually arrive at Summerside PEI.

(Full disclosure: I have been helping Sun Country Highway with their efforts to build out long-haul charging networks.)

Hmmm, that seems much more do-able than starting in Seattle... :)

Let us know any more details as you find them out. The website seems a little short on details.

This has been mentioned already in a couple of regional forums, but I thought it should have a place here in EVents.

E-mazing Race

View attachment 27977

From what I understand you can actually start the race from anywhere in North America. The goal of the race is simply to stop at the most Sun Country Highway charging stations, and eventually arrive at Summerside PEI.

(Full disclosure: I have been helping Sun Country Highway with their efforts to build out long-haul charging networks.)

As noted elsewhere on the forum, Presentation: Bringing The Sun Country Electric Highway To The US!, the Sun Country Highway project is now being extended into the USA! In fact, if you look at EV Trip Planner | Sun Country Highway you can see the first US station is already on the map.

It took less than a year for Sun Country to build a full network along the Trans Canada Highway. We can expect a network enabling long-distance electric travel around the USA well in advance of the roll-out of the Supercharger network! And of course we need AC charge stations at our destinations (hotels etc.) and to fill in other routes not covered by Superchargers. When fully deployed the two systems will be very complimentary.

More news on the E-Mazing Race coming soon...

Okay the rules have been posted at E-Mazing Race. I'll summarize the key points, please visit the site for the official rules:

Start: Anywhere in North America on or after September 3. "Ceremonial" start locations include Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, and Trois Riviere.

Finish: Summerside PEI on September 20 at 3:30 pm.

Cars: Pure EVs and PHEVs will compete in separate categories. Charging station priority goes to pure EVs to reduce bottlenecks.

Scoring: Those Participants who travel the furthest or ZapTap at the most Sun Country Highway EV chargers and collect the most bonus points, will accumulate the most points and have the greatest probability of winning. Points are awarded for every ZapTap at a host location. Also secondary prizes will be offered for the best EV charging photo, and for the most Facebook likes, Twitter re-tweets, and posts to the Sun Country Highway Facebook page.

Just a heads up about the meeting place. Kent is hoping to get a good turn out of EV's at the kick off location. come on down if you can and show your support for this epic journey across North America celebrating the completion of the Sun Country Highway, a style of high level L2 charging infrastructure that involves No Cards, No Cost, No hassle. Kent Rathwell, the founder of Sun Country, will be announcing the progress being made in raising funds for the Sun Country network in WA state!

The official kick off location is in Seattle- at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Ave N, Seattle WA 98109-5016 across from the space needle:
September 3, 2013 10:00am

Hope to see you there,
George

PS: Please spread the word and give what you can to the roll out in Washington state. To sponsor a high powered charging station ($1,999) you can either do so directly through Sun Country Highway (http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/) or send a check written out to Plug-In North Central WA, a tax deductible organization, with “Sun Country” in the memo section of the check to: Plug-In NCW, PO Box 1064, Wenatchee, WA 98807-1064. You may also sponsor part of a charging station or multiple charging stations. If a lower amperage, less expensive unit is required for install at a site, rest assured that all remaining funds will be put toward additional charging station equipment. If you let me know what you are pledging, I can include it in the totals that Kent is announcing at the race kick off... send me a PM!

Thanks, Doug. Is the CS-100 now the recommended choice? I finally have an electrician readying a quote (have some sidewalk and landscaping work to do as well) but was looking at the 90 'cause I thought there were some issues with the 100.

The Roadsters won't charge on a CS-100. That's really a Roadster bug, and Tesla should fix it. Given that there are only about 40 Roadsters in Canada this probably shouldn't be a consideration. The CS-100's will charge a Model S a bit faster...

The Roadsters won't charge on a CS-100. That's really a Roadster bug, and Tesla should fix it. Given that there are only about 40 Roadsters in Canada this probably shouldn't be a consideration. The CS-100's will charge a Model S a bit faster...
What about Tony's post, Doug_G, about the switch they're adding to the CS-100 offering?

Just to clarify, Will at Clipper Creek told me some time ago that they would build me (and had done in the past) a switched CS-100 (for either 80 amps or 70 amps for Roadster). I don't think this was ever intended to be a "feature".
Can you pass along to Clipper Creek that if they officially make this part of their offering, they will sell the CS-100 more consistently? I keep seeing threads here and have had discussions with some interested parties, and it seems foolish of them not to make this easy for people -- easy being "just buy the CS-100/AwesomeEdition and everyone will be happy." Instead there's this dance of "well I guess I should get a CS-90" that we have to do. It's just bad business on their part, IMO.

I thought this was an interesting photo by one of the participants:

2013-09-14+18.38.14.jpg