Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Break Checked the car I passed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So driving to work this morning with Enhanced Auto Pilot. I pass another vehicle, wait a bit then move back out of the left lane and immediately the car decides to break. No cars within range in front of me. I hit the accelerator as fast as I could so I wouldn't be a complete douche to the car behind me, but I felt bad for them.

There was an overpass coming up, but it was a fairly overcast morning and no real shadows, so I'm not sure what triggered the car deciding to hit the breaks.

Anyone else experience this?

brake check all the things.jpeg

(I do not own a Tesla, but I spend _way_ too much time on this site.)

Overpass problem. Autopilot is frightened by the shadow. Be ready.

Once you find that an overpass is handles OK, you don't need to be on edge for that overpass, but still expect that it could go wrong.

BUT, after any software update, reset _all_ of your expectations of behavior. You don't know what has changed.

I have so far in almost a month not once had the vehicle try to brake for an overpass or shadow. I have managed to get the FCW alert a couple of times, for various correct reasons. I've also had the car under EAP brake hard sometimes if someone cuts me off (I keep follow distance to 7), though sometimes it gracefully widens the gap - that much seems inconsistent (even when taking into account the distance to the car that cut me off).

If you regularly get unexpected braking you should probably start performing bug reports so hopefully they can solve it, as they may need to add data to the map system or otherwise improve things.

Reactions: SSonnentag
If you regularly get unexpected braking you should probably start performing bug reports so hopefully they can solve it, as they may need to add data to the map system or otherwise improve things.

Absolutely. I forgot to mention this. Please do send bug reports every time the car misbehaves. I send them for incorrect speed limits even. :) Unfortunately we can't send reports when in AT&T's lousy rural cellular coverage areas.

(I do not own a Tesla, but I spend _way_ too much time on this site.)

Overpass problem. Autopilot is frightened by the shadow. Be ready.

Once you find that an overpass is handles OK, you don't need to be on edge for that overpass, but still expect that it could go wrong.

BUT, after any software update, reset _all_ of your expectations of behavior. You don't know what has changed.

Again, it was overcast and no shadow from the overpass... And it has never done this on this (or any) overpass on my way to work before today.

Absolutely. I forgot to mention this. Please do send bug reports every time the car misbehaves. I send them for incorrect speed limits even. :) Unfortunately we can't send reports when in AT&T's lousy rural cellular coverage areas.

I did do a bug report, I should have mentioned in the initial post. Again, first time it's happened and I've driven this route in the 3 many times already. But that does lead to... Give me more words to use in my bug report!! It cut off so many times, I started using part 1, part 2, etc... Also, make it learn that EAP is not Pap...

Reactions: SSonnentag
I have so far in almost a month not once had the vehicle try to brake for an overpass or shadow. I have managed to get the FCW alert a couple of times, for various correct reasons. I've also had the car under EAP brake hard sometimes if someone cuts me off (I keep follow distance to 7), though sometimes it gracefully widens the gap - that much seems inconsistent (even when taking into account the distance to the car that cut me off).

Well what fun would it be if you could consistently rely on it to screw up? :p

drove from SoCal to SF last month and had this issue happen several times each direction. Since I had my hand on the wheel, I just hit the accelerator. (Da' wife NOT happy with a car just decelerates in the fast lane.) I will admit that I was so focused on the road I did not notice if it was an overpass/shadow issue.

I'll try to be more observant next time.

My first question
Did you submit a bug report ?

Seriously. With stuff that doesn’t work, speed limit errors, phantom braking events etc etc, they can only fix what they get told about.
I did do a bug report, I should have mentioned in the initial post. Again, first time it's happened and I've driven this route in the 3 many times already. But that does lead to... Give me more words to use in my bug report!! It cut off so many times, I started using part 1, part 2, etc... Also, make it learn that EAP is not Pap...

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
4,000 miles on my non EAP Model 3 and I’ve never had it apply the brakes. I have received many forward collision warnings for objects that were there. I’ve never had one for a shadow. I have had one situation where a motorcycle crossed many lanes while accelerating and my Model 3 swerved into an empty lane while giving a warning sound to me.

I believe the person that posted about the speed limits is on to the source of the problem. I have my non EAP Model 3 set up to chime when the car is traveling a certain amount above the speed limit. I often receive these warnings when crossing a street when on the freeway. I have also received these when on a freeway in the lane closest to the frontage road and the car believed it was on the frontage road. I have also been on a street crossing a freeway and the car thinks the speed limit on the local road is 65 mph (the speed on the freeway). My car often “navigates” me back onto the freeway from the frontage road when I am on the freeway just like my phone navigation often does. If this is what EAP is using to control the speed of the car I think some of the programmers need to add something that keeps the car at the last speed limit until it is sure that it is on the road it thinks it is on.

A lot of that (the speed limits and navigation due to inaccurate GPS) would probably be fixed by just having the car know that nobody has invented teleportation yet, so if you didn't take an exit you're probably actually still on the original road. Unless of course you're Vanellope von Schweetz.

A lot of that (the speed limits and navigation due to inaccurate GPS) would probably be fixed by just having the car know that nobody has invented teleportation yet, so if you didn't take an exit you're probably actually still on the original road. Unless of course you're Vanellope von Schweetz.

I don't know... when I press the accelerator down hard I feel like I just teleported...

• Love
Reactions: BioSehnsucht