Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve been battling with this since I got my car and I really don’t now what to do. I’ve tried all the methods from I love coffee video and that hasn’t helped. I was looking at my trunk again today and I noticed that the left side might be misaligned compared to the right but I wanted you all opinions. Could this be causing the head pressure and dizziness?

Attachments

• 83A838D1-ADC5-4630-85C3-62E9F6E56F0A.jpeg
    83A838D1-ADC5-4630-85C3-62E9F6E56F0A.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 222
  • A65DF985-790B-4593-8A07-43245E3F69DF.jpeg
    A65DF985-790B-4593-8A07-43245E3F69DF.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 36D67ED3-FC5C-4E7B-9984-87B027DB55DE.jpeg
    36D67ED3-FC5C-4E7B-9984-87B027DB55DE.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 234280BC-1068-412F-89B9-DD68E60A6E9A.jpeg
    234280BC-1068-412F-89B9-DD68E60A6E9A.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 99
So I’ve been battling with this since I got my car and I really don’t now what to do. I’ve tried all the methods from I love coffee video and that hasn’t helped. I was looking at my trunk again today and I noticed that the left side might be misaligned compared to the right but I wanted you all opinions. Could this be causing the head pressure and dizziness?

Screenshot_20221205_193809_Chrome.jpg

This gap is likely due to adjusting the hatch stops.

It does look like quite a bit.

If I had to guess something is awry with the calibration of the hatch stops over the tail lights.

View attachment 881900

This gap is likely due to adjusting the hatch stops.

It does look like quite a bit.

If I had to guess something is awry with the calibration of the hatch stops over the tail lights.
Here are my hatch stops after adjusting them just now but that panel gap still exists

Attachments

• DD4FD48A-7381-43EA-8497-6981379EC752.jpeg
    DD4FD48A-7381-43EA-8497-6981379EC752.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 57F950DD-7872-470D-8559-4FC532AFB0BA.jpeg
    57F950DD-7872-470D-8559-4FC532AFB0BA.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 60D39C20-5DA5-4F4E-8427-9FDD65CD9712.jpeg
    60D39C20-5DA5-4F4E-8427-9FDD65CD9712.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 119
  • BE5A52FA-A074-4490-9952-E32BBDB69338.jpeg
    BE5A52FA-A074-4490-9952-E32BBDB69338.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 168
Here are my hatch stops after adjusting them just now but that panel gap still exists

Yeah nothing looks out of the ordinary there...

Hrm. I wonder if there really is an alignment issue in your case with the way the door is bolted on. One other user here has had their door re-adjusted by a body shop which had solved their issue. I'd probably see what I could get away with Tesla service first under warranty before asking a body shop.

Yeah nothing looks out of the ordinary there...

Hrm. I wonder if there really is an alignment issue in your case with the way the door is bolted on. One other user here has had their door re-adjusted by a body shop which had solved their issue. I'd probably see what I could get away with Tesla service first under warranty before asking a body shop.
I'll schedule an appointment and have them take a look but I am worried that since their technician "can't feel or replicate" the pressure changes and headache that I experience they might just turn me away with no other solutions.

I've really tried my best to get myself used to the way the model Y is but it's really disappointing that im forcing myself to have to deal with this.

Anything else you recommend me trying first?

I'll schedule an appointment and have them take a look but I am worried that since their technician "can't feel or replicate" the pressure changes and headache that I experience they might just turn me away with no other solutions.

I've really tried my best to get myself used to the way the model Y is but it's really disappointing that im forcing myself to have to deal with this.

Anything else you recommend me trying first?

Well I'd remove the tubing before you take it in.

But I'd recommend you coach them to the diagnosis you want... Which is that there is some kind of alignment issue that you cannot fix (and disclose you've already tried to adjust the hatch stops to avoid having to bring it in for service)

See what they do... And see if they can fix that alignment gap. If they do maybe try reinstalling tubing after they do an alignment. Then make slight adjustments after tubing to make sure contact is being made.

If they fail to address the mismatch gap maybe ask a body shop in your area that works on Teslas... Maybe a couple hundred but worth a shot.

Also have you tried rigid hatch stops yet?

Reactions: atlchamp
Well I'd remove the tubing before you take it in.

But I'd recommend you coach them to the diagnosis you want... Which is that there is some kind of alignment issue that you cannot fix (and disclose you've already tried to adjust the hatch stops to avoid having to bring it in for service)

See what they do... And see if they can fix that alignment gap. If they do maybe try reinstalling tubing after they do an alignment. Then make slight adjustments after tubing to make sure contact is being made.

If they fail to address the mismatch gap maybe ask a body shop in your area that works on Teslas... Maybe a couple hundred but worth a shot.

Also have you tried rigid hatch stops yet?
I haven’t. I don’t have a 3D printer and I don’t know where to get them from. Do you know how I can get some?

I haven’t. I don’t have a 3D printer and I don’t know where to get them from. Do you know how I can get some?
Well it doesn't have to be 3D printed, check MY-Y's thread here

There are some that made it with various methods.

Also Etsy has some people that do 3d printing maybe local to you that are pretty cost effective.

Well it doesn't have to be 3D printed, check MY-Y's thread here

There are some that made it with various methods.

Also Etsy has some people that do 3d printing maybe local to you that are pretty cost effective.
Do you know the size of the stop? The printer guy is asking me. Thanks

Ugh but maybe my hatch stops aren’t totally in the right position yet? I’m not 100% sure how I have them is correct.

Believe me I know the struggle. I probably fiddled with mine (no exaggeration) probably over 100 times. I have abused them lol.

So in my OCD experience, as I mentioned before, focusing on the ones above the tail lights is the most critical. To focus on those, you need to screw in completely the other ones in the middle of the door so they do not make contact.

Then working with the "main ones", adjust them until both sides grip paper that can't be removed. Ideally, the latching mechanism should make a slight popping sound when opening, which means there's tension/rigidity.

After that, adjust the remaining stops so they also grip paper. This is a bit trickier and sometimes it seems like they don't grip paper properly, so just use your best guess. They shouldn't be over-extended because then they are also pushing away the other stops you just calibrated.

Then with your body weight, press down on the hatch door and look at the gap. Is it impossible to move? Congrats! Does it move still? Back to the drawing board, possible that one or more stops are not out enough.

Saying all this, as I said your pictures look normal.

Believe me I know the struggle. I probably fiddled with mine (no exaggeration) probably over 100 times. I have abused them lol.

So in my OCD experience, as I mentioned before, focusing on the ones above the tail lights is the most critical. To focus on those, you need to screw in completely the other ones in the middle of the door so they do not make contact.

Then working with the "main ones", adjust them until both sides grip paper that can't be removed. Ideally, the latching mechanism should make a slight popping sound when opening, which means there's tension/rigidity.

After that, adjust the remaining stops so they also grip paper. This is a bit trickier and sometimes it seems like they don't grip paper properly, so just use your best guess. They shouldn't be over-extended because then they are also pushing away the other stops you just calibrated.

Then with your body weight, press down on the hatch door and look at the gap. Is it impossible to move? Congrats! Does it move still? Back to the drawing board, possible that one or more stops are not out enough.

Saying all this, as I said your pictures look normal.
Is there supposed to be any slight give when I bounce on the latch? Or 0 movement

I've done most of the above(I still have the stock suspension) and the suggestions from this very long thread helped quite a bit, but I was still able to sense mild pressure changes while driving on certain types of road surfaces. A month ago, I took a weighted blanked, folded it up and placed it in back, however it was too long and had to fold it. I went for a test drive and no noticeable change. Disappointed with the results, but I still wanted to see if it would further soak up any general highway noise, I left it in the car and put it underneath the rear cargo mat. However, I didn't like the idea of it being folded, so I put the seats down and as I was raising them back up I stuffed the extra blanket down behind the seat, just to hide it. To my surprise, I don't sense the mild buffeting like I used to! A noticeable improvement in comfort and I have no idea why. I'm just sharing my experience and can't explain it! This is definitely a weird one!

Attachments

• weighted_blanket.jpg
    weighted_blanket.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 180
I've done most of the above(I still have the stock suspension) and the suggestions from this very long thread helped quite a bit, but I was still able to sense mild pressure changes while driving on certain types of road surfaces. A month ago, I took a weighted blanked, folded it up and placed it in back, however it was too long and had to fold it. I went for a test drive and no noticeable change. Disappointed with the results, but I still wanted to see if it would further soak up any general highway noise, I left it in the car and put it underneath the rear cargo mat. However, I didn't like the idea of it being folded, so I put the seats down and as I was raising them back up I stuffed the extra blanket down behind the seat, just to hide it. To my surprise, I don't sense the mild buffeting like I used to! A noticeable improvement in comfort and I have no idea why. I'm just sharing my experience and can't explain it! This is definitely a weird one!

Interesting! Will have to take a look back there. I mean I'm pretty sure I've ripped that area apart for sound deadening but I don't think I applied it in that specific vicinity.

I have some moving blankets that I will try that on, if it works I'll put dense foam blocks back there.

Reactions: Noflash
Old-school guy here. Would there be any benefit to spraying a layer of undercoating inside the wheel wheels? Quick and dirty, for sure, but maybe effective?
Just now searched for "undercoating" and don't see replies to your great query. If you removed wheel well covers and sprayed undercoating, please let me know as I'd like to follow suit! A buddy just got a '23 YLR and his wheel wells are dead silent compared to my August built YLR and I think it's what Tesla did, but he won't let me remove 1 wheelwell to find out...can't blame him bc it's a week old! 🤓