Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the boominess is back. Not nearly as bad but it’s back to giving me a mild headache. I do notice it is worse at speeds around 30-40mph vs 60+. I can only guess that the hood is the culprit and or hatchback and the rubber stops are loose? The car just feels oddly air tight / sealed when sitting in it vs other cars. Like vacuum sealed. Maybe they went overboard in sealing it. Anyway let’s see what happens at my service appointment along with my 4 other open tickets, ugh. Never have I had this sensation in a car before… even flying 100k miles a year I don't get this feeling in a plane… bizarre!

I don't think all of the cars suffer from this ear pain issue.

I bought an Model Y in 2022, and the one I had gave me a headache whenever I drove it. The rear hatch alignment was really poor and the service center was never able to fix it. I sold that car.

I have rented a few Model Y since then, and I haven't had any issues. But then I tested drove another Model Y from Tesla and got the mild headache again. It isn't just the roads in my area though. Someone in my family bought one and I didn't get a headache from that one.

The problem is that Tesla's build consistency is very poor. You never know what you're going to get.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
It’s funny, just got out of gym feeling good, had AirPods in for an hour. Now sitting here in my car and thinking wtf Is the deal with this car?? My ears feel a low bass pressure like I’m being closed in on. Ac on nothing else. I think if I were to sit inside a giant glass orb this is what it would feel like. And now the ringing starts .. and it will last for 30-40 min after I get out. Not sure if I should laugh or cry, it’s that odd! I’m seriously likely causing myself ear damage and tinnitus.

I have now on multiple occasions had the symptoms in the garage with car parked. Sunday I had the symptoms in my kitchen and walked out to garage to find ac running which was on other side of wall. My wife and sister came out and said they felt like the walked through a wall of pressure and gave my sister a headache. My brother came over yesterday with a special stethoscope. He also had symptoms and said he felt nauseous. I noticed for first time a very high pitch sound that I recorded and is below. It was making the noise with ac off. My understanding is the octovalve circulates coolant to battery even while parked. It sounded like the noise was coming from the circulating pump and my brother thinks its probably a bad bearing. Interesting thing is I recorded the day before with ac on, off, heat on, etc and didn't hear the high pitch then. I just got an appointment 3 weeks out(killing me on these) to have service center use their high tech equipment to record and send to engineering. Hoping this is the issue. Be careful with the clip volume below.

New video by Joshua Fuller
Wow! I just listened the clip and my ears are ringing! I have same sensation in my 2023 MS causing major headache and pain and it also happens while not driving. What was the fix for this?

FYI, I came back from the Dublin Tesla and told me they are aware of the issue and there is a fix for the bump stop from Tesla China, Its not perfect but should help with the issue. I have one one order, apparently asians are more prone to this issue from what they telling me. I'm asian.
I have the bump stop on order as well with the new rubber knobs and supposed to be doing it tomorrow at my service appt. I am scared that it might make it worse as I do not feel the pressure that much anymore. I think I will tell them not to do the work. Like I said before, I do not want to have another issue after picking it up and could have just left it.

Hey all .. so I didn’t drive the car for 24 hours and my ears felt great.. no odd sensations or ringing in ears or headaches. Been driving the Range Rover and nothing at all like I experience in the model S. Just got back in Tesla to go to store and within 2 min my ears are ringing and my headache is back. It is undeniable it’s the car.. I literally cannot drive that car anymore. In more research from a while back I found this persons post early on in this thread maybe even the OP. He posted this video and i turned the volume up and that’s exactly what I hear in fact this video gave me the headache.

Will do, need to go back for measurement and transfer photos.

They did it from the underside — took our wheel well trim and padded that way. Needed to take off the wheels to do it.

Here is one pic I got mid-way

Could you share how much PE foam you needed? @JonB65 hoping you might be able to chime in on this as well. Only mention of this I saw was @gundarx originally saying he used almost all of ~60sq ft but my rough measurements of the wheel wells I came to ~168 sq. ft. for the front two wheel wells.

Could you share how much PE foam you needed? @JonB65 hoping you might be able to chime in on this as well. Only mention of this I saw was @gundarx originally saying he used almost all of ~60sq ft but my rough measurements of the wheel wells I came to ~168 sq. ft. for the front two wheel wells.
Getting ready to head out the door and just seeing this now. I am not sure how much total I used. I think I had the thinner foam and I was applying on the outside of the wheel wells (the tire side). Not sure how much it helped. I would probably been better off just doing a couple layers of butyl instead.

Next week I'm going to do butyl on the wheel wells under the frunk. Probably won't do the foam there.

Getting ready to head out the door and just seeing this now. I am not sure how much total I used. I think I had the thinner foam and I was applying on the outside of the wheel wells (the tire side). Not sure how much it helped. I would probably been better off just doing a couple layers of butyl instead.

Next week I'm going to do butyl on the wheel wells under the frunk. Probably won't do the foam there.

There's not a lot of good places to put butyl under the frunk for the wheel wells. Most direct exposure of the front wheel well is obscured by the front suspension frame.

Reactions: Georgesb2
I just bought those sound fabric wheel well liners from AliExpress and put them on. No butyl. Slight improvement but nothing major and maybe not even noticeable for some.
I have done the same install, not a lot of difference.

In fact the first time I did it, I took the original liners off and installed the new ones and it seems more quiet than when I put the originals back in and put the new ones on top of them.

May all be in my head

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovecoffee
Update : went to service center prior to my appt this coming Wednesday.
I warned them this sounds crazy and makes no sense but I get a terrible headache after being in the car even while sitting and not moving anywhere from 3-10 min. Was able to have tech sit and ride in car. He did not feel or hear anything. And truly tried to troubleshoot. He gave me his number to text him any evidence. Later that day he texted me saying he wanted me to know that after driving in my car he got a headache and brain fog like I described. But he cannot log this as there is nothing he can determine causes it .. or maybe it was coincidental. What’s baffling is that nothing is on in the car “car off” on drivers display. The only thing that is on is the wireless charger and the two led displays. I’m starting to think maybe a faulty display or it’s power supply so I bought an electrical signal , RD and EMF meter to test. This is getting ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas? Car has 600 miles on it and I’m starting to think I need to sell it. Keep in mind I had a model 3 for 3 years with no issues.

R
Update : went to service center prior to my appt this coming Wednesday.
I warned them this sounds crazy and makes no sense but I get a terrible headache after being in the car even while sitting and not moving anywhere from 3-10 min. Was able to have tech sit and ride in car. He did not feel or hear anything. And truly tried to troubleshoot. He gave me his number to text him any evidence. Later that day he texted me saying he wanted me to know that after driving in my car he got a headache and brain fog like I described. But he cannot log this as there is nothing he can determine causes it .. or maybe it was coincidental. What’s baffling is that nothing is on in the car “car off” on drivers display. The only thing that is on is the wireless charger and the two led displays. I’m starting to think maybe a faulty display or it’s power supply so I bought an electrical signal , RD and EMF meter to test. This is getting ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas? Car has 600 miles on it and I’m starting to think I need to sell it. Keep in mind I had a model 3 for 3 years with no issues.
The tech should at least have it written down that he got sick. I would try another sc to see what they say and can try to help. Maybe cabin filter but I think it could be from the electronic rays like you said.

EMF reader came today and it measures electricity , Rf and magnetic. i measured the EMF in the car today vs house and other areas. It seems the safe rating for emf is 3-5mG and that corresponds to everything I tested, except my car. The main display puts off 8+. The wireless phone charger puts off 10-78. Driver foot area puts off 15 and passenger 20. Center console arm rest 1.6. I’m no engineer so I’m just passing along info. I wonder how this compares to other cars. And are some of these readings out of normal operating range?

EMF reader came today and it measures electricity , Rf and magnetic. i measured the EMF in the car today vs house and other areas. It seems the safe rating for emf is 3-5mG and that corresponds to everything I tested, except my car. The main display puts off 8+. The wireless phone charger puts off 10-78. Driver foot area puts off 15 and passenger 20. Center console arm rest 1.6. I’m no engineer so I’m just passing along info. I wonder how this compares to other cars. And are some of these readings out of normal operating range?
I would speak with an attorney first and see if you have a case before going to the SC. If you do not want to go that route and take a hit and sell your car, instead of dealing with the SC for them to acknowledge it and see how they can fix it. And I am not an attorney.

Well the boominess is back. Not nearly as bad but it’s back to giving me a mild headache. I do notice it is worse at speeds around 30-40mph vs 60+. I can only guess that the hood is the culprit and or hatchback and the rubber stops are loose? The car just feels oddly air tight / sealed when sitting in it vs other cars. Like vacuum sealed. Maybe they went overboard in sealing it. Anyway let’s see what happens at my service appointment along with my 4 other open tickets, ugh. Never have I had this sensation in a car before… even flying 100k miles a year I don't get this feeling in a plane… bizarre!
I feel the exact same thing. It goes away when i open a window while driving. Ear pressure is felt just by closing the door as if the car is indeed oddly air tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Georgesb2