Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early lease "trade/swap"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious for the long-time Tesla owners here. Does Tesla ever allow you to trade in your lease early for another lease? For example, if you wanted to swap out a few months early for another Tesla? I'm curious if that is something they offer.

Just curious for the long-time Tesla owners here. Does Tesla ever allow you to trade in your lease early for another lease? For example, if you wanted to swap out a few months early for another Tesla? I'm curious if that is something they offer.
interested in this as well as i will be exceeding my 15,000 mi/year lease - hopefully i can swap ( for Model Y ;) ) a few months before my lease is up and avoid paying the .25 cents per mile overage charge..

Tesla initiated and offered me an early lease-buy for my Model X if I bought/leased another Tesla vehicle. This was a little over a year ago. At that time, my Model X was 2.5 yrs into a 3 year lease. They gave me 30-days to accept the offer, which I did. However, it took the leasing company (US Bank) over a month to schedule a lease-end inspection. Tesla extended the offer by another 15 days. Other than that, it was a fairly painless process. I ended up leasing another Model X for 3 years.

I was over the mileage limit for 2.5 year mark but not for the 3 year mark. There was no extra mileage charge as my mileage was still within the original 3 year lease term.

Tesla initiated and offered me an early lease-buy for my Model X if I bought/leased another Tesla vehicle. This was a little over a year ago. At that time, my Model X was 2.5 yrs into a 3 year lease. They gave me 30-days to accept the offer, which I did. However, it took the leasing company (US Bank) over a month to schedule a lease-end inspection. Tesla extended the offer by another 15 days. Other than that, it was a fairly painless process. I ended up leasing another Model X for 3 years.

I was over the mileage limit for 2.5 year mark but not for the 3 year mark. There was no extra mileage charge as my mileage was still within the original 3 year lease term.
Awesome to hear!

US Bank? So all leases are no through Tesla finance hu?

Last year at the end of the 3rd quarter Tesla offered an early turn in leases that had less than a year left on their lease if you bought or leased a new Tesla. I was really hoping they would offer it again this year so that I could do an early turn in on my lease but so far I haven't heard anything like that happening.

Last year at the end of the 3rd quarter Tesla offered an early turn in leases that had less than a year left on their lease if you bought or leased a new Tesla. I was really hoping they would offer it again this year so that I could do an early turn in on my lease but so far I haven't heard anything like that happening.

Very interesting...I'm guessing the Model 3's and Y's will sell good enough to where they won't need to take back leases early.

Very interesting...I'm guessing the Model 3's and Y's will sell good enough to where they won't need to take back leases early.

Maybe. But leasing on the Model 3 is pretty new, so we may not know for a while. Also, I suspect the Model Y is going to be more popular than the Model 3, since people like/love CUVs. So you could get into a situation where leasing a Model 3 has incentives, but a Model Y does not.