Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ease of entering/exiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the complaints of the Model S (and presumably 3) is that it is fairly low to the ground and harder for older people or people with less mobility to get in and out of the car. How does the Y work in this regard? As easy to get in and out of as the X? Easier than the S or 3?

That is my number one concern as well. As well as the spaciousness and seating comfort of the second row (which in the Model 3 is simply unacceptable to me, for anyone but children for more than a very short ride). I'd really like a car that is easier to enter/exit than my Model S, and which has enough rear seat space and comfort for a couple of adults to use occasionally without having to fold themselves into a pretzel....

How was the ground clearance? (Also between an X and a 3)? I'm assuming that there won't be any air suspension due to cost.

I suspect the ground clearance will prevent and real off-roading or breaking snow with this vehicle. But, that is true with most modern family CUVs.

At one time I was surprised that SUVs we made without 4 wheel drive. But, now I accept that most of these vehicles are never driven off pavement. Most buyers select them for seat height, ease of entry, and the ability to look over traffic.

Believe it or not, I managed to wrench my back from getting in and out while test driving a model 3 for 3 days.

My Prius is just the right height and I hope the model Y will be close to that.

Agreed! That might be one of the only reasons I would seriously consider an EV in the SUV form factor. With my arthritic back, it is safer and more comfortable to get out of a higher seat than the ones in my Model S. As a Mercedes driver for more than 40 years, I look forward to having a good look at the EQC when it arrives. Early reviews of the European version seem very positive, and Bjorn Nyland's testing shows it is more efficient than the Model X or the ETron, and indeed almost as efficient as my 70D.

Reactions: Arctic_White
I'd like to replace our Highlander with a Model Y, but if the ground clearance isn't as high on the Y as the Highlander, I guess I'll be waiting for the Tesla Truck. My wife hates the falcon doors on the X, so that is not an option ;)

HIghlander is bit too high for me (alteast 2010, I think they lowered it since then)

I miss my RAV4 so I'm hoping that Y will be closer to that..

Hovering over the “buy it now”/deposit button... wondering on how this stacks up to the current 2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription that I have now... The S is not going to cut it for me, as I really want/need a flat loading tailgate. I found the S a bit of a pain to get in and out of. (I’m not some unfit 600lb’r, but after the last few years in a SPA XC90 and XC60, climbing in and out of a sedan sucks, as I find it). Most likely, I’m going to throw caution to the wind and just put a deposit down on one. My XC60 has air suspension, but I’ve lived without it for so many years, it’s not that big of a deal.

Depending on how tall you are, it can really make a difference. I am 6'4", so I have to have the seat all the way back in a model S. The B pillar then blocks me from getting out, I need to move forward, or pull myself forward and out. Not a fun thing to have to do every day. The model 3 is much better from this perspective, but is closer to the ground, so now my damaged knees start to have a problem. So I am hoping the model Y will be the best of both worlds, base seat a little higher without the B pillar issue.

G.

Depending on how tall you are, it can really make a difference. I am 6'4", so I have to have the seat all the way back in a model S. The B pillar then blocks me from getting out, I need to move forward, or pull myself forward and out. Not a fun thing to have to do every day. The model 3 is much better from this perspective, but is closer to the ground, so now my damaged knees start to have a problem. So I am hoping the model Y will be the best of both worlds, base seat a little higher without the B pillar issue.

G.
I'm the same height and I "swing" into the driver's seat by gripping the steering wheel in the S to avoid the B pillar (I feel your pain!).

Reactions: Ghanziang
Hovering over the “buy it now”/deposit button... wondering on how this stacks up to the current 2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription that I have now... The S is not going to cut it for me, as I really want/need a flat loading tailgate. I found the S a bit of a pain to get in and out of. (I’m not some unfit 600lb’r, but after the last few years in a SPA XC90 and XC60, climbing in and out of a sedan sucks, as I find it). Most likely, I’m going to throw caution to the wind and just put a deposit down on one. My XC60 has air suspension, but I’ve lived without it for so many years, it’s not that big of a deal.
I don’t think you’ll regret it. My model three is the best purchase I’ve ever made

Bought my Model X because it was uncomfortable getting in and out of an S. Love the X and it is the perfect road car.

Imagine that the Model Y will also be easy to get in and out of. Something about that higher seating that makes entry/exit a breeze.

These things are gonna sell like hotcakes. Elon says they expect them to outsell S/X/3 COMBINED!

Reactions: Arctic_White
I'm also 6'4", and the S would not work for that reason. B-pillar completely blocks my view and mobility.
I bought a 3 to get me through to the Y. The 3 is way too low, and I have the seat all the way back, so it's also a literal pain.
If I was keeping it, I'd raise it up 2", which is what I'd do if the Y is too low.
It's either that or wait for the pickup, go X or Rivian. Rivian looking good right about now.