Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think in general Tesla is targeting putting super chargers between cities, rather than in cities. I would guess the Charlton Plaza. It's half way between Milford and Boston and is on the Mass Pike, meaning it would also support trips to western Mass.

That being said, Boston, as opposed to the Charlton Plaza, is what's shown on Tesla's long term map (shown below), so maybe I'm wrong.

View attachment 10088

I totally agree. I think Charlton would make a lot of sense. Although Boston would be great, midpoint locations seem to make even more sense. Not the least of which they would be much cheaper in terms of land acquisition and/or long-term ground leases... IMO Tesla wants you charging at your house and utilizing strategic remote/midpoint SC locations, so they are always available. Huge benefit and relieves range anxiety issues. I could envision putting a bunch of SC's in major cities and having them frequently occupied by locals.

The most important issue for I-89 is Montreal-Boston traffic. IMO, a logical first stop for the Montreal traffic would be Williston VT, just south of Burlington. (About 100 miles from Montreal. This is probably about the right distance, to allow for city traffic when leaving Montreal and potential delays at the border.) There is a large shopping plaza just off the Williston exit called Maple Tree Place. Plenty of room for superchargers. There's Starbucks, shopping, and a few chain restaurants. This stop would put Burlington area Tesla owners on the same footing as the Montrealers for the rest of the drive to Boston.

The next logical stop would be somewhere near Bow NH (147 miles from Williston VT) or go further south to Manchester NH (159 miles from Williston VT)

Ideally, there should also be a supercharger on the North side of Boston, perhaps near the intersection of I-93 and I-95.

+ 1 that is exactly my thoughts. Because in winter time, there is no way to reach Montpellier from Boston or Montreal on one charge.

Another approach is to put one in Magog and another one at Lebanon or white river junction. (it's not the most direct way, but may cover more itinerary than just Montreal - Boston)

+ 1 that is exactly my thoughts. Because in winter time, there is no way to reach Montpellier from Boston or Montreal on one charge.

Another approach is to put one in Magog and another one at Lebanon or white river junction. (it's not the most direct way, but may cover more itinerary than just Montreal - Boston)

St. Johnsbury VT (148 miles from Montreal) might make more sense than Magog. It's where I-91 and I-93 come together. (St. Johnsbury VT is 122 miles from Manchester NH via I-93) This would cover northern NH and northeastern VT nicely.

St. Johnsbury VT (148 miles from Montreal) might make more sense than Magog. It's where I-91 and I-93 come together. (St. Johnsbury VT is 122 miles from Manchester NH via I-93) This would cover northern NH and northeastern VT nicely.
St. Johnsbury gets a big thumbs-up from me. There's more to Quebec than Montreal. St. Johnsbury links up to eastern Quebec and would provide an "on-ramp" to the Sun Country Highway going eastward towards Quebec City.

So, to sum up, here's my complete supercharger list for VT & NH. This will also serve Quebec drivers coming down either I-89 or I-93.

I-89/I-93 Corridor - (Montreal/Burlington/Manchester/Boston)
• Williston VT (Maple Tree Place, 100 miles from Montreal)
• Manchester NH area (Possibly at the State Liquor Store rest area on I-93)
• Wilmington/Woburn MA area (Not too far from the intersection of I-93 and I-95)

I-91 Corridor - (St. Johnsbury VT/White River Jct/Springfield MA/Hartford CT)
• St. Johnsbury VT (148 miles from Montreal)
• Brattleboro VT (131 miles from Milford CT)

I-93 Corridor - (St. Johnsbury VT/Concord NH/Boston)
• St. Johnsbury VT (148 miles from Montreal)
• Manchester NH area (Possibly at the State Liquor Store rest area on I-93)
• Wilmington/Woburn MA area (Not too far from the intersection of I-93 and I-95)

White River Junction/West Lebanon is NOT necessary: Brattleboro to Williston is 148 miles. Brattleboro to St. Johnsbury is 122 miles.

Last edited:
So, to sum up, here's my complete supercharger list for VT & NH. This will also serve Quebec drivers coming down either I-89 or I-93.

White River Junction/West Lebanon is NOT necessary: Brattleboro to Williston is 148 miles. Brattleboro to St. Johnsbury is 122 miles.
Good points, Todd -- if Tesla's willing to put in 4 Supercharging locations in NH&VT. The map showed only one, however, and if there's only one, I still think WRJ is the best option.

Distances from WRJ and:
Boston: 127 miles
Albany: 131 miles
Portland ME: 148 miles
Sherbrooke QC: 148 miles
Montreal: 183 miles
Milford CT: 191 miles

Admittedly, those last two are pushing it, but they're shorter than the span between the current Delaware/Connecticut pair.

Good points, Todd -- if Tesla's willing to put in 4 Supercharging locations in NH&VT. The map showed only one, however, and if there's only one, I still think WRJ is the best option.

Distances from WRJ and:
Boston: 127 miles
Albany: 131 miles
Portland ME: 148 miles
Sherbrooke QC: 148 miles
Montreal: 183 miles
Milford CT: 191 miles

Admittedly, those last two are pushing it, but they're shorter than the span between the current Delaware/Connecticut pair.

Robert,

Originally, I thought WRJ/West Lebanon made sense too. But it's just too far for the Canadians, especially in a 60kWh Model S, not to mention winter and customs delays. Sometimes you can sit at the border for an hour. I believe Canadians will represent the bulk of Tesla traffic on I-89. Even now with ICE cars, you will find a fairly significant percentage of Canadian plates on I-89, usually passing through Vermont on their way to Boston.

The I-91 corridor could be given lower priority. St. Johnsbury is certainly not a critical location. Brattleboro might be worthy, though, as a nice midway between Milford CT and Williston VT.

Robert,

Originally, I thought WRJ/West Lebanon made sense too. But it's just too far for the Canadians, especially in a 60kWh Model S, not to mention winter and customs delays. Sometimes you can sit at the border for an hour. I believe Canadians will represent the bulk of Tesla traffic on I-89. Even now with ICE cars, you will find a fairly significant percentage of Canadian plates on I-89, usually passing through Vermont on their way to Boston.

The I-91 corridor could be given lower priority. St. Johnsbury is certainly not a critical location. Brattleboro might be worthy, though, as a nice midway between Milford CT and Williston VT.
I'm not convinced that Canadians will be in the majority on 89. I certainly see a lot more US plates than Canadian when I'm on 89.
In general though I think New England and particularly northern New England is slated for far too few superchargers. There's a lot of tourist traffic all over northern New England and the Cape which isn't going to be well served with the current plans.

Word from folks at the Watertown Service Center is to expect a SC between the current pair in CT and DE -- which we'll affectionately dub the "Broder charger." Also rumors that Tesla has been talking to the towns of Brattleboro and Burlington VT.

I'm going to Suffern, NY next week for a conference. Superchargers in those locations would be awesome - I could bring my S. As it stands I have a reservation at Budget for an ICE. :frown:

Maybe next year...

I'm going to Suffern, NY next week for a conference. Superchargers in those locations would be awesome - I could bring my S. As it stands I have a reservation at Budget for an ICE. :frown:

Maybe next year...
Coincidentally, I could use one right there next month, myself -- driving to the Delaware Water Gap area. There's a ChargePoint next door in Montebello ($3/hr).

Here is a quick video I made in case anyone is interested how it looks.

Tesla Supercharging Station Wilmington DE - YouTube

Man, I can't believe you can walk up to those subpanels so closely- especially the big on/off throw there... Maybe it's supposed to be accessible, just seems like it could be prone to vandalism... The superchargers themselves seem to be very close to the curb too.. any distracted person backing up with a hitch, etc could knock them over or damage them by running into them.. seems like it would make more sense to build them a tad bit further from the curb with a little longer connecting cable

Is there any photo or any supercharger in atlanta preferably in marietta also is there a way to install a supercharger in your home i always thought that would be cool

Yeah, not really possible, unless your "Home" has commercial 3 phase power... It's also not needed, as the HPWC that runs at 240V 80A can charge the Model S at more than 50MPH. There's also a cost issue, 4-6 bay SC rumored to run Tesla $250K, not real practical for your average homeowner, even if you could somehow get commercial grade power to your house, even scaling it back to 1 or 2 bays doesn't save much, as the equipment and infrastructure and permitting is where the costs are.

No superchargers in the Atlanta Metro area and I don't believe there are any current plans for one in the metro area either. Closest future ones would be around Commerce, GA and Macon, GA, but for now there are not any superchargers near enough to Atlanta to be within the reasonable range of a Model S.