Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Recargo site, I saw for the Marriott in Columbia SC under chargers TESLA, but it wasn't operational. Could this be a super charger site?

I stayed at that Columbia Marriott downtown a few weeks ago and all they have are a couple of level 2 chargers. Teslas have charged there, so maybe that is what you saw? Don't see anything on Recargo that shows that site as a Supercharger site: http://www.recargo.com/sites/8394

At least is there a single supercharger in atlanta preferably marietta or smyrna in that kind of area?

Both of these locations appear way too close to the city. Tesla's superchargers are not meant to be for a typical daily commute. Instead, if you look at the major highways and destinations radiating out from Atlanta, and then go roughly 80-120 miles, that's where a supercharger should go - it enables 60kWh Model S owners to reasonably drive further given a full battery and bad weather conditions. The first one Tesla shows on the "original battle plan" is a winter 2013 supercharger almost to the South Carolina border. That would make trips to Charlotte possible on supercharger only. We're talking more like Lavonia or Carnesville, GA than the metro suburbs of Atlanta.

The Savannah, GA location is obviously intended to facilitate north/south I-95 traffic.

The next most likely supercharger is just outside Macon, GA. That would make it far easier to connect Atlanta to Florida.

If you have a specific location outside of Macon, GA or on the route to Charlotte, NC, then by all means contact Tesla and let them know why that place makes sense. If the property owner is extremely cooperative, and it makes sense, it may be possible to "jump in front" and get Tesla to install earlier than later. One of the things that Tesla talked about at the Richmond RIR event was that Tesla definitely looks at where existing owners are and where they want to go in choosing supercharger locations.

The map of planned Superchargers in Florida has changed radically. No Superchargers anywhere near Tampa, Orlando, or Miami. You're stuck trying to find a slow charger. Going to Disney? For the most part forget about it. Considering the paucity of any chargers and the universal slowness of the chargers the new Supercharger plan in Florida makes it hard to travel in the state, particularly day trips.

The map of planned Superchargers in Florida has changed radically. No Superchargers anywhere near Tampa, Orlando, or Miami. You're stuck trying to find a slow charger. Going to Disney? For the most part forget about it. Considering the paucity of any chargers and the universal slowness of the chargers the new Supercharger plan in Florida makes it hard to travel in the state, particularly day trips.

Coming from the north, to go to Disney, I'd use the Port Orange supercharger. No need for another supercharger on the way - instead we just need a larger base of L2 chargers. Given any Disney trip is likely to have the car sitting for many hours across 3+ days, it's easy to get fully charged back up. Now western Florida, especially northwestern Florida is going to take a bit longer, but there's quite a few planned for 2014.

Both of these locations appear way too close to the city. Tesla's superchargers are not meant to be for a typical daily commute. Instead, if you look at the major highways and destinations radiating out from Atlanta, and then go roughly 80-120 miles, that's where a supercharger should go

The next most likely supercharger is just outside Macon, GA. That would make it far easier to connect Atlanta to Florida..

This view overlooks the fact that I-75 is the major conduit for travel between Florida and the Midwest and vice versa. Not all trips originate in Atlanta which is what the above implies. If, on my way to Indiana or Ohio, I should stop for a full charge at Macon, I may not make it to the proposed SC in Chattanooga without an SC in between. Conversely, I may not make it from Chattanooga to Macon. Thus, Marietta or some other place in the area makes a lot of sense. I already communicated this to the Supercharger Team at TMC.

Last edited:
Greenwich, CT - Merritt Parkway North/South Update!

All - I finally decided to swing by the service areas on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich, CT to check the progress... Unfortunately not much seems to be happening and the Superchargers seem to be about 50% (or more) complete. There are 4 charging bays on each side of the parkway.

Here are some pictures (finally!)....

Merritt Parkway North Service Plaza:
IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg
IMG_1763.jpg
IMG_1764.jpg

Merritt Parkway South Service Plaza:
IMG_1765.jpg
IMG_1766.jpg

Do we know the thinking behind putting one at Greenwich? That seems somewhat redundant with Darien and Milford, though the Merritt is admittedly a different route from 95 and would suit me better on my way to Maine.

I'm hoping for a Mass Pike location near Sturbridge, and points further north like Manchester or Portsmouth NH, on the way to Canada.

Do we know the thinking behind putting one at Greenwich? That seems somewhat redundant with Darien and Milford, though the Merritt is admittedly a different route from 95 and would suit me better on my way to Maine.

I'm hoping for a Mass Pike location near Sturbridge, and points further north like Manchester or Portsmouth NH, on the way to Canada.
Connecticut is apparently very enthusiastic about superchargers, and the location on the Merritt is very welcome. I despise that stretch of I-95.

It appears that Simon Properties is Tesla's partner at many SC sites, and there's a new dot on the map near Portsmouth NH. My guess is that this is Simon's Kittery Premium Outlets property, which would be a pretty decent location.

Greenwich, CT - Merritt Parkway North/South Update!

All - I finally decided to swing by the service areas on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich, CT to check the progress... Unfortunately not much seems to be happening and the Superchargers seem to be about 50% (or more) complete. There are 4 charging bays on each side of the parkway.
Any new news? It would be very handy for me if the northbound Greenwich chargers were on line next week...