Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ontario is perfectly poised to be the California of the North when it comes to Tesla cars. We have excess electricity, we have a government that has pledged $20M for new chargers and we have manufacturing capacity to build cars. Government must understand that the 2 problems plaguing EVs are range and charging speed. Both have been addressed by Tesla. With the model 3 success, the new charging standard for distance travel will be the Supercharger. The government should leverage the $20M and work with Tesla to rapidly expand the Tesla charger network across Ontario, put Superchargers at ONroute locations along the 400 series highways, perhaps charge a nominal fee ($2) for say 30 min of charging. Forget J1772, forget CHAdeMO. With the Tesla 3 explosion, the Supercharger will be the standard. Perhaps it will force GM to adopt the Tesla charging paradigm.
Finally, Ontario could look at becoming a manufacturing hub for the Model 3....

Ontario is perfectly poised to be the California of the North when it comes to Tesla cars. We have excess electricity, we have a government that has pledged $20M for new chargers and we have manufacturing capacity to build cars. Government must understand that the 2 problems plaguing EVs are range and charging speed. Both have been addressed by Tesla. With the model 3 success, the new charging standard for distance travel will be the Supercharger. The government should leverage the $20M and work with Tesla to rapidly expand the Tesla charger network across Ontario, put Superchargers at ONroute locations along the 400 series highways, perhaps charge a nominal fee ($2) for say 30 min of charging. Forget J1772, forget CHAdeMO. With the Tesla 3 explosion, the Supercharger will be the standard. Perhaps it will force GM to adopt the Tesla charging paradigm.
Finally, Ontario could look at becoming a manufacturing hub for the Model 3....

You have competition to become the California of the north :) Quebec has the lead in plug-ins and chargers. But with Ontario new incentives, you might catch up. Good luck :)

I have put in a request for a SC in Bancroft, Ontario. It is halfway between many sources and destinations as well as being the centre of that region of cottage country. Anyone else agree?

I also second what others have mentioned for something between Ottawa and North Bay.

Any bets on when Canada's two coasts are linked north of the border? 2020?

Reactions: Thalass
Bancroft is 150 km from both Barrie and Port Hope superchargers.

I understand the need to have charging stations every 150 km on Ontario routes for same day trips to destination and back to home.

For example, the majority of day trips we take in the winter are from Toronto to KW (area) and return. The S85 has plenty of range for that 300 km round trip most days, but in really cold weather, it's right on the edge.

That said, Bancroft wouldn't figure highly on any list of destinations I can think of that would be day trips for the vast majority of Ontario residents. I mean, how many people day trip to cottage country and aren't going to their own cottage with L2 charging available to add 100 km of range in an afternoon for example?

Thanks for the perspective SmartElectric. It was the winter trip from future Ottawa SC to Barrie/future Huntsville SC gap that I was thinking of without having to head down the to 401. I was also thinking of either off-grid cottages or visiting a friend's cottage and not wanting to blow any breakers (or fuses in old junction boxes). Perhaps a small bank of HPWCs would be sufficient to top up a few kilometres on the way through without the larger cost of a SC.

Kawartha Dairies certainly needs one (we certainly stop there on the way through :)

Thanks for the perspective SmartElectric. It was the winter trip from future Ottawa SC to Barrie/future Huntsville SC gap that I was thinking of without having to head down the to 401. I was also thinking of either off-grid cottages or visiting a friend's cottage and not wanting to blow any breakers (or fuses in old junction boxes). Perhaps a small bank of HPWCs would be sufficient to top up a few kilometres on the way through without the larger cost of a SC.

Kawartha Dairies certainly needs one (we certainly stop there on the way through :)
Bancroft sounds great - in the middle of the near North. It gets very busy in the Summer. Fingers crossed.

To top it of, only one of the 2 stalls in montreal was working yesterday.
1a was dead. Nothing.
I guy arrive just a second before me, and draw the lucky number. I could not charge and had to leave, empty... Well, with 140 km left... And i need 300...
There need to be a new SC in the montreal area... Am i the only one calling and emailing Tesla every week on that matter?

According to the reports I have, the ONRoute charging station "coming soon" signs have been there for some years. Talk of actually putting them in has been only that. Or does someone have more recent information?
The On route locations have all removed their "charging coming soon" signs. Conflict of interest with the Canadian tire Gas stations.
Will have to charge elsewhere for Non Tesla cars I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Nice little place to stop indeed. Went there (Magog CHAdeMO and futur SC) this weekend, in which case Avril closes at 6pm and the bakery (Owls bread) closes at 5:30pm. We were there too late for the bakery, but Avril was still open. They sell bio food and all sorts of bio cosmetics, etc. Even found "fair trade" bananas!

Near the bakery, there is a nice lounge. No vending machines, but couches and tables where you can eat what you bought at the Avril or the bakery. Not sure about the opening hours of the lounge, though.

And in any case, there is a gaz station with a convenience store just in front, on the other side of the road, which closes at 10pm every day.

There need to be a new SC in the montreal area... Am i the only one calling and emailing Tesla every week on that matter?
It must be so frustrating... they shouldn't even consider this a Supercharger site, really. When visiting from Ontario last year I charged to 100% in Cornwall so I could get back to Cornwall without needing a charge.

On to Ontario... I emailed the Supercharger team regarding the Grimsby area SC but still no official news, except a promise that it should be up by next winter for sure :D

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca