Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PoweredbyRain, I don't agree with you. What are we supposed to do when we get to our destination city then?
Chances are the hotel you want to go to doesn't have charging capabilities.

If it's on a Supercharger route, it doesn't matter whether you can charge overnight, because you're in range of the next Supercharger. But generally speaking, yes, you should be able to charge at your destination, be it a hotel or someone's house. The original point of the Superchargers was to enable travel between cities, not to provide a charge at the destination. It's a whole lot more convenient to leave the car plugged in overnight than to drive to a Supercharger, wait for the charge, then drive to the hotel/house.

Tesla provides a map of "destination charging" partners, and there are plenty of J1772 chargers at hotels that you can find via plugshare.com

I think most of the "in city" Superchargers are at service centres, and they are there because Tesla kind of needs them for service. It usually costs very little additional to make it a full installation.

I think there are a lot of chargers in California simply due to density of cars. Also, because getting across a city like LA can take forever at the wrong time of day. Basically, at a certain point it becomes an interesting question whether it makes sense to build beyond 10 stalls or so, rather than adding another 10 stall site at a different location.

If the density of Tesla cars in Toronto ever comes close to what's found in L.A. or the Bay Area, I'm sure you'll start to see more Superchargers in the region.

No, Cyborg or Port Hope are just too close to Toronto.
Plus, Napanee is a good send off to Hwy 7 to drive to Ottawa. Belleville would be my next choice.

In contrast to that, I believe that we primarily want to aim for a Kingston-Toronto journey that's actually convenient to use under all conditions! That would include for S60 owners and would also include NOT needing to stay for fully 60 minutes at a SC just to be able to drive at a reasonable highway speed and be able to reach the next SC even in the deep winter cold when our battery range derates down to 65% or less.

Napanee certainly wouldn't fill that bill at all, being only 40 km from Kingston yet still 215 km from Toronto. Belleville is hardly better at 80 km west of Kingston.
Colborne is very close to the midpoint at 130 km west of Kingston & 115 east of Toronto. - Perhaps a very convenient location would be the Big Apple right off the 401.
Cobourg also splits the interval nicely as 150 km & 100 km, while Clarington (at the end of Hwy 115 that leads to Hwy 7 and to Ottawa!) starts pushing the balance the other way at 175 & 75.

IMO Cobourg is a good choice because it uniquely brings the added benefit of allowing drivers bypassing Toronto (e.g. via the 407) to avoid having to visit the really out-of-the-way SC in Toronto: Cobourg to Woodstock is a doable 240 km. In truth, Clarington would perhaps be the BEST choice of all, being 210 from Woodstock and still just 175 from Kingston. In any case, I think that this is a significant benefit and consideration if Tesla really wants to ensure that traveling the 401 corridor will be as convenient as possible throughout, and actually also be competitive to using the ICEV alternative.

Last edited:
I think Cobourg is too close to Toronto. I agree that both the Toronto SC and Cornwall are really "out of the way" from the 401 whereas Kingston in Perfect.
Woodstock is fairly close to the 401 and Comber will be too when it opens in 2018! LOL!

I agree, Cobourg is in the best place to split the Kingston-Toronto trip in half, and anywhere West of there wouldn't be reachable from Ottawa. The Northumberland Mall or the Walmart/Home Depot area just north of there would be ideal spots - big parking lots with several food and shopping options nearby.

Woodstock SC : Fabulous "No Parking except for..." Signage

I ... had to stop at the Woodstock SC ... three of the SC spots were blocked by very large pickups and one was blocked by an ICE car...

Good news from the Woodstock SC! On arriving today I was very happy to be greeted by the sight of very clear and explicit signs at each spot that inform/direct about the use of the spaces! Unless I was sleepwalking when I was here last, I think these are new, yes?

A huge THANK YOU to the Quality Hotel & Suites owner for taking this strong initiative and not using wishy washy language. I have no doubt that this intervention will be very effective, and I also hope it will inspire other SC locations to step up and do likewise, if at all appropriate to them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMO Cobourg is a good choice because it uniquely brings the added benefit of allowing drivers bypassing Toronto (e.g. via the 407) to avoid having to visit the really out-of-the-way SC in Toronto: Cobourg to Woodstock is a doable 240 km. In truth, Clarington would perhaps be the BEST choice of all, being 210 from Woodstock and still just 175 from Kingston. In any case, I think that this is a significant benefit and consideration if Tesla really wants to ensure that traveling the 401 corridor will be as convenient as possible throughout, and actually also be competitive to using the ICEV alternative.
Cobourg is a great choice but hopefully it's proximity to Woodstock won't be as much of a factor in the near future if Tesla sets up a supercharger in the West GTA, Oakville, Burlington or Hamilton. You could then service those making the trip to Niagara Falls/ On the Lake or Buffalo which is a very common little road trip. I thought the routes in this direction to the big cities in Mid Atlantic might be more travelled and more of a priority than those heading to MI and the midwest, I guess I was wrong.
In the reverse direction those heading into the GTA could skip over the Lawrence SC and head right to Barrie (150 KM) or Cobourg (186 km) very comfortably with the HEAT/Defrost Cranked! Another thing is favour of this is that there are rumors of a service centre or full showroom coming to the west of GTA area which will mean low overhead costs for a SC. Hopefully the property will be large with many chargers and be close to the HWY. Already Lots of existing auto dealerships along the 403 !

Colborne is very close to the midpoint at 130 km west of Kingston & 115 east of Toronto. - Perhaps a very convenient location would be the Big Apple right off the 401.
Cobourg also splits the interval nicely as 150 km & 100 km, while Clarington (at the end of Hwy 115 that leads to Hwy 7 and to Ottawa!) starts pushing the balance the other way at 175 & 75.
2 Issues
-nothing else around but the Big Apple and Tim Hortons.
-the big apple isn't good! I really dislike their pies lol

No, Cyborg or Port Hope are just too close to Toronto.
Plus, Napanee is a good send off to Hwy 7 to drive to Ottawa. Belleville would be my next choice.

Wouldn't Napanee be too close to Kingston then @50km away? Thats much closer than Cobourg to Toronto @106km
Napanee just makes no logical sense as a top priority right now, nice to have but maybe once the 250 km gaps between chargers are closed. Second, i'm not too sure how well travelled HWY 7 is but then again i've never travelled that short cut.

I like Belleville! but only for selfish reasons as it's my final destination every other week, I think it's still too close to Kingston @82 KM

Last edited:
Good news from the Woodstock SC! On arriving today I was very happy to be greeted by the sight of very clear and explicit signs at each spot that inform/direct about the use of the spaces! Unless I was sleepwalking when I was here last, I think these are new, yes?

A huge THANK YOU to the Quality Hotel & Suites owner for taking this strong initiative and not using wishy washy language. I have no doubt that this intervention will be very effective, and I also hope it will inspire other SC locations to step up and do likewise, if at all appropriate to them.

Completely agree - I had charged there earlier today (on the way back from Florida) and found no ICEing - the signs seem to be working and should be made standard issue for SC locations!

On a more negative note, late yesterday afternoon we arrived at Lima OH and found all eight of the Superchargers were lit, but were providing no real power. Tesla was good and arranged for a lift to Maumee, but it ended up being a very late night. I have posted notes on PlugShare and would ask anyone travelling that route to update PlugShare accordingly. The good news is that Lima can easily be skipped, in both directions, if you knew in advance that the SC is down. The bad newscomes when you arrive with little remaining power. There are no local HPWC options and only 30 Amp L2 charging at a local mall.

Completely agree - I had charged there earlier today (on the way back from Florida) and found no ICEing - the signs seem to be working and should be made standard issue for SC locations!

The same signs have been installed at the Newark DE and Glen Allen VA superchargers, and probably others too. It sounds like Tesla is finally listening and putting up proper signage, at least at SC locations where there has been an ICEing problem.

I am pretty sure that those signs were there were there when I stopped in less than two weeks ago and three of the spots were ICE'd by very large pickups.

Excellent. Yes those are new. I and probably a few others contacted both the hotel owner and Tesla recommending these signs. That site was heavily ICE'd the few times I was there, so hopefully this will help.

Yes I tried on every stall :)

Travel between US and Toronto area has been possible in a 85 since the opening of Utica charger (I'll do the trip on April 3rd)

But now our friends in Texas, that have been stranded on their own little "island" can now finally travel to rest of US after opening the Ardmore, OK supercharger.
Their ordeal must have been especially painful since after California, the most Teslas are registered in Texas!

The trip off 401 to the Lawrence Ave. SCs is often not as burdensome as some may think. The distance is short, and there's more than one way to get there, not only via the DV Parking Lot in don't-bother-to-try-to-rush hours. I agree that too often it's less than ideal.

Any further SCs between Kingston and Toronto might take into consideration where Tranmere is going or where an additional location is going. But if you want to bypass both Toronto and the new location, consider bisecting the road between Kingston and Woodstock, and you get more or less Bowmanville. Or Clarington or Oshawa. How about Stevenson Rd. S. in Oshawa? :wink:

Last edited: