Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

easy entry activated while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today as I was driving my S along a local road, the Easy Entry feature activated suddenly and started moving the seat back. The seat belt was buckled and the car was in D, so I'm not sure how this could have happened. This seems very dangerous, as I've set easy entry so that my feet can barely reach the pedals and definitely cannot safely drive in this position. Has anyone experienced the same?

Reactions: JenniferQ
Today as I was driving my S along a local road, the Easy Entry feature activated suddenly and started moving the seat back. The seat belt was buckled and the car was in D, so I'm not sure how this could have happened. This seems very dangerous, as I've set easy entry so that my feet can barely reach the pedals and definitely cannot safely drive in this position. Has anyone experienced the same?
There was a report ofnthe same for someone I think tried restarting the screen while driving. I hope you reach out to Teslaas this is a serious safety issue.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
I definitely had this happen when I rebooted the center screen while driving. For me only the steering wheel started moving away from me since this is all that I adjust for easy entry. Still very unsettling. This is something that should not happen.
Yes, it was part of the easy entry update indeed. the issue happend several times during my drive.I turned off easy entry on the profile and deleted and recreated the driver profile after reaching home.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
My screen was not rebooting when this occurred, but maybe something internal, not visible to the user, started rebooting?

When this started happening, the big screen profile selector menu popped out by itself, but it was showing "Valet" as the only option (I should have 2 profiles + easy entry listed). Since my normal profile wasn't showing, I couldn't manually select it to restore my original position. But after a few seconds (perhaps after the seat finished moving but it was hard to tell as I had to look at the road), the car reverted back to the normal seating position without any action from me and all was normal for the rest of the drive.

I considered the possibility that something bumped into the seat controls as I was driving. But I don't think this was the case, as the screen would have displayed something different (the "Save" and "Restore" options). Also, no one else was in the car and nothing was loose.

Insane. My 11 year old infiniti does it just fine.

I'm sure, same on a string of BMWs, but I imagine you also had an engine off switch/key which triggered it, Tesla doesn't so it has to detect something to enable it, thats the unbuckling of the seatbelt.

We also know the central screen which coordinates many of these things can be temperamental at times requiring the odd reboot, although nowhere near as bad as it once was, and I'm guessing that occasionally this is whats causing the problem.

For what its worth, I still have comfort exit but its not massively different to my driving position, I could still drive if I had to using it.

Now you have piqued my interest/curiosity. What kind of failures (do I really want to know?) have you experienced and what year/model do you have, Hornedfrog1?

How much time do you have? Here we go...I have a CPO early 16 Model S 70D. Had about 32,000 on it when I got it and had only been taken in by previous owner for standard maintenance. It has 47,000 now. A few weeks after getting it I started having problems with connectivity of the phone and radio (radio would lose the station even with full bars or service, the MCU would reset while driving, the volume would start rising on its own after a call, etc etc etc). Firmware updates and hard factory resets of the MCU time after time after time...nothing worked. After about nine months they decided they needed to replace the connectivity board for both the radio and phone and upgrade it to the 4g lte. That helped most of the issues but after upgrading firmware recently (that’s another story in a minute) it seems to be getting worse again (calls cutting out, radio switching on its own after I park). About six months after I got it I had the passenger side door handle go out. One day later the drivers side door handle went out. Three months later I had a third handle, back door, stop presenting. Somewhere in there I had to take it in another time to have the exploding Takata passenger airbag replaced under recall, which I found out about myself, tesla never contacted me. About three weeks ago I was driving, looked down, and my odometer was a zero...no numbers. After a mile or so, it was back to normal. I forgot to call my SVC to ask about it because I got home and my kids wanted me and I forgot. A week or so later I was on a road trip with my kids about 260 miles from home when, starting to drive back well after dark, I received a warning that said, “car requires service! May not restart!” No way was I getting on the road in a malfunctioning car, after dark, with my young family. Road side confirmed not driving because it could leave us stranded at any time. Spent another night which we weren’t planning on, and had it towed to service on Sunday. They gave me a Kia minivan rental car and we drove home. They got on it and found that before our trip our high voltage battery coolant heater unit was starting to have a voltage issue and that when I supercharged twice on our trip it sent too much electricity into the unit and fried it. They also discovered that my 12 v battery was bad so they replaced it as well and they did a firmware update. They trucked it to my local SVC and I got it last Wednesday. Last night I was picking up dinner, powered up, drove the several hundred yards out of the mall parking lot and looked down at my instrument cluster to find my odometer to be a zero again. A mile or so later it was back. I called my local SVC this morning and our service manager said I was on his list of people to call because someone from headquarters had seen my post about the resettting odometer and wanted them to contact me. The people at the two SVC I have dealt with have been super. They are nice, friendly, answer questions, but unfortunately they know me all too well. Every time I have to go in, about 8 times now, it’s a little over an hours drive. That’s a lot of hours, time from work, and headaches I don’t need. As of right now I truly do not like or trust my car at all because as we keep going, more and larger problems keep popping up. I have received verbal apologies from headquarters and my local SVC but that doesn’t give me back my time or fix all the stress this car has given me. Sure it’s under warranty but who cares if tesla is paying for it if it’s in the shop all the time? All I want is to be happy with a car that works right, I don’t want to have to go into service all the time, and I want to love my car as much as a lot of other owners do. That’s not too much to ask I don’t think. And I did love the function and features and the one road trip we took in it, before all the problems started. Sorry it was so long but since you asked I didn’t want to leave any details out.

How much time do you have? Here we go...I have a CPO early 16 Model S 70D. Had about 32,000 on it when I got it and had only been taken in by previous owner for standard maintenance. It has 47,000 now. A few weeks after getting it I started having problems with connectivity of the phone and radio (radio would lose the station even with full bars or service, the MCU would reset while driving, the volume would start rising on its own after a call, etc etc etc). Firmware updates and hard factory resets of the MCU time after time after time...nothing worked. After about nine months they decided they needed to replace the connectivity board for both the radio and phone and upgrade it to the 4g lte. That helped most of the issues but after upgrading firmware recently (that’s another story in a minute) it seems to be getting worse again (calls cutting out, radio switching on its own after I park). About six months after I got it I had the passenger side door handle go out. One day later the drivers side door handle went out. Three months later I had a third handle, back door, stop presenting. Somewhere in there I had to take it in another time to have the exploding Takata passenger airbag replaced under recall, which I found out about myself, tesla never contacted me. About three weeks ago I was driving, looked down, and my odometer was a zero...no numbers. After a mile or so, it was back to normal. I forgot to call my SVC to ask about it because I got home and my kids wanted me and I forgot. A week or so later I was on a road trip with my kids about 260 miles from home when, starting to drive back well after dark, I received a warning that said, “car requires service! May not restart!” No way was I getting on the road in a malfunctioning car, after dark, with my young family. Road side confirmed not driving because it could leave us stranded at any time. Spent another night which we weren’t planning on, and had it towed to service on Sunday. They gave me a Kia minivan rental car and we drove home. They got on it and found that before our trip our high voltage battery coolant heater unit was starting to have a voltage issue and that when I supercharged twice on our trip it sent too much electricity into the unit and fried it. They also discovered that my 12 v battery was bad so they replaced it as well and they did a firmware update. They trucked it to my local SVC and I got it last Wednesday. Last night I was picking up dinner, powered up, drove the several hundred yards out of the mall parking lot and looked down at my instrument cluster to find my odometer to be a zero again. A mile or so later it was back. I called my local SVC this morning and our service manager said I was on his list of people to call because someone from headquarters had seen my post about the resettting odometer and wanted them to contact me. The people at the two SVC I have dealt with have been super. They are nice, friendly, answer questions, but unfortunately they know me all too well. Every time I have to go in, about 8 times now, it’s a little over an hours drive. That’s a lot of hours, time from work, and headaches I don’t need. As of right now I truly do not like or trust my car at all because as we keep going, more and larger problems keep popping up. I have received verbal apologies from headquarters and my local SVC but that doesn’t give me back my time or fix all the stress this car has given me. Sure it’s under warranty but who cares if tesla is paying for it if it’s in the shop all the time? All I want is to be happy with a car that works right, I don’t want to have to go into service all the time, and I want to love my car as much as a lot of other owners do. That’s not too much to ask I don’t think. And I did love the function and features and the one road trip we took in it, before all the problems started. Sorry it was so long but since you asked I didn’t want to leave any details out.
Wow. Unbelievable. It seems that people either have NO issues or something is wrong most of the time, it's always something.....That has to put you in a constant state of dread. I had a Mercedes like that one time. I HATED that car. I named it the car from HELL. I used to try to think of ways to literally drive it off a cliff while jumping out right before it went over.....It was a just horrible experience that didn't start out that way, but after the warranty was over, OF COURSE, the issues I had began to multiply to the point that when I finally traded it, I wouldn't even drive it to the new car dealership. I hated it that much. I am seriously concerned and wonder what you're going to do...Are you going to trade and get another Tesla? Surely, SURELY you wouldn't have this experience twice. I don't know what I would do but I do know that after that particular Mercedes (my 2nd,) I never ever, EVER would have another one. NEVER! No desire whatsoever. So I wouldn't blame you a bit if you didn't but I hope you will give it one more try. I am hopeful I will be satisfied with mine and so sorry you have had to deal with this. I will watch your posts from now on and hope your car straightens out. Thanks for the response!

Wow. Unbelievable. It seems that people either have NO issues or something is wrong most of the time, it's always something.....That has to put you in a constant state of dread. I had a Mercedes like that one time. I HATED that car. I named it the car from HELL. I used to try to think of ways to literally drive it off a cliff while jumping out right before it went over.....It was a just horrible experience that didn't start out that way, but after the warranty was over, OF COURSE, the issues I had began to multiply to the point that when I finally traded it, I wouldn't even drive it to the new car dealership. I hated it that much. I am seriously concerned and wonder what you're going to do...Are you going to trade and get another Tesla? Surely, SURELY you wouldn't have this experience twice. I don't know what I would do but I do know that after that particular Mercedes (my 2nd,) I never ever, EVER would have another one. NEVER! No desire whatsoever. So I wouldn't blame you a bit if you didn't but I hope you will give it one more try. I am hopeful I will be satisfied with mine and so sorry you have had to deal with this. I will watch your posts from now on and hope your car straightens out. Thanks for the response!

Absolutely. We learn by sharing information and that’s why I’m on here is to try and find some type of help. I’ve had some really great responses and I’ve had some not so helpful ones but that’s ok. Everyone is different and works through things differently. Honestly...I’m not sure what to do. I just know that I can’t get back the 36 hours or so I’ve spent driving to and from the SVC. I hope you’re one of the lucky ones and have great success. The one thing I fail to understand is how many people have big issues and are willing to go back. Someone on here has had their drive unit (the tranny in an ICE) replaced three times and they only have 127,000 miles...And they are excited to buy another one. If my tranny went out three times I’d never return. Because I’ve had problems with cars in the past I can’t stand mediocrity for reliability. I did write Elon a four page letter detailing all my problems and how horribly disgusted I am with the car. I’m sure nothing will come out of it but It made me feel minimally better. Safe travels. I’ll be watching to see if you have any issues...fingers crossed.

I had the easy entry activate on an LA freeway. The main screen had just locked up, freezing navigation, then the easy entry kicked in. I was able to drive with no screen for a bit, then did a hard reset. Tesla told me it was a firmware issue and sent me an update. So far, so good.

I had the easy entry activate on an LA freeway. The main screen had just locked up, freezing navigation, then the easy entry kicked in. I was able to drive with no screen for a bit, then did a hard reset. Tesla told me it was a firmware issue and sent me an update. So far, so good.

Today I was driving on a UK highway at 60mph when the driver profile changed to Easy Entry. I found it quite disconcerting. I am waiting to hear from Tesla.

Absolutely. We learn by sharing information and that’s why I’m on here is to try and find some type of help. I’ve had some really great responses and I’ve had some not so helpful ones but that’s ok. Everyone is different and works through things differently. Honestly...I’m not sure what to do. I just know that I can’t get back the 36 hours or so I’ve spent driving to and from the SVC. I hope you’re one of the lucky ones and have great success. The one thing I fail to understand is how many people have big issues and are willing to go back. Someone on here has had their drive unit (the tranny in an ICE) replaced three times and they only have 127,000 miles...And they are excited to buy another one. If my tranny went out three times I’d never return. Because I’ve had problems with cars in the past I can’t stand mediocrity for reliability. I did write Elon a four page letter detailing all my problems and how horribly disgusted I am with the car. I’m sure nothing will come out of it but It made me feel minimally better. Safe travels. I’ll be watching to see if you have any issues...fingers crossed.

Yea, the reliability really drags an otherwise great car down...

I had a couple of smaller issues, like door handles needing replacement, or the 3G not working properly. But nothing major, like a DU failure, yet. I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty, though. In general the car is great and I'd say your experience is way worse, than average. I guess many people go back, because it's a great car and once you get used to an EV, you don't want to go back to an ICEV.

Maybe Tesla will eventually fix their reliability issues or rather deliver more consistent quality, since there are some cars that do well, which others are a total mess. Other than that, maybe you could wait for the iPace, or something, if you really don't trust Tesla anymore. Because going back to a petrol car really isn't worth it.

Reactions: Hornedfrog1
Yea, the reliability really drags an otherwise great car down...

I had a couple of smaller issues, like door handles needing replacement, or the 3G not working properly. But nothing major, like a DU failure, yet. I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty, though. In general the car is great and I'd say your experience is way worse, than average. I guess many people go back, because it's a great car and once you get used to an EV, you don't want to go back to an ICEV.

Maybe Tesla will eventually fix their reliability issues or rather deliver more consistent quality, since there are some cars that do well, which others are a total mess. Other than that, maybe you could wait for the iPace, or something, if you really don't trust Tesla anymore. Because going back to a petrol car really isn't worth it.

Yes...I am thinking about options including other vehicles. I wrote a letter to Elon telling him how unhappy I am and I got an email from headquarters saying they understood that I have lost faith in my car and that no one should feel bad for writing and complaining about their car and expressing how displeased they are. They said they WANT to know because that’s the only way Headquarters will know if they are not doing things right. They also wanted to know what would give me the best closure on this situation.

So I implore everyone, please write Headquarters when you have a problem. Stop accepting mediocre quality as the status quo. Tell them about your problems and how you are disappointed. If people don’t, then Tesla will not know there are lots of problems and they will just figure that the mediocre quality they are building is acceptable. Just because a car is new and cool doesn’t mean you shouldn’t complain or accept anything less than the best. Advocate for yourselves.