Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy fix? [to this damaged car at auction]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a 2021 Tesla model 3 from auction. Found one cheap with front end damage. Would this be an easy fix?

Attachments

• 7070C28E-66A9-440A-87FE-2AAD9C0CDF40.jpeg
    7070C28E-66A9-440A-87FE-2AAD9C0CDF40.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 189
  • DFD7A50D-D348-461F-B32A-469390E581CE.jpeg
    DFD7A50D-D348-461F-B32A-469390E581CE.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 139
  • FBC5A2F2-D7B3-47C5-8D29-D5DDC07242FD.jpeg
    FBC5A2F2-D7B3-47C5-8D29-D5DDC07242FD.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 139
Another all-too-common first time poster with a (is it totaled or is it easy to fix thread) but hey, I'll bite.

Sure, my fellow Penguins fan, that will 'buff right out'. SCs will likely consider this, as-is, within spec or better than factory panel gap norms.

It could however be a tip of the iceberg waiting further back (front suspension, frame damage, drivetrain damage, battery housing damage, etc).

That horrendous tint and the residue it leaves behind will be very difficult to remove though, especially off the front windshield.

• Funny
Reactions: cmy4x4 and rpiotro
Another all-too-common first time poster with a (is it totaled or is it easy to fix thread) but hey, I'll bite.

Sure, my fellow Penguins fan, that will 'buff right out'. SCs will likely consider this, as-is, within spec or better than factory panel gap norms.

It could however be a tip of the iceberg waiting further back (front suspension, frame damage, drivetrain damage, battery housing damage, etc).

That horrendous tint and the residue it leaves behind will be very difficult to remove though, especially off the front windshield.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I'm no pro, but why would it be at auction unless it was declared totalled?

Might a *really* long wait for repair parts cause an insurance company to total it instead of repair?

In some cases I might be risk averse, in others not so much. In this case, I just can't see feeling okay with this decision. That's just me. I have a hard time imaging numbers that will make this a good deal.

Like... will you get it for like $5k? I've seen enough accident threads with body shop pricing to know that the damage shown in those photos can quickly add up to half the retail price of the vehicle.

If I picked this car up at auction and had it repaired, and all in saved $5k over retail, I wouldn't feel great about that. It'd have to be significantly cheaper, and enough posts have taught me that they're prohibitively expensive to repair.

Now if you are an expert at auto-body repair and you'll do the work yourself, perhaps that's an entirely different story. Be prepared to replace all of the HVAC components, perhaps even the front drive unit. Could be frame damage, suspension, definitely needs expensive body work.

I don't want to rain on your parade or sound like a debbie downer... but my guess is that if none of that scares you, then everything I've said doesn't matter anyways. However if you're just looking to own a Tesla and think this is a cheaper way, I suspect this may end up being a very expensive lesson.

Reactions: chobra and rpiotro
I've never had the front end of a Model 3 apart, but it looks like that's a new bumper cover and reinforcement, radiator, active air vents for the radiator and some minor repairs on the hood. One problem is that as just some guy you can't go and buy those parts(and anything else that's needed). You also can be pretty sure that car's been deemed salvage and won't be allowed to supercharge without a lot of groveling.

If its cheap, its worth it. I wouldn't buy it for more than the cost of the major undamaged parts(battery and drive units)

I've never had the front end of a Model 3 apart, but it looks like that's a new bumper cover and reinforcement, radiator, active air vents for the radiator and some minor repairs on the hood. One problem is that as just some guy you can't go and buy those parts(and anything else that's needed). You also can be pretty sure that car's been deemed salvage and won't be allowed to supercharge without a lot of groveling.

If its cheap, its worth it. I wouldn't buy it for more than the cost of the major undamaged parts(battery and drive units)
Looking at how muddy the lot is, another thing to consider is if there was any flood damage. That will be a major blow as you can't even assume the battery is good (plus there might other hidden water damage in interior).

Reactions: Sophias_dad
@hartzog11
Buying at auction is a gamble in a few ways. First one being the vehicle. Second being the seller. If you are still inclined to try buying it be aware of the following:

Vehicle: Ideally see the vehicle in person with someone trust that is experienced with repairing cars. With lightly hit vehicles there is a chance of undercarriage damages as mentioned above. Keep in mind that the structural pieces in a tesla are arranged differently than a common ICE vehicle.

Seller: Check who the seller is. If it is an insurance company its less dicey. If the auction site does not specify the seller, type the VIN# into google or a site like bidfax.info to see if the vehicle sold on an auction previously.

Reactions: evrepair
Looks fine to me. Assuming it drives fine with no on-screen errors it'll need about $2K in junkyard/eBay parts plus another $1K in paint. In addition to the bumper and crash beam, you'll likely need one or two fenders, a hood, and one or two of the newer style "matrix" headlights. Everything but the headlights can be sourced from any year donor.

But figure on $15K-$20K if you just plan to take it right to a body shop and have them do all the work.

I wonder what caused the previous owner to crash straight into something like that?

Looks fine to me. Assuming it drives fine with no on-screen errors it'll need about $2K in junkyard/eBay parts plus another $1K in paint. In addition to the bumper and crash beam, you'll likely need one or two fenders, a hood, and one or two of the newer style "matrix" headlights. Everything but the headlights can be sourced from any year donor.

But figure on $15K-$20K if you just plan to take it right to a body shop and have them do all the work.
I agree. As long as there is no battery damage it shouldn’t cost more than 2k. Even less if you can repair the fenders + bumper and paint the car yourself (I recommend getting paint matched rattle cans and sanding between base coat and clear coat)

Experience. I bought an M3 Long Long Range from the auction Jan 23, 2024.
Replaced:
RF Lower Control Arms
Front bumper
Front Bumper Skid Plate
Front Subframe Skid Plate
Parking Sensor Harness
2 Parking sensors
RF Turn Signal/ fog light
Ankle Catcher
Front tires
Right Front Fender Liner
Sway bar, brackets and links
Front Subframe (studs to sway bar mount were broken)
Left Tie rod end
Windshield
Passenger Front Door Glass
Misc bolts/nuts

Repaired:
Right front wheel
Glove Box Pawl

Total $3,000

I agree. As long as there is no battery damage it shouldn’t cost more than 2k. Even less if you can repair the fenders + bumper and paint the car yourself (I recommend getting paint matched rattle cans and sanding between base coat and clear coat)

Experience. I bought an M3 Long Long Range from the auction Jan 23, 2024.
Replaced:
RF Lower Control Arms
Front bumper
Front Bumper Skid Plate
Front Subframe Skid Plate
Parking Sensor Harness
2 Parking sensors
RF Turn Signal/ fog light
Ankle Catcher
Front tires
Right Front Fender Liner
Sway bar, brackets and links
Front Subframe (studs to sway bar mount were broken)
Left Tie rod end
Windshield
Passenger Front Door Glass
Misc bolts/nuts

Repaired:
Right front wheel
Glove Box Pawl

Total $3,000
You are lucky. Unfortunately, these scenarios often end in heartbreak and an empty wallet.