TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Easy homemade UMC cable holder

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by brucet999, Nov 30, 2015.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

#1 brucet999, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    I'm using the UMC at home, plugged into a 30A dryer outlet. Rather than unplug , coil up and put the UMC away in the trunk after each charge, I decided to leave it plugged in and hanging on the wall. It took less than an hour to cut out wood pieces and then glue and screw them together for a handy and secure wall hanger that doesn't bend the cable too much.

UMC hanger1.JPG UMC hanger2.JPG UMC hanger3.JPG

I used 1/2" plywood for the 12" x 16" backboard and 8" diameter circular face. I cut 12 stand-offs 2 1/2" using 1x2 lumber.
    I drew pencil lines on the 8" diameter face dividing it into 8 segments. Then I glued and screwed 8 stand-offs around the circumference. Next, I added 4 more stand-offs in the spaces between in the upper half to provide good support for the cable.
    Next, I mounted the assembly to the backboard, gluing and screwing it together from the back side of the backboard.
    Finally, I added two 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" retainer tabs using one screw as a pivot to allow them to be swiveled out of the way when removing the cable from the hanger. A small screw on each side and one in the middle serve as a bumpers.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Extremely well built. I don't think you're going to have a problem with it ever coming off / breaking. :)

3. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Nice job. How are you supporting the heft of the UMC body so that its weight does not stress the cord and plug?

4. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

My outlet is about 8" above the floor directly below the hanger, so the cord runs straight up and over the hanger leaving the body supported in-line without stress.