Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easy Manual Locking Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can choose to have my Model 3 always lock or never lock when I leave. I’d prefer to have it remain unlocked in our garage and locked on the street. I realize I can set it to auto-lock and pull out my phone or fish in my wallet for the card to lock it each time, but I miss having a simple lock button on the door. Then it occurred to me that there IS a button on the door! Can the two front door-open buttons be re-programmed to open the door when it is closed (its sole task now) and to lock all doors when the door is open? I’d then set the auto-lock feature off and have a very easy way to lock the doors when I park it on the street.

I can choose to have my Model 3 always lock or never lock when I leave. I’d prefer to have it remain unlocked in our garage and locked on the street. I realize I can set it to auto-lock and pull out my phone or fish in my wallet for the card to lock it each time, but I miss having a simple lock button on the door. Then it occurred to me that there IS a button on the door! Can the two front door-open buttons be re-programmed to open the door when it is closed (its sole task now) and to lock all doors when the door is open? I’d then set the auto-lock feature off and have a very easy way to lock the doors when I park it on the street.

I don't think tha'ts a good idea - what if someone accidentally presses it without realizing and ends up locking themselves out.

Where is the button? I place my thumb on the wide section of the handle to lever it outwards but wasn’t aware there was a button of any sort.