Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of dust on production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cleaned small spot on one the two panels to show its 5 day accumulation.
20210419_084855.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
i have a stand off that is like the Louisville stabilizer @charlesj posted, but the Werner version WERNER Quick-Click Ladder Stabilizer-AC78 - The Home Depot

Another option is the Levelok stabilizers (the tesla installers that installed our solar roof used these) Ladder Stabilizer Standoff Brackets Silicone Elbows | Levelok

my solar roof is caked in pollen since it hasn't rained in norcal in the last month. spent some time over the weekend powerwashing the active tiles that I could reach with the powerwasher but realized that I should probably just powerwash the entire roof otherwise it'll look odd with only parts of the roof cleaned

• Informative
Reactions: trautmane2
May want to consider a ladder standoff like this? I have one and is great. Saves gutters too.
Thanks for mentioning these, I didn't know such a thing existed.

Considering ordering one, but question ... can you rest the stabilizer on the roof (e.g. on top of the shingles) or not? Half the customer comments say or show you can, and half say it's not designed for that. I have 3 1/2 ft deep eaves, so there's no way I could lean it against the wall to reach the roof. And other comments say you need 4 rungs above the stabilizer to step off/onto the roof safely.

Thanks for mentioning these, I didn't know such a thing existed.

Considering ordering one, but question ... can you rest the stabilizer on the roof (e.g. on top of the shingles) or not? Half the customer comments say or show you can, and half say it's not designed for that. I have 3 1/2 ft deep eaves, so there's no way I could lean it against the wall to reach the roof. And other comments say you need 4 rungs above the stabilizer to step off/onto the roof safely.
I have flat concrete tiles, not the mission type and It works great for me, right over the gutter on the 1st bottom row. This way I can carry a bucket of water straight up and over the top rung. I place it about 4"-6" from the top of the extension part so there is not a lot of ladder rung on the roof, and not side stepping. I won't be home for a while so I cannot post a picture of it in use but the on line picture is good.
I don't attach the standoff right above that first rung as in the Amazon picture, do it half way.

The other version mentioned here is cumbersome to me and it would be hard to walk over it to the roof. I am able to carry a folding aluminum ladder on my shoulder, an older version of those that fold in different direction and such, to the roof so I can get up to the 2nd story where the panels are. I straddle the ridge with this and hop up. My garage ridge is about 4 ft under 2nd story so it is easy to get up there.

Last edited:
What app is this? Does it come with Tesla ?

Screen shot directly from the solar edge app. I don't even have the zigbee hooked up since I have teslas TEG which gets it's solar production directly from that for the tesla app. My SE inverter is wired directly to ethernet which goes directly to SE although that's not required to get panel level production.

It IS required if you want 5 minute granularity through SEs REST API.

Reactions: tfan2018
I'm going to pick another panel and start a grid of various nano coatings. Even if I find one that significantly slows dust collection or lowers peak dust levels, I'll still need to test a candidate on a full panel to make sure, that even though transparent, doesn't lower production by cutting out some non visible wavelength that contributes to energy production.

...although before I do even that, I guess I should make sure there isn't some existing factory coating that could be ruined.

Apparently I'm already at dust equilibrium. I cleaned one of those two panels last night. The array is now 2.8% less production than the 1 week clean panel and 4.07% less than the panel I cleaned last night.

So it appears that it's about 4% if you do nothing. Obviously that could change dramatically with ash from fires and such.

Apparently I'm already at dust equilibrium. I cleaned one of those two panels last night. The array is now 2.8% less production than the 1 week clean panel and 4.07% less than the panel I cleaned last night.

So it appears that it's about 4% if you do nothing. Obviously that could change dramatically with ash from fires and such.

I installed an automatic device that adjusts for production lost due to dirty panels. Pretty cheap. I call it 'adding 5% more panels' :D

• Funny
Reactions: All In
My panels were getting somewhat dusty but not excessively. I wanted to see what the maximum production was during this time of the year with no clouds. I gave them all a wash with soft water and one set got a treatment with one of those water impregnated telescoping brushes. The increase was just over 4% in total which seems to confirm with others posting here.

Based on this I will monitor the panels over the summer but fully expect I will need to clean them about every 2 months. So again the first of August and once more in the first of October, minus a miracle rain storm.

It's been a month again since washing the panels. This time the difference is about 8% which is quite a bit more than the previous wait-a-month. The dust is thicker this time. I think the previous test had enough condensation at night that rolled off each day partly cleaning the panels. Over the last month, there's been no condensation at all with 100F+ temps every day. Previously, you could see the drip trails from condensation critical mass. Not it's just even thick dust.

In theory, the 6.3 kw peak that I'm getting should be 6.8 kw peak if I clean all the panels.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 9.10.36 PM.png

I went 3 months without cleaning.

i-Xf55B4s-X2[1].jpg

Then I cleaned 1 panel and waited a week:

i-D5Wpgxm-XL[1].jpg

Production (keeping in mind the first shot before cleaning the one panel:

i-NZCnzVW-X2[1].jpg

The difference is 13%....which is a lot. I have 13 kw now which is more than I need until I finish the heat pump conversions, but after that, I'm going to need to go back to monthly cleanings at least.

Our air quality in Merced this summer has been amazing. We've been lucky and not had any ash from forest fires in the air. Purple air has basically been in the low teens every single day.

The difference is 13%....which is a lot. I have 13 kw now which is more than I need until I finish the heat pump conversions, but after that, I'm going to need to go back to monthly cleanings at least.

Our air quality in Merced this summer has been amazing. We've been lucky and not had any ash from forest fires in the air. Purple air has basically been in the low teens every single day.
Was this experiment from last years fire season or this year, with limited fire ash?