Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effectiveness of cooling in the boot/trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mullermn

Adapting to life without USS one hour at a time
Jun 25, 2022
Uk
Is anyone aware of any tests being done about how effective the AC is in the trunk of the Y?

As far as I’m aware there are no vents there and I’m curious how quickly the car is able to cool it down and how closely the set temperature in the front seats is maintained back there.

I have a suspicion that it’s going to be some degrees warmer back where the dog is than where the passenger sits, and I may need to take this in to account with my set temperatures or when we’re getting in to the car when it’s hot.

Is anyone aware of any tests being done about how effective the AC is in the trunk of the Y?

As far as I’m aware there are no vents there and I’m curious how quickly the car is able to cool it down and how closely the set temperature in the front seats is maintained back there.

I have a suspicion that it’s going to be some degrees warmer back where the dog is than where the passenger sits, and I may need to take this in to account with my set temperatures or when we’re getting in to the car when it’s hot.

I am considering getting the MY 7 seat but I am also concern about the lack or air vents on the third row,
somethink that the MX includes for about the same option cost than the MY.

Last edited:
I would get a battery or usb clip fan that could be mounted near the back of the 2nd row to provide some airflow to the cargo area.

Also, even though the hatch glass is darkened, it lets in more heat than the roof glass. I've found items can get warm under the hatch glass - that could be one part lack of airflow but another part less heat rejection. Not sure if you've added tint to the rear hatch or could find a mesh shade that allows some rear visibility.

Reactions: Mullermn
Maybe side tracking from the original subject, but I found those interesting articles:

I can’t imagine it’s horrendously different cabin temperatures. It might be a 5 degree difference but that should be ok for a dog. I grew up in a 1990 mini van with three rows and ac only in the front and we survive lol.
Fair point. This is my first dog since I was a teenager (now 42) and I can’t believe how fragile dogs have got in the mean time!

You’re not supposed to play fetch too much, they shouldn’t chase sticks, most human food seems to be considered toxic, they’re not supposed to go up stairs if possible.. the list goes on.

Reactions: wtlloyd