Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency claim of the Dual Drive Train

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it seems that a similar efficiency gain could be achieved with one motor if it had a shiftable transmission with two gears. Tesla tried that in the original roadster, but had breakage problems and decided to simplify at some point. Perhaps that should be reconsidered.

Yes but adding a two speed transmission would totally destroy one of the most important features of the car - its unbelievably low latency super-responsive slingshot-overtake-enabling drivetrain.

I assumed that range is different because the P85D has different motors?!!?

Yes, that was my point - the extra weight of the P85D's bigger rear motor is a disadvantage for range. Not clear if the front motor actually is different, or the extra power for the front motor is just a case of pushing the same motor a bit harder (as it has been up to now with the old P85 vs. S85). If it is indeed a bigger front motor too, then that's more weight again and possibly different efficiency.

It looks like both the P85D and 85D advertise 155MPH top speed. (I wonder how long they can maintain that speed though.)

I had missed that. So there probably isn't a difference in gearing for the front motor.

What is "S85D" ?

People used to say 'S85" and "P85" for the old models, and I assumed the shorthand for the new models would become S85D and P85D. Am I wrong?

I suspect the only way we are truly going to answer this question is when a UK ex P85+ owner buys a P85D and uses it for their commuter run. We will then get a real world opinion instead of conjecture.

I am interested in the question of what people consider to be the "right" amount of range. All Model S cars achieve reasonable range, the 85s getting quite close to prestige petrol ICE cars. The only difference between ICE and electric is the availability of efficient charging stations when you run out.

I am interested in the question of what people consider to be the "right" amount of range. All Model S cars achieve reasonable range, the 85s getting quite close to prestige petrol ICE cars. The only difference between ICE and electric is the availability of efficient charging stations when you run out.

Very true.

The big problem for long distance trips for me has been lack of destination charge. All of my trips have been within the battery range each way, with a stay of 8hrs+ (i.e. overnight or a full working day), before returning home. Unfortunately I've not had luck in finding suitable charging whilst my car has sat there doing nothing.

The 85 increases the returnable radius, but it still wouldn't have quite covered the total journey and I'd have to detour to find an SC / Ecotricity (I'm in Nottingham, so London and back is 300 miles). In a diesel car I'd be able to do both legs.

Saying that if there was more destination charging where you can leave the car whilst you get on with something productive, the Tesla would have been MORE convenient than the diesel, even in a 60.

I'm putting in a 22kW unit at work, so at least if any of our visitors will see we are doing our bit. Hopefully there's enough take up of Tesla's and other EV's that this becomes much more prevalent amongst business owners.

Update to my original post; where most users would seem to have disagreed with me for various reasons.

Feb 4 2015

"But the EPA confirmed to me that Tesla has used 100-percent battery SOC for all its EPA range testing, including the most recent tests.

JB Straubel, Tesla's chief technology officer, has since clarified the Tesla range issue, confirming that the P85D does indeed have less range than the P85 under the same EPA protocol."

Above quote has been taken from :-

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...consistent-confusing-for-electric-cars/page-3