Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EVHIP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is shut out because "incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 or more" and the S75D starts at CDN$96,650. When the Model 3 becomes available in Canada, rebates should be available for it. I would argue that not holding hydrogen vehicles to the same $75K limit is unfair. Also, having incentives for PHEVs (disclosure: I'm a Volt driver currently) that are the same as for BEVs seems wrong to me. The fact that a Pacifica or Volt gets a higher rebate than a BMW i3 or Smart fortwo doesn't seem right to me. PHEV owners could simply take the $14K rebate and never, ever plug their vehicles in. Nice rebate for what could amount to an ICE vehicle.

Tesla is shut out because "incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 or more" and the S75D starts at CDN$96,650.

Correct. When the incentive first came out, it was $8,500 pretty much across the board. Then they revamped it and raised the maximum but capped cars costing above $75k to a $3,000 incentive. Then they reversed that decision and raised the cap to $150,000 allowing Teslas to get the full incentive. Now they've gone back to the $75k cap but reduced the incentive right down to zero.

Interesting that the program now covers hydrogen cars with no purchase price cap (only BEV and PHEV have the cap).

The incentives for the handful of relatively long range PHEVs like the Volt don't bother me as much, but it's perverse the way luxury PHEVs with less than 30 km range are favored by their system.
A $74,999 base +15k in options BMW with 23 km AER gets a $7,000 rebate, but a $96,000 Tesla nothing?

I agree that exemption for hydrogen is ridiculous, but they want to keep Toyota happy. Ditto for Chrysler, so no surprise that the Pacifica hybrid is still eligible for the full $14,000 off.

There are no actual vehicles qualifying for a rebate at this time, so it may not cost them anything. I suspect it's optics, so they're not seen as trying to pick a winning technology.

No doubt. Toyota, a proponent of Hydrogen, is a large Ontario employer with their Cambridge and Woodstock assembly plants. I am sure there is some placating going on here.

There are no actual vehicles qualifying for a rebate at this time...

The Québec government has taken delivery of the first of 50 Mirais and in combination with Ottawa will be paying for hydrogen stations. Just wish Ontario doesn't go down this route as well. An investigative report by TVA revealed close ties between hydrogen lobbyists and the (currently in power) Quebec liberal party. When questioned about this hydrogen kick, a Minister's excuse was that Toyota will be paying the government's hydrogen for three years. What a deal, you pay at least two million in construction costs to get fuel for three years.

Actually, I find the way they set the rebate amount by AER and number of seats to be pretty sensible.

5 seat BEV = $14,000
7 seat, long range PHEV = $14,000 (Pacifica)
5 seat, long range PHEV = $13,000 (Volt / Clarity PHEV)
2 seat & 4 seat BEV = $12,000 (i3 / Smart)
7 seat, short range PHEV = $10,000 (Volvo XC-90)
5 seat, short range PHEV = $7,000 (Audi / BMW / Ford / Kia / Merc / Volvo)
4 seat, short range PHEV = $5,000 (Prius Plug-In)

Actually, I find the way they set the rebate amount by AER and number of seats to be pretty sensible.

7 seat, long range PHEV = $14,000 (Pacifica)
4 seat, short range PHEV = $5,000 (Prius Plug-In)

53 km barely classifies as long range compared to the 40km on Prius, which otherwise is much more energy efficient when running in hybrid mode (4.3l for Prius vs 7.4l/100km for Pacifica).

It's a bit ironic that 10km lower range and the lack of the extra seat cost the Prime over $9k in rebate.