Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"News" from the "Mission" front: Mark Seeger has confirmed again that he is still dedicated to bringing out the Mission RS and R elecric motorcycles.

He did say one thing, though. He said the primary focus of Mission Electric is to produce the Mission R and RS, and to bring it to market. The other stuff is important, but that’s the baby that’s not going to get thrown out with any bathwater, as long as he has something to say about it.
He promised.

A Motorcycle Called Mission: The Continuing Saga

So they have beaten Mission. 38,000$ is a steal compared to what you would have to pay for similar performance in a car, be it electric or ICE. I recall an interview with Mission boss Mark Seeger in which he said that he had been offered up to 250,000 dollar for the Mission prototype ...

I bet there will be lot more than 200 prospective buyers once one of the larger motorcycle mags gets their hands on one for a test and makes them known to a wider public. Lightning is likely even less well known among bike fans than Tesla was among car fans in 2011.

the Mission still looks a lot better, though ... I do wish they would hurry up with production.

It turns out that the designers had to hold back to keep buyers of regular gas motorcycles from being spooked. ....... veteran motorcycle designer Glynn Kerr, who created the look of the LS-218, says there were certain considerations to keep people who buy motorcycles from taking one look at it and running for the hills.

I ma curious what the bike would have looked like if they hadn't have to "hold back". As long as it doesn't turn out like the Saietta ...

Yep, they have beaten Mission and will be getting a lot of press for good or ill. I'm still holding out for my Mission R though I'm disappointed I'm not riding it now. I'm not a fan of DC motors. And they're only going to actually sell 5 and let them run around in the wild for awhile to see what kinds of problems crop up before they build any more. The Lightning is still very much a science experiment. I'm not saying that Mission isn't, just a natural evolution of a new company/product. There's a reason there are no Roadster 1.0's - they were all recalled and "upgraded" to 1.5's.

Though I should go over there and sit on one. The prototype I sat on a few years ago had an incredibly long reach from the seat to the bars. I would if they changed the packaging for the production version.

Last edited:
I rode the Harley-Davidson Livewire on the last stop of its U.S. tour and wrote about the experience and whether they might make an electric for customers.

Harley-Davidson-projectlivewire-13a-sm.jpg

Wow, that looks much more like a production bike.
They are now taking deposits (just like Mission did).

The one bummer that comes to mind is how these bikes must be marketed. Like Model S, I would think the ideal street bike would have insane power and controllability but be limited to some reasonable speed. Doing this keeps from having to design a complete system capable of very high power for extended periods of time. Doing so compromises capacity, longevity and use'ability all for a part of the performance envelope you rarely visit. Yet, without doing so, it would be difficult to get the community to accept the Lightening as a real sport bike. I literally spent less than a 1/10th of a precent of the miles on my S1000RR over 120 mph yet the bike had to be able to go 200 mph or it would not have been a real super bike.

I hope they do a street version that more mirrors the P85D while still keeping the all out high speed version for track minded riders.

Last edited:
"[Tesla have] opened up their patents, but … there's nothing in their patent that'll tell us what the charging algorithm is [to communicate between the bike and the charging station]. We could take one of their plugs and reverse engineer it, but that doesn't necessarily give us the right to use their supercharging network. So our top priority is to convince Tesla to share their supercharger network with us, and even build it out with public money. That more than anything else will help bridge that last gap."
C'mon Tesla, take your $2k for SC access I bet people paying $38k wont raise a brow at paying another $2k.
Good PR is a good PR :)

I do not believe it is access that is the issue. If I were Tesla, I would need to know (by my own internal testing) that whatever I allow to plug into my DC infrastructure is as safe or more so then my own product. Tesla simply can not afford to have something catch on fire at one of their SC locations for any reason. You saw what happened the last time there were a couple of fires within a short period of time.

Seems as if a supercharger is a waste with such a small pack. I don't know what they are using for cell chemistry but it can't be NCA if they think it can do a 10 minute charge, and I can see why Tesla might not be comfortable supercharging a different battery chemistry without extensive testing. Still, I'd like to see it happen.