Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ZERO is also lowering the price of every bike in their whole range by $1,350, effective as of now:

Zero Motorcycles Slashes MSRP By $1,350 Across 15 Model Line

Apparently they are now selling so many bikes that they can get better prices from their suppliers.

This is awesome! That means I'm a $1350 bucks closer to being able to own one :D (I just recently got my motorcycle license and bought a gas bike to learn on)

Kinda bummed out at how the motorcycle dealership I went to handled talking about the Zero tho. The guy knew nothing about the bike, sounded kind of derisive about it, and they only had one FX (dirt bike) on display. They didn't even have an S or SR for me to look at or to entice customers! They had a couple of posters hanging in the store but I noticed they were from 2013 :/

Reminds me of the reasons Tesla decided not to use dealerships. Glad Zero seems to be doing well despite what I witnessed tho.

My first delivery promise was early last summer. When it got close, I contacted them and asked them about payment. I was pushed to late last summer. Late last summer they pushed everyone to early this summer. I got off the merry go round at that point (cost me as they would not refund my full deposit as originally stated... they pointed to fine print in the agreement allowing them to keep part of my deposit even when they fail to do their part) so I have no idea if they have pushed the latest promise date. However, I have a good guess :)

My first delivery promise was early last summer. When it got close, I contacted them and asked them about payment. I was pushed to late last summer. Late last summer they pushed everyone to early this summer. I got off the merry go round at that point (cost me as they would not refund my full deposit as originally stated... they pointed to fine print in the agreement allowing them to keep part of my deposit even when they fail to do their part) so I have no idea if they have pushed the latest promise date. However, I have a good guess :)
I think emc was talking about Lit motors and not Mission. But there has been no communication from Mission. So last Fall's statement of "Summer 2016" still holds but would have expected some noise ramping up towards first customer deliveries. One of these days I'll try to drive by their office to at least see if there are people there :p

I think emc was talking about Lit motors and not Mission. But there has been no communication from Mission. So last Fall's statement of "Summer 2016" still holds but would have expected some noise ramping up towards first customer deliveries. One of these days I'll try to drive by their office to at least see if there are people there :p

If that whole thing is a scam it was very well done! I remember them coming off as very serious, optimistic yet realistical expectations and a very good presentation design wise, the website etc.

Not to pimp myself... well, OK, I'm pimping myself, but I wanted to get this out there. :D

I just started a book project: Power in Flux- The History of Electric Motorcycles. (Just to keep on-topic, yes, the rise and demise of Mission will be included... ;) ) Here's the outline, which is subject to change:

Chapters:

The Timelines:

• Battery development • Brand development • Community/forums • Racing

The Pre-history
– makes and models, tests and development:

• The Age of Lead • 1900 to 1950 • the late 20th century • The Dawn of Lithium • The 2000s

Battery and Supporting Tech Development:

• A Short History of Lithium Battery Research • The BMS • The Motor and Controller Equation

The People (notable cast and characters of the 2002-present period):

• Mike Corbin • Michael Czysz • Terry Hershner • Chip Yates • Craig Bramscher • Livia Cevolini • Jeff Disinger • Carl Vogel • Shawn Lawless • Luke Workman • Azhar Hussain • Cedric Lynch • Neal Saiki • Brian Richardson • Bill Dube and Eva Håkansson • Craig Vetter •Richard Hatfield

The Student Teams:
Ohio State • Purdue • Virginia Tech • Kingston University (others)

The Australians - A continent in flux:

• Danny Ripperton • The Voltron • Racing

Europe and the UK

The Communities:

Endless Sphere (and the e-bike crossover) • Elmoto • ElectricMotorcycleForum • V is for Voltage • DIY Electric Car • Brammo Owners Forum

Racing:

• The Early Years (Team Bettimoto and the EVN CUP) • The Isle of Man • TTXGP • FIM • eMotoRacing • MotoE • eFXC • Land Speed Racing • Drag Racing

The Brands:

• Zero • Brammo • Energica • Harley Davidson • Electric Motorsport • Agility Saietta • Quantya • KTM • Mission Motors • BRD • Vectrix • Electric Moto • ELMOTO • MotoCzysz • Oset • Roehr • Bell • Lito • Sarolea • Lightning • Amorak (others)

World's Firsts, Records and Feats:

Mike Corbin • The NEDRA • KillaCycle • Chip Yates • Shawn Lawless • Lightning • Mission • Nathan Abbott • Terry Hershner • Team MotoElectra • Pikes Peak • Charlie MacArthur (more)

The Medicine Show
: Snake Oil, Magic Batteries and Perpetual Motion - the PT Barnum Effect.

The Future of Electric Motorcycle -
Overtaking a century of carbon-fuel development: Mainstream Manufacturers • Emerging Brands • Custom Builders

I've also put a Kickstarter project together to help fund it. You can see that here: Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles by Ted Dillard Kickstarter

It's actually been kind of amazing - we hit 25% backing in 24 hours. We're currently just shy of 60%.

If that whole thing is a scam it was very well done! I remember them coming off as very serious, optimistic yet realistical expectations and a very good presentation design wise, the website etc.
I don't think it was/is a scam. I think the company members truly believe(d) they could bring this bike to market. And while we can try and second-guess their decision, companies fail all the time for all kinds of reasons. My guess is that at this point they're trying to secure more funding and/or sell the company so it can continue. We also don't even know if there's a viable market for e-bikes at this price point. No one has actually sold any at this point never mind the quantities required to sustain a business. I have no desire to go backwards performance-wise from my ICE (ie no Zero's for me) so I'll keep watching and waiting to see what happens. Tesla was inches away from bankruptcy a few times and pulled it out. Let's hoping Mission can do the same.

It was/is clearly not a scam. I put together a series of stories on InsideEVs on Mission, but probably the best place to start is here: Mission Motorcycles Becomes Mission Electric - Boats Cars to Come- Mission R/RS Delayed

Also this: A Motorcycle Called Mission: The Continuing Saga

It was, painted in the best way, an extremely ambitious bid to bring a remarkable product to market. In my conversations with Mark, he is enthusiastic and optimistic, and has, or had, a vision to do what Mission Motors was unable to accomplish. His repeated claim was that he thought this was an amazing bike, and wanted one for himself, and the way that was going to happen was if he bought the company. The last year's worth of, well, spin, was, pretty much, a last-ditch effort to wring some funding out of investors. Finally, in the last few months, it looks like he had to fold up the tent.

I think it's easy to interpret this story in a lot of different ways, especially since he did take deposits without a real ability to deliver the product, but having spoken to the man, I sincerely believe he had the best intentions. ...and certainly a remarkable bike.

As for their current status, I've been told they've vacated the building by a friend who works at Tesla and goes by that neighborhood. I've also been told there are several guys working at Tesla who are ex-Mission employees. The Facebook page is down, as is their main website: Time to Kiss Mission Motorcycles Goodbye?

I too found Mark charming and passionate about his mission (pun intended). I also found an inability to stay focused on a particular task. Our conversations started off with Mission being the premier provider of high end electric sport bikes. Mark would often compare he and his company to Tesla. The next time I talked with him, the conversation was mostly about Mission becoming the Honda of electric power replacing everything from utility ICE through outboard engines. This inability to focus on a specific task/goal in addition to a complete inability to take responsibility for unkept promises led me to believe he was in way over his head.

I would interpret the story as the attempt by a well intentioned guy to reach for the sky without the necessary skills to achieve the goal. It does not feel like an intentional scam; perhaps unintentional reduction of other's capital might be the best light to shine on it.

Just out of curiosity, did everyone get (most of) their deposit back? I ask because I had to fight to get most of mine back and that was many many months back.

Just out of curiosity, did everyone get (most of) their deposit back? I ask because I had to fight to get most of mine back and that was many many months back.
I just requested mine back today. W/ the website down I'm not sure if their e-mail is still working - haven't received and bounces though. I included every address I had for folks at mission-motorcycles.com and mission.co so we'll see if anyone responds. I'm thinking I'll take a year and see if anyone revives the company (isn't Mugen using the Mission powertrain in their bikes?) and if not look at a Lightning - maybe they'll have shipped something by then. Sad......