TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Electricity Prices

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by vfx, Aug 13, 2009.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Electricity Prices Plummet - WSJ.com

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Wow! Conservation is actually working!

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#3 Palpatine, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    I honestly think a big piece of this is everyone switching to CFL bulbs lately. When I did my entire house, my monthly electric bill fell by 15% compared to the previous year. It has been consistently so every month. I will likely loose that advantage now that the Tesla is here, but now there are fewer gasoline expenses on my credit card. So I think the overall energy savings are still worthwhile.

If about 1/3 of American households are switching to CFL bulbs, which is entirely plausible, that number adds up quickly and could explain this new trend.

4. johnr

johnr Member

^ I don't know why it's taking so long for people to switch to CFLs. A lot of people are still using incandescent lights. CFLs produce similar lighting and cost as little as a dollar a piece while using 1/4 the energy, making it a real no-brainer. My house has been on CFLs for years.

5. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

I converted a lot of my regular light switches to dimmers several years ago. CFLs are not compatible with dimmers, so that may be holding up some people from converting. I switched out the lights that I can. Then again, I know a lot of people that just don't care.

Since the CFLs last longer, they are really great in places that are a hassle to change, such as the outside light fixture next to the front door.

I swapped my dining room chandelier out with LED lights, even more efficient than CFLs, and last even longer.

6. johnr

johnr Member

Well, there actually are some dimmable CFLs on the market now, if you look carefully you can find them in most stores where they sell lights. They're selling 28W (100W equiv) dimmable CFLs at my local Walmart.

7. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

Dimmable CFLs! That's very cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I bought a dimmable GU10 CFL from Megaman and I have to say, I am very disappointed in it. While it dims, it goes nowhere near as low as it needs to to be useful. Furthermore, unless you turn it on with full power and leave it for a few seconds, it will not start properly and just flickers like a normal fluorescent that is failing.

I asked the manufacturer of my non-dimming LED GU10s if they had plans for dimmable ones and they said that they were in the pipeline for the end of the year.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I like LEDs much more than CFLs...

10. SByer

SByer '08 #383

The only CFLs I've bought in the past year are the 40w-eq spirals. And, I think that last batch was the last. LEDs FTW.

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Same bulb - US version

HydraLux-4 is First Liquid Cooled LED Lightbulb - Tom's Hardware

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Interesting. I wonder what the liquid is. Certainly not water since a phase transition would be catastrophic. Toxicity? My other concern is that the clear liquid may yellow over time.

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#15 dpeilow, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The HydraLux-4 comes in 2 colors:
    Warm White - Gives soft room filling light and ambiance
    Daylight White - Great for task lighting and promoting alertness.
    [​IMG]

I don't trust these fanciful descriptions or images. Why can't they just give us the color temperature?

This would be good fodder for the LED lighting thread.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Click on the Tech Specs tab.

WW 3000K
    DW 6000K

It's in this thread because there was specifically a statement about dimmable LEDs.

17. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

"Not to worry, if you drop/break it - the liquid inside is harmless paraffin oil that has been tested and certified safe to UL and ROHS standards."

Ok, so then it's a Lava Lamp!

18. richkae

richkae VIN587

Not to derail the great thread about LEDs, but getting back to energy prices...
    Energy prices are down because industrial use is way way down, residential use is pretty flat. Its hard to infer residential conservation from the numbers. The best explanation for industrial use being down is the recession.

In the trailing 9 months of data residential electricity use is down 1% and commercial electricity use is down 2% and industrial electricity use is down 13%

Source:
    Electric Power Monthly - Retail Sales of Electricity to Ultimate Customers: Total by End-Use Sector

19. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator