Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tell them about the consequences, most people are open to advice, the ones I charged with last night didn't even charge to 80% so they have heard the news about over charging. Especially if it's free anyway don't trash your battery, you can ALWAYS come back anytime you need power for 3 years to charge.

Tell them about the consequences, most people are open to advice, the ones I charged with last night didn't even charge to 80% so they have heard the news about over charging. Especially if it's free anyway don't trash your battery, you can ALWAYS come back anytime you need power for 3 years to charge.
This is well documented issue with ID.4’s. In fact, it is all over EV related YouTube channels. And, no they do not charge fast at all over 80%. VW needs to stop giving away free charging with NO idle fees. A limited amount of free charging with a new vehicle is fine, but “free” needs to be capped at 80% SOC, and EA needs to start enforcing idle fees!
And yes, Chevy Bolts are a problem too, along with a few others too. But, ID.4’s are by far the biggest offenders. (Check out Out of Spec, Branden Flasch, etc.)

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
I wasn't lucky this morning. It charged me normally. I was on stall 2. Which stall did it just charge for you?
I was on #1, but I had had it happen several times now where I plug into an EA site and it goes to the Welcome, Driver screen and just starts charging the car w/o saying anything about complimentary. It's caused me to try it if I am there just to be sure. A few days ago when it was still saying Complimentary I tried 4 chargers and none of them started, light on the car turned green but never started flashing

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and noobla3
This is well documented issue with ID.4’s. In fact, it is all over EV related YouTube channels. And, no they do not charge fast at all over 80%. VW needs to stop giving away free charging with NO idle fees. A limited amount of free charging with a new vehicle is fine, but “free” needs to be capped at 80% SOC, and EA needs to start enforcing idle fees!
And yes, Chevy Bolts are a problem too, along with a few others too. But, ID.4’s are by far the biggest offenders. (Check out Out of Spec, Branden Flasch, etc.)
+1 for idle fees. It seems like EA's hardware and software is capable of doing it (since they try to scare you with those wallet-busting 0.00/min idle fees), so they just need to start charging them!

Reactions: noobla3
For newer model years of ID.4, I believe the the sessions are limited to 30 minutes at a time. If they were suddenly change the terms for earlier model years w/o that limit, you'd get some really pissed of drivers and maybe even litigation.

For newer model years of ID.4, I believe the the sessions are limited to 30 minutes at a time. If they were suddenly change the terms for earlier model years w/o that limit, you'd get some really pissed of drivers and maybe even litigation.
Yes, the newer ID.4s are limited to 30 minutes free; but they just unplug at 29 minutes and re-plug-in for another 30 free minutes. Really broken system…
EA needs to force a 30 minute delay before another free session can start.
Plus, they NEED to start enforcing the idle fees!
Regarding the older pre-existing unlimited owners; there really is not that many of them. AND, tough beans, they can whine all they want to, but “service terms” do change all the time. EA can still allow unlimited free charging, just not above 80% SOC. Minor change, but really helps solve the issue for the rest of us.

• Helpful
Yes, the newer ID.4s are limited to 30 minutes free; but they just unplug at 29 minutes and re-plug-in for another 30 free minutes. Really broken system…
EA needs to force a 30 minute delay before another free session can start.
I'm not sure that's correct. Apparently we discussed this before at Electrify America general discussion.

If you select 2022 or 2023 then click the 1 after the mode year at Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America, you'll see this:
"After the initial 30 minutes of each applicable session, charging continues uninterrupted at then-current Electrify America Pass pricing. There is a 60-minute wait-period between charging sessions in which you receive the 30 minutes of charging under this promotion. "

I'm not sure that's correct. Apparently we discussed this before at Electrify America general discussion.

If you select 2022 or 2023 then click the 1 after the mode year at Electrify America: U.S. EV public charging network | Electrify America, you'll see this:
"After the initial 30 minutes of each applicable session, charging continues uninterrupted at then-current Electrify America Pass pricing. There is a 60-minute wait-period between charging sessions in which you receive the 30 minutes of charging under this promotion. "
If you re-read your quoted text, you will see that it does not negate my point.
If the user unplugs at 29 minutes, it does not trigger the “full” 30 minute free session, and therefore does not trigger the 60 minute wait period.
That is one of the problems that EA needs to correct.

• Helpful
My local SF Bay Area station was set to complimentary session for at least 2 out of 4 stations. Don't know about the other two as they were in use, by a Niro EV that was unattended and the other by an ID.4 (where they get free juice anyway).

Someone on a Bolt FB group posted the pic at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set... which shows begin and end dates (ending 1/23/23 at 3 pm ET) at "select locations". Don't know where they are. Unclear how widespread the free juice is.

Sorry. I PMed you with the locations. Don't want say too much more about where I might live.

I dropped by another EA site (uses BTC Power) and it wasn't free. One was in use by an ID.4, so unknown. Another wasn't free at all. Another also wasn't free but said "members only" referring to a busted CC reader. Its CC reader said network error on it. Also, on that station, only the CHAdeMO handle was available. Its CCS handle icon had a red X for unavailable.

The original local to me site (in post 214) was still free w/all 4 showing complimetary session. If it's related to the vendor, this one was Signet "v2" which look exactly like DCFC reliability – An open Letter to Electrify America.