Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America station under construction in Baker CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20190901_083356.jpg

Only one of the 4 chargers facing me had a Chademo cable. The other 7 cables were CCS.

RT

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
When this site goes live with the 8 chargers in place, plus the 40 at the Supercharger, that single site will have 48 total. The Pasadena garage will have 44 so not be the largest single DCFC site in the Western U.S.

RT

IMG_20190903_101919.jpg

This is the South end of the site. The only access other than crossing dirt is over the asphalt by the end near the Supercharger station.

Looks like the big rocks and such are in place to discourage off roading. Doesn't look like there will be a canopy like the Supercharger has.

RT

Probably. For some reason, only 1/2 of the chargers are 350 kW. This is the station near San Luis Obispo. The charger in front (right) is rated at 350kW whereas as the one behind (w/ CHAdeMO connector) is rated at 150kW. For some reason, there are also some CCS-only stations with a 150kW max. Electrify is so complicated compared to Tesla :p
8F837A1C-A4B5-47D1-BD47-F9EBCAB5C20F.jpeg

Probably. For some reason, only 1/2 of the chargers are 350 kW. This is the station near San Luis Obispo. The charger in front (right) is rated at 350kW whereas as the one behind (w/ CHAdeMO connector) is rated at 150kW. For some reason, there are also some CCS-only stations with a 150kW max. Electrify is so complicated compared to Tesla :pView attachment 452230

An LA Times article on the Taycan said that every EA station would "at least one fast charger to take advantage of the so-far-unique 800-volt technology".

Does this just mean that there will be one 350kV pedestal? That's where the Taycan will be hanging out.

RT

An LA Times article on the Taycan said that every EA station would "at least one fast charger to take advantage of the so-far-unique 800-volt technology".

Does this just mean that there will be one 350kV pedestal? That's where the Taycan will be hanging out.

Nah, waiting for. Because everyone will want to use the fastest stall, so even the slow ~60kW charging Bolt EVs will want to hook up to the 350kW stall. o_O

Reactions: KJD
Well, the site was live for the first time back in January. It took months and months to get it finally lit up. And the latest news is that EA took the site down for "enhancements":

EA Baker.jpg

So it looks like we are about two months into the "temporarily unavailable" period. Maybe because it took so long for EA to finally turn the site on that they realized that the installed equipment was obsolete (50/150kW), so will pull them out and upgrade to 350kW? So maybe that takes another couple years to finish like the first round did, it opens for a few months, then they realize another upgrade round is needed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is what happens when a non-Tesla entity tries to do something. They F*** it up because they didn't look 1 year ahead to see that the equipment they were installing was going to rapidly be obsolete. The business management textbooks that will be written documenting how Tesla changed the paradigm for corporate efficiency, will have the EA rollout of their network as the sidebar discussion contrasting how things should not be done.

Unfortunately the global pandemic is is also rendering me "temporarily unavailable" to get to Vegas every few months to chronicle this ongoing drama. Would appreciate if others who pass by could post some pictures.

RT

P.S. In their defense (almost), EA had strict timelines for each 30-month tranche of the Volkswagen settlement investment agreement. Still doesn't excuse them from gross incompetence.

P.P.S. My original pictures show that they can "easily" expand from the initial 8 to 12 EVSE. The pedestals were in place already. The execution of "easily" is what is now happening.

Some news to report here...

I thought they were adding four more chargers, but per the Plugshare site they are upgrading the 50kW chargers to 150kW. Looks like the site has been down for about a month so far.

PXL_20211003_135918527.MP.jpgPXL_20211003_135913609.MP.jpgPXL_20211003_135849014.MP.jpgPXL_20211004_160219527.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Some news to report here...

I thought they were adding four more chargers, but per the Plugshare site they are upgrading the 50kW chargers to 150kW. Looks like the site has been down for about a month so far.

View attachment 717855View attachment 717856View attachment 717857View attachment 717858
Is it my imagination or is that a Tesla Powerpack inverter and Powerpack batteries too? I know the ABB charging cabinets look similar to the Powerpacks at this distance.

Reactions: mociaf9