Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this suggestion (adapting car behavior to achieve range) may be attractive to a subset of EV geeks, but keep in mind tesla is focused on selling more cars and broadening appeal. My friends on the fence all have same reservations: 250 not enough, superchargers not in enough places and still take too long, don't want to drive slower or turn down hvac to extend range. Anyone who has the car quickly learns these are seldom issues. But any move that doesn't address these standard buying obstacles is unlikely to boost tesla's mission of widespread adoption.

Right, varying speed is something _I'd_ want it to do (automatic hypermiling, yeah!), but my wife would be focused on getting there on time. (This is why she drives to places and I drive back.)

Seriously, I think it is quite feasible for Tesla to expand its roadside assistance plan by having a partnership with a service company such as AAA in which they would colaborate to provide mobile fast charging via a truck-mounted battery. Such an arrangement could charge at Supercharger rates and get the vehicle quickly back on the road without towing or flatbedding.

Larry

Nissan tried to do this, but it never worked. When my LEAF ran out of range once I called AAA and asked for a quick charge. Instead they towed me 1/4 mile to my destination.

All Tesla Motors need to do is release firmware with a new TowCharge Mode, controlling the amount of regenative power while being towed behind a Tesla TowCharger(c) or any other tow truck.
These TowChargers could be contacted through a 'Please TowCharge me' dialog in the 17" screen, or they could proactively contact potentially stranding Model S's.

There are plenty of folks who complain (without good cause IMO) about the speed of L2 charging (see up-thread for examples); now imagine the reaction when they're waiting 2hrs at the side of the road for a suitably equipped tow truck and then the public indignity of being towed to get a charge.....

Last edited:
Nissan tried to do this, but it never worked. When my LEAF ran out of range once I called AAA and asked for a quick charge. Instead they towed me 1/4 mile to my destination.

AAA's level 3 charging is only available in some key areas (Seattle being one of them), but as far as I know, the trucks are still around.

That would be an interesting idea/approach tho, if Tesla pays for more AAA truck upgrades, they really could end range anxiety.

AAA's level 3 charging is only available in some key areas (Seattle being one of them), but as far as I know, the trucks are still around.

That would be an interesting idea/approach tho, if Tesla pays for more AAA truck upgrades, they really could end range anxiety.

Well this incident occurred in LA (a key area per AAA) but this service was unavailable. While in theory it may be available, in practice it just doesn't happen. The company advertises one thing, but does another. I don't think a partnership with AAA will be at all successful in ending range anxiety for Tesla owners.

Next time some asks about range and where to charge, you answer "Don't worry, if/when you run out of juice Tesla sends a (gas powered) truck to tow/charge you! Problem solved!" What a marketing story....

[/sarcasm]

Right, another reason I don't think it'll happen.

[sarcasm]Next time some asks about range and where to charge, you answer "Don't worry, if/when you run out of juice Tesla sends a (gas powered) truck to tow/charge you! Problem solved!" What a marketing story....
[/sarcasm]
Of course the towing vehicle needn't be a gas powered truck. It should be something Tesla and EV.
Or would you like that it alternatively was a BYOD EV? These EV already have the buddy loading capability, you know.
They don't need to tow you, they just charge you ($ and kWh).

Next time some asks about range and where to charge, you answer "Don't worry, if/when you run out of juice Tesla sends a (gas powered) truck to tow/charge you! Problem solved!" What a marketing story....

[/sarcasm]

Though it would be cool if AAA switched to all EVs to go fix the ICEs broken down on the road !! :rolleyes:

Of course the towing vehicle needn't be a gas powered truck. It should be something Tesla and EV.
Or would you like that it alternatively was a BYOD EV? These EV already have the buddy loading capability, you know.
They don't need to tow you, they just charge you ($ and kWh).

Agreed Tesla/AAA could purchase VIA trucks from Bob Lutz's firm. As I mentioned earlier the on-board charging equipment doesn't have to be powered by an ICE generator either, but rather a suitable battery that is recharged at a service center.

I should also point out that Tesla has been using gasoline powered trucks ever since its inception in support of its service and delivery operations. Why should this be a marketing problem now?

Larry

I should also point out that Tesla has been using gasoline powered trucks ever since its inception in support of its service and delivery operations. Why should this be a marketing problem now?

Tesla uses trucks because there is no alternative if you're trying to transport cars. I think the marketing problem is when ICE vehicles are suggested as a way to rescue* stranded EVs.

*Yes, "rescue" is deliberately provocative but we all know how that one could be twisted.

I'm sorry, I just find this whole tow truck charge thing silly at this time, and I cannot understand why it's even being suggested.

There are 3.8 million square miles in the continental US. Multiply that by something to get Tesla's global landscape. There are, what, 80,000 MS out there? Sure, they are concentrated in population centers, but that's NOT where they run out of charge - it's in Bum*something*, Nowheresville. And this network of tow trucks is going to be right there when you need them? Geez, one time I blew out a tire and had to wait 2 hours in Chicago Metro for a flatbed. How many trucks would it take to cover Tesla's service area? What would the service level be? Who is going to pay?

Or, maybe my sense of humor needs a tuneup and I can't tell when y'all are joking!

Never heard of it happening either. Nor have I ever come across this supposed EV charging tow truck on the roads of LA. I'm very skeptical. Plus, for Tesla to adopt something like this it needs to be reliable.

I see. Frankly, I can't envision a situation where they would endorse the specific configuration that AAA has piloted. Tesla is not likely to adopt a solution that uses the competing CHAdeMO charging specification. Tesla didn't make their patents more accessible to promote another charging specification that is inferior to their charging specification.

Regardless, the concept of mobile service trucks has certainly been justified over the years and I don't think we should make any far reaching conclusions based on your one-time experience or even AAA's pilot program which has yet to be rolled out in meaningful numbers.

I have confidence that if and when Tesla addresses a more robust roadside assistance plan that they will come up with the appropriate approach to service vehicles.

Larry

BTW, I think that offering a widespread mobile tow/charge solution (while a good idea for emergencies) actually risks magnifying range anxiety rather than eliminating it.

I agree completely. My wife has a rule that her car only gets one pass at stranding her somewhere. If something happens and she needs a tow truck and/or alternate transportation she'll excuse it once. If it happens a second time, she's in the market for a new ride. Somehow she managed to get 140,000 miles from her RAV-4. People really hate the tow truck "solution." I usually buy more expensive cars and am more tolerant than she is, but even I would be unimpressed with a AAA based solution for all but the most desperate circumstances.