Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon almost has me convinced...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heres the video.

With your iPhone/Samsung s7/s8 you can only look around, not hold it to your face. (might need the youtube app). Still fun.

But you need the Cardboard box to get the full immersion. (need the optical lens) I got mine free from the New York times.

It's actually still pretty cool just watching on my laptop dragging the screen to rotate it.

I have a friend who pretends he doesn't like Tesla and makes fun of the glass roof. I'm going to have to send him this. He'll love "hate" it.

Oh come on... "Ever" is a strong word. Even the cheapest little econoboxes will eventually be fully automated with mind-blowing (by current standards) augmented reality. It's all coming. Just a matter of when and how long it takes to become affordable for the masses.

OK....maybe "ever" is a bit extreme.

But on the other extreme, you have "July", which.....ummmm....no.

Maybe when they burn through the reservation queue and refresh the car in 2-3 years.

Oh, no, I definitely do not think there will be any A/R in the Model 3 come July. My whole point was that I believe that last May, Elon anticipated that there would be. Again, I am not one who was desperately wanting this. I just want awd, TACC, 250 miles of range (at 90%), and 4.0 seconds to 60. I think these are all reasonable requests for the optional battery version.

Oh, no, I definitely do not think there will be any A/R in the Model 3 come July. My whole point was that I believe that last May, Elon anticipated that there would be. Again, I am not one who was desperately wanting this. I just want awd, TACC, 250 miles of range (at 90%), and 4.0 seconds to 60. I think these are all reasonable requests for the optional battery version.

My potential usage for the car has changed dramatically since I put my money down. I went from commuting 40 miles/day to being able to walk to the train station.

What I need the car for now is weekend joyriding (manual control) and the long trips to see the in-laws in VA (EAP/FSD).

So yes....I want the same things you do out of the upgraded version. I want nearly 300 miles of range, I want it to be quick, I want it to be comfortable, and I want the convenience features.

Reactions: rcarpen22
I think it's pretty obvious that there was some sort of augmented reality display planned that has been delayed or scrapped. They hired people that do that kind of stuff, Elon made the space ship comment, etc. Also, he said wait until you see the real controls... I don't really care about a HUD or the lack of a 2nd screen, But it's pretty obvious something like that was contemplated and then dropped.
At the initial reveal the drivers all said "only one screen". All of the people that have been hired have been well after the initial reveal and, in some cases, after the final design was completed. They may be working on something now for the model S and X or for another future model and maybe it'll trickle down to the 3 eventually, but I don't think it was ever planned that way.

Actually, I'm thinking about upgrading from a 75 to a 90 or 100 for range and performance.
Upgrading what? The battery on a model 3? They stated a few weeks ago that the max battery will be 75kWh.

My theory is that they're either cameras or NFC sensors, for the ride-sharing feature.

The autonomous car will remain locked until either you tap your phone to the NFC sensor, or the camera recognizes your face.
We've heard the 'Tesla Taxi' (I forget Elon's original name....) theory before, and I think (hope) that's a great idea. Much better than obsoleting all the AP2 S and X's! And that was one of the 'benefits' of the 3 back in the beginning...

Heres the video.

With your iPhone/Samsung s7/s8 you can only look around, not hold it to your face. (might need the youtube app). Still fun.

But you need the Cardboard box to get the full immersion. (need the optical lens) I got mine free from the New York times.

That's cool, you don't need cardboard just use the arrows at top left of screen you can see around 360. I paused at 0:16 when light shines into the car and you can fully see the interior. Specifically it's the first time i finally understand where the crossbars are on the roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sonny Daze
Heres the video.

On a windows PC, firefox/palemoon,chrome, whatever you should be able to spin it by dragging the mouse on the video. If you have a large desktop monitor its really better than I expected out of 3D on a 2D mono setup (going from past experience on other videos, this one I just did a quick spin to confirm that works, didn't bother to watch it).