TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon at Web 2.0 Summit 2008

Discussion in 'News' started by graham, Nov 7, 2008.

1. graham

graham Active Member

Tesla CEO: GM couldn’t afford us now - Techland

[​IMG]

2. graham

graham Active Member

This is interesting that they are starting to talk about this now. I don't remember seeing this in the media before other than in vague terms of "we could potentially do this some time in the future..."

I am sort of surprised that they are reiterating these price claims at this point. Tesla has said previously that they thought it was a mistake to have claimed a price for the Roadster so far ahead of time (and then were forced to raise them)... They also have taken the hit for pre-announcing the Model S at $50K, and have had to raise it to $60K (and it is years before it will see the light of day -- who knows its price in 2011?). I have heard Tesla employees disparage both the Karma and the Volt for doing the same thing.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#4 TEG, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    Tesla Motors Confirms Plans For A Third Electric Car Selling For Under $30,000 TechPulse 360
    Huh? S sedan available first quarter of 2009 for 1/2 the price of the Roadster?!
    I think they must have mixed up the "unveiling" date (2009) with the "available" date (2011).
    Gotta love the press.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/07/elon-musk-at-web-20/
    So we really are talking $54,500 not $60K for Model S ?

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

5. graham

graham Active Member

They all have web sites? :biggrin:

Old, static-content, 1990s technology web sites?

Web 0.2

6. tomsax

tomsax Member

A number of times Tesla/Elon has made the statement that each successive model will cut the price in half and increase production by a factor to 10. These statements are order of magnitude, not literal dollar promises. That's my take anyway.

Or maybe Elon is telling us that the 2011 Roadster base price will be north of $120,000. :)

7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Could very well be $120k depending on the demand and on the finances of the company at that time. Of course Model S, Volt (assuming GM doesn't fold), Fisker Karma will be out at that time and some of the demand might be driven away. I imagine it's more likely he's referring to magnitude for the time being.

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I think that may already be the case. Isn't the base price for the 2010 Roadster already set near $120K?

9. Tdave

Tdave Member

Yes, $119k for the 2010 Roadster already announced.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And $125K for an open 2008 slot.

11. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

4 months, 3 weeks till end of Q1 2009.

I hope to have a Model S in my driveway one day but why does TM continue to discuss the 3rd model when Model S has not been unveiled?

12. graham

graham Active Member

I guess they are trying to convince people they have long-term plans. And therefore will still be around to deliver the BlueStar. Also I suppose it is to diffuse criticism that the Roadster and Model S are too expensive for most people.

13. DDB

DDB Member

Wonder when Tesla is going to float the IPO? I'd imagine it has been set back due to the stock market tanking...BUT, these umteen rounds of funding can only go on so long before investors demand some payback I'd think.

14. Sgee

Sgee Member

I think I heard Elon said a little while after the investment round that they could file for an IPO soon. I think at the earliest he said Q2 2009, but i think he is thinking very optimistically.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Discussions about a 3rd car are all about getting that fed money and looking like a real car company.

Look for a Model S EP to appear (in DC:biggrin:) when the government has to make the who-gets-it decision.

16. graham

graham Active Member

You are probably correct. Does anyone know a timetable on that?