Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Confirms that the FSD sneak peak is for car with HW3 only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla should upgrade in the order FSD was BOUGHT. Regardless of AP 2.0 or 2.5, or which Vehicle.
I thought perhaps Elon would do Model 3 2.5 first because that would satisfy the most customers the quickest for the least $$$
But they seemed to be doing S/X 2.5 the most first. Which wasn't optimal for anything that I can think of.

Since that is apparently targeted at me, note that I'm not one of the early FSD buyers.
No “targeting”, just identifying differences in ways of thinking. I’m not suggesting that one is right and the other wrong, just that they are different perspectives to individual interests and collective interests.

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t know whether I will get this “bonus” as I don’t know whether I have HW3 or whether the “bonus” will be made available to Canadian Tesla owners. I’m just glad that as many people as possible are getting it.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I just read that linked article and I think you’re mis-representing it. Nothing in there refers to the video (if it’s the one I’m thinking of) to get one clean run. The numbers in the report are a total miles and total disengagement’s throughout the year. Not one single road or anything like that which is how your post reads

Well, the videos were made in California so they are part of the report. You notice that Tesla only used 4 cars for those 550 miles and 180 disengagements. If you check the 2017 report Tesla drove 0 vehicles in CA in self driving mode. So the conclusion many came to was the 4 cars 550 miles was only to get the video clips.

Well, the videos were made in California so they are part of the report. You notice that Tesla only used 4 cars for those 550 miles and 180 disengagements. If you check the 2017 report Tesla drove 0 vehicles in CA in self driving mode. So the conclusion many came to was the 4 cars 550 miles was only to get the video clips.

Still doesn’t mean it’s fake. Also doesn’t mean they only did it for the video. You’re inferring a LOT off very little info on a random website that requested some information that isn’t posted publicly, it has to be requested from that agency for the full report

I think Tesla should upgrade in the order FSD was BOUGHT. Regardless of AP 2.0 or 2.5, or which Vehicle.
I thought perhaps Elon would do Model 3 2.5 first because that would satisfy the most customers the quickest for the least $$$
But they seemed to be doing S/X 2.5 the most first. Which wasn't optimal for anything that I can think of.

It's optimal for getting the updates to people who've spent the most money on their Teslas.

Reactions: Nomad2006
S/X customers paid the most and are generally more capable of buying another Tesla. Seems like good business strategy to give them priority. Their cars are also more likely to be in a Tesla service center, due to age, and it’s easier to upgrade cars that are already in the service center.

So I do wonder what the risk/reward calculus was for Elon when planning this.
Looking at the overall Tesla fleet of 900k vehicles might put some things into perspective. There's 200k vehicles before FSD was offered with HW2 late 2016, 400k vehicles without FSD computer from before early this year, and 300k vehicles with FSD computer from this year.

The 300k new vehicles already with the FSD computer will get the benefit of a sneak preview visualization assuming it's like the cone visualizations. Of the 400k HW2.0/2.5 vehicles, probably only the fraction that purchased FSD capability should really care about FSD improvements anyway. Anyone know what's the take rate of FSD? But even assuming 50%, that population is smaller than the new owners already with FSD computer…

And with production rate increasing from 100k/quarter, the FSD-less fleet will be dwarfed by the rapidly growing FSD-ful fleet.

I’m a little disappointed but not surprised. I’m more disappointed that they haven’t announced any real plans for retrofits and again failed to deliver on feature complete by the end of the year.
The year isn't over yet so perhaps as Elon said early adopters will get some form of feature complete FSD. Do I think that will happen probably no but lets at least wait until 2020 before stating Tesla failed.

S/X customers paid the most and are generally more capable of buying another Tesla. Seems like good business strategy to give them priority. Their cars are also more likely to be in a Tesla service center, due to age, and it’s easier to upgrade cars that are already in the service center.

S&X can also have the HW3 retrofit done by mobile techs. The Model 3 can't be because it is liquid cooled and mobile techs don't deal with fluid related items. (At least at this point they don't.)

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
S&X can also have the HW3 retrofit done by mobile techs. The Model 3 can't be because it is liquid cooled and mobile techs don't deal with fluid related items. (At least at this point they don't.)

I have been away from the forums for a while but I don’t recall hearing the 3 was liquid cooled before. I’m curious why the 3s would be vs the S/X. Obviously the 3s overall design is newer but isn’t it the same chips/AP computer?

I have been away from the forums for a while but I don’t recall hearing the 3 was liquid cooled before. I’m curious why the 3s would be vs the S/X. Obviously the 3s overall design is newer but isn’t it the same chips/AP computer?

The Model 3 uses a combined MCU/AP unit with a liquid cooling heatsink sandwiched between the two boards. It takes up less space and doesn't put heat under the dash/into the cabin when operating. It also removes three, or four fans, from inside the car which should make it quieter and more reliable. Here is what it looks like:

Model 3 ECU.jpg

It mounts to the "firewall" with the two cooling nipples through to in the Frunk area.