Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon driving cross-country

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of those news links go to an old supercharger map ( from the original supercharger expansion announcement date ) that only shows 8 stations instead of the current 19. Thats too bad.

3200 miles over 6 days is only 533 miles per day. Thats somewhere around 268 miles of charging per day ( assuming you start each morning with a full 265 and end the day empty ). A more probable number is 300-350 miles of charging per day and ending each day with some buffer. Seems pretty easy to do that with a dozen correctly placed superchargers and 5 hotels with a L2 charger.[/QUOTE

i am sorry, 533 miles per day with five little children is alota driving. They're on vacation folks. Nobody drives across the country just to drive, there's sights to see. No question the S's can do it, its about enjoying the trip, and fact that we "taggers-alongers" will be wanting to have some Tesl-lo-ian fun!

hope the Musk's have a dandy trip, and if we are invited, i am sure some will follow respectfully at a distance .....

I don't think he's going through Albuquerque. I think he will do a full charge in Gallup and go north on 491 to hit the Supercharger in Farmington. They've nearly finished that Supercharger.
Grendal --Sorry, couldn't tell where the stations were on the small screen. Edited post to Gallup. Quick check of Tesla website still shows Gallup has been removed. Perhaps the site is down for some reason.
Tesla Map 12-23.JPG

crossing the country in the S would sort of be old news in a way, crossing it in the X would compound the excitement of a new model with the opening of the cross country circuit of the super charging network and would be a brilliant move for Tesla! the question of course is, how risky would it be to take a beta on a virgin voyage cross country with so many cameras ready to bring focus to any and every little glitch that comes up?

crossing the country in the S would sort of be old news in a way, crossing it in the X would compound the excitement of a new model with the opening of the cross country circuit of the super charging network and would be a brilliant move for Tesla! the question of course is, how risky would it be to take a beta on a virgin voyage cross country with so many cameras ready to bring focus to any and every little glitch that comes up?

I think they would be further than a Beta only 9 months from first delivery right ?

I think they would be further than a Beta only 9 months from first delivery right ?

We got the MS Alphas in August of 2011 if I remember correctly. I believe the beta was shown around the factory event (Oct 2011). If so, that was only 8 months before deliveries were supposed to begin (and about a year+ until they began in earnest). Granted, they SHOULD be better-prepared this time around, but somehow I doubt it.

Remember most of the Critical systems at duplicates of the MS. What is new is the all wheel drive and the body. I think there is a good chance we will see an X and an S costs the country. I think it would be pretty difficult for Elon to travel cross country with all his kids and luggage in a single vehicle.

We got the MS Alphas in August of 2011 if I remember correctly. I believe the beta was shown around the factory event (Oct 2011). If so, that was only 8 months before deliveries were supposed to begin (and about a year+ until they began in earnest). Granted, they SHOULD be better-prepared this time around, but somehow I doubt it.

Not to keep OT, but beta issues on the X won't be in the drive dynamics, but in body.

I think driving the X at the same time he crosses country, would be an awesome move, even if before production rollout.

Great idea if the X is ready.

As Elon has 5 kids, it might be a bit much to do all that driving with the kids having to take long turns in that rear-facing seat. It has its purpose, but from what I've heard not as comfortable as the ones many of us grew up with in old stationwagons.

From a publicity standpoint, I think two separate stories might be better than one big one. Even big stories tend to be forgotten overnight. Separating them out lets you focus better in each story, and it gives two chances for people to see and be convinced.

I don' think the model S is going to be going from being the car of the future to being obsolete when the model X comes out, especially considering that they are on the same platform. So I don't think abandoning the model S is a good plan.

Can Elon Musk drive the Model X across the country then make every person that has already plunked down $ for the reservation wait another 6 months? I think that these reservation holders will already be chomping at the bits to get their hands on the Model X. It would be good PR for the Model X but I think it might anger some of the reservation holders.

Taking both the vehicles makes a lot of sense. I'm leaning more on the thought of taking the X will be great for Elon to really get a feel for the way the X works in the real world. He's always been very hands on, what better way to get a feel for the nuances of what would make the X a better vehicle. He will have his kids/strollers/groceries/snacks/etc in both cars and will get first hand experience of what actual problems arise when you're trying to putting kids/strollers/etc into the back of the crossover/suv vehicle or even the S. Who knows maybe we get some new additions for the production version of the X when it finally comes out….

From a PR perspective he should just stash a couple of identical Model X's across the country so he can swap um out if the alpha or beta version were to break down *heh heh heh*

Can Elon Musk drive the Model X across the country then make every person that has already plunked down $ for the reservation wait another 6 months? I think that these reservation holders will already be chomping at the bits to get their hands on the Model X. It would be good PR for the Model X but I think it might anger some of the reservation holders.

I, personally, wouldn't mind. If he took a beta out for the purposes of PR and giving it an extended road test, I'd be fine with that.