Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is wrong to say that waymo does not work in your city. You have not tried a waymo to see if it works or not. You should say waymo is not deployed in your city yet. That is accurate. Deployment and working are different things. There are likely areas thar work but waymo has not deployed public ride hailing yet. Waymo could work in Seattle and just not deployed yet.
LOL.

We can't say Model 3 won't fly in space. We can only say Model 3 hasn't been deployed in space yet.

By definition, a geofenced vehicle, will NOT work in a place it is not allowed to work.

LOL.

We can't say Model 3 won't fly in space. We can only say Model 3 hasn't been deployed in space yet.

By definition, a geofenced vehicle, will NOT work in a place it is not allowed to work.

That is a dumb analogy. We know a car cannot physically operate in space. Waymo are cars that are designed to operate on roads. It is just a matter of how good they would be.

You don't understand how waymo works. The geofence is an artificial limit. Waymo does not need the geofence to work. They could remove the geofence if they wanted to and the waymo driver would work everywhere. Now, there would likely be some cases that require interventions/disengagements but it would work. We know this to be true because when Waymo wanted to deploy outside the geofence in Chandler, they simply mapped the new area and then deployed there and it worked. When they wanted to deploy in SF, they mapped and deployed. When they wanted to deploy in downtown Phoenix, they just mapped and deployed. And now they have mapped areas of LA and have started testing. Waymo can deploy anywhere. They just map first and then deploy.

In the case of Seattle, Waymo would just map Seattle and then deploy the Waymo Driver in Seattle. Again, we don't know how well it would work in Seattle. There could be situations in Seattle that cause interventions/disengagements. But the Waymo Driver would work in Seattle.

Getting back on topic of "feature complete", Aurora defines "feature complete: this way:

In just six months, we expect to have established all of the key capabilities necessary to launch Aurora Horizon and removed all policy interventions. In other words, the Aurora Driver will be able to autonomously navigate all of the common driving situations we expect it will encounter on our launch lane while hauling loads for Aurora customers.

Obviously, Tesla is not doing trucking along a specific route. But we can extrapolate from their definition that "feature complete" means having all the key capabilities to navigate autonomously all of the common driving situations you expect to encounter.

So based on this definition is FSD beta "feature complete" yet? If you say no, how soon will it be "feature complete"?

Personally, I think Tesla FSD will be "feature complete" when they release "single stack".

It is wrong to say that waymo does not work in your city. You have not tried a waymo to see if it works or not. You should say waymo is not deployed in your city yet. That is accurate. Deployment and working are different things. There are likely areas thar work but waymo has not deployed public ride hailing yet. Waymo could work in Seattle and just not deployed yet.

When I have to take a *sugar* there’s little difference between a toilet that’s not working and one that hasn’t been deployed/installed.

When I have to take a *sugar* there’s little difference between a toilet that’s not working and one that hasn’t been deployed/installed.

Who cares if the AV works, if it has not been deployed? I get it. Obviously, deployment is what matters the most. I am simply pointing out that "working" and "deployment" are different concepts and it is not accurate to say that Waymo does not work in Seattle. It is more accurate to say it is not deployed in Seattle. I just want people to be a bit more precise with their statements.

in fact it is completely wrong to say "Waymo does not work in my city and NOA works" because obviously NOA does not work in the same sense waymo works anywhere.
The proper statement I think is "I can drive my Tesla anywhere where I can physically get it to with whatever assist features that happen to work there, meanwhile Waymo public driverless deployments are fairly confined to very restricted areas (non public testing deployments are much wider, but we don't know the level of performance)".

in fact it is completely wrong to say "Waymo does not work in my city and NOA works" because obviously NOA does not work in the same sense waymo works anywhere.
The proper statement I think is "I can drive my Tesla anywhere where I can physically get it to with whatever assist features that happen to work there, meanwhile Waymo public driverless deployments are fairly confined to very restricted areas (non public testing deployments are much wider, but we don't know the level of performance)".
It might come down company policies of delivering something that works versus delivering something with the old 'college try.'

That is a dumb analogy. We know a car cannot physically operate in space. Waymo are cars that are designed to operate on roads. It is just a matter of how good they would be.

You don't understand how waymo works. The geofence is an artificial limit. Waymo does not need the geofence to work. They could remove the geofence if they wanted to and the waymo driver would work everywhere. Now, there would likely be some cases that require interventions/disengagements but it would work. We know this to be true because when Waymo wanted to deploy outside the geofence in Chandler, they simply mapped the new area and then deployed there and it worked. When they wanted to deploy in SF, they mapped and deployed. When they wanted to deploy in downtown Phoenix, they just mapped and deployed. And now they have mapped areas of LA and have started testing. Waymo can deploy anywhere. They just map first and then deploy.

In the case of Seattle, Waymo would just map Seattle and then deploy the Waymo Driver in Seattle. Again, we don't know how well it would work in Seattle. There could be situations in Seattle that cause interventions/disengagements. But the Waymo Driver would work in Seattle.

Geofencing is actually required by law.

It’s not technical limitation. Per regulation- all L4 operator needs to demonstrate reliability of it system with in area of operation during testing. Only hitting the threshold before license for operation can be granted.

Reactions: diplomat33
Tesla legal already stated FSD is a failure in court.

What else is needed to prove that Tesla was on the wrong path from day one.

In addition-

Let me clarify how self driving certification and SAE definition works.

In majority of L4 certification requirement-
The license to test L4 function is given by local authority in US (sandbox- geo fencing). Only when the operator demonstrate reliable operation before operating license is given.

If everyone bother to read SAE J3616 definition clearly mentioned that geo fencing is needed for L4 certification.

US and EU does not have federal level law that regulate self driving. In US this is currently managed at state and city level. Hence for Waymo to operate in your city. It actually needs agreement with that city and setup geo fencing per requirement of that city.
Same thing apply to EU- where German KBA is leading the effort in certify L3+ system. That is why EQS can only operate on certain roads in Germany.

L4 system by its architecture was never limited to certain geographic area. Because from day one it’s already capable of regenerate 4D environment surround the vehicle (4th dimension- means object speed, direction of movement is also scanned real-time)

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
It’s like there is a disconnect between teslas legal team, and Elon.
Yeah, but he long insisted that his statements are just his opinion and nobody should be taking those seriously or something along those lines.

When you buy a Tesla car, the purchase agreement specifies that you are only getting what is in the contract, all outside promises including statements by any Tesla personnel and website are null and void.

Yeah, but he long insisted that his statements are just his opinion and nobody should be taking those seriously or something along those lines.

When you buy a Tesla car, the purchase agreement specifies that you are only getting what is in the contract, all outside promises including statements by any Tesla personnel and website are null and void.

Actually no. Elon is CEO of Tesla- his comment on FSD does have liability.

One of the main reason why both civil and criminal case on FSD is progressing.

Actually, legally speaking? Not accurate. Not this clear cut.