Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you believe in the Tesla mission, you should want Tesla to achieve FSD and provide that FSD to owners who paid for it (ie provide free hardware upgrades to AP2 cars if necessary or give them FSD free on their next Tesla if they decide to trade in). Just suing them to take millions from them does not help the Tesla cause, actually makes it harder for Tesla to finish FSD and probably won't get you FSD anyway. And as others have mentioned, the lawyers will get most of it. If you win, all you do is punish Tesla, make it harder for Tesla to achieve its mission of a sustainable future and line the pockets of lawyers while you get $200. That's not the answer!

• Disagree
Reactions: Superendo
Honestly I don't see any realistic situation in which this works out to everyone's happiness. Yes, a group action is probably needed of some sort, though.

You can bet that once Q4 comes if users on 3 year leases start returning FSD vehicles without ever getting the feature paid there will certainly be a new class action suit filed. Tesla needs to start being held responsible for their claims.

Reactions: croman and zmarty
If you believe in the Tesla mission, you should want Tesla to achieve FSD and provide that FSD to owners who paid for it (ie provide free hardware upgrades to AP2 cars if necessary or give them FSD free on their next Tesla if they decide to trade in). Just suing them to take millions from them does not help the Tesla cause, actually makes it harder for Tesla to finish FSD and probably won't get you FSD anyway. And as others have mentioned, the lawyers will get most of it. If you win, all you do is punish Tesla, make it harder for Tesla to achieve its mission of a sustainable future and line the pockets of lawyers while you get $200. That's not the answer!

It's a deterrent against more BS.

Everybody here wants FSD to succeed - that is why some of us bought it. The discussion is mostly around bad / misleading business practices.

I have zero confidence that Tesla will achieve actual level 5 in the lifetime of my cars. That's why I passed on FSD on my 3 (not available for my old S). However, I would gladly pay $2000 for "FSD" if it would just get rid of the freaking nag troll on AP. At this point though, I firmly believe that Elon would be fine with charging me $2k to get rid of nags and reinstate the nags 2 days later and blame "regulations." So frustrating...

At least, we know where the FSD critics are getting their talking points from.
1: Did you actually read the full article?
2: What part of it do you take issue with?

I was a semi mid-adopter of AP1 and not even 18 months after purchase the infamous “FSD video” was released and promises of FSD being imminent abounded and I bit it hook line and sinker. You see where we actually are today. So again, after reading that ariticle, what parts of it do you disagree with?

Look I do want Tesla to succeed, I own 2 Teslas, have owned 3, and we plan on purchasing a Roadster for my wife when available. My only problem with Tesla is the “CET” Chief Executive Tweeter making promises no one keeps. Making commitments no one keeps. AND now moving the definition of FSD all around so that Elon/Tesla can announce with trumpet and fanfare that “We Have FSD”....”we have fulfilled our commitment”......This is not okay..

Last edited:

I was a semi mid-adopter of AP1 and not even 18 months after purchase the infamous “FSD video” was released and promises of FSD being imminent abounded and I bit it hook line and sinker. You see where we actually are today. So again, after reading that ariticle, what parts of it do you disagree with?

Look I do want Tesla to succeed, I own 2 Teslas, have owned 3, and we plan on purchasing a Roadster for my wife when available. My only problem with Tesla is the “CET” Chief Executive Tweeter making promises no one keeps. Making commitments no one keeps. AND now moving the definition of FSD all around so that Elon/Tesla can announce with trumpet and fanfare that “We Have FSD”....”we have fulfilled our commitment”......This is not okay..

They moved stuff to FSD so they could make TACC+autosteer cheaper, so SR people (in particular) might buy it, and so that it didn't impact competitiveness as more cars come with autosteer.

Yes I read the article. Let me explain my "talking points" claim.

First we have the title of the article, "Tesla has a self-driving strategy that other companies abandoned years ago". So right off the bat we know the article is going to be about how Tesla's self-driving strategy won't work because other companies have already dismissed it. The exact same thing we hear in this thread constantly by folks who say that Tesla is not a legit SDC and other companies like Waymo are the only SDC that are legit when it comes to developing FSD.

Then when we go to the very first line of the article which reads "An overhaul to Tesla's Autopilot webpage might represent the clearest acknowledgment yet that the company has failed to deliver on Elon Musk's ambitious vision for a self-driving future."

Where I have heard this idea before? Yep, on this very page by folks who say that the new description of FSD is proof that Tesla has dumbed down FSD and is admitting that FSD won't happen.

Then this line, "In other words, despite Musk's bluster over the years, Autopilot is still just a driver-assistance system. And it will continue to be just a driver-assistance system for some time to come."

Again, word for word for the critics say, that Musk is just blustering nonsense and Tesla's FSD is just a driver assist that will always be a driver assist for years.

Then this line, "But there's reason to doubt that this strategy is going to work. More importantly, there's reason to worry that it could get people killed."

Again, the same thing we hear on this thread, that Tesla's FSD strategy won't work and will even get people killed because of how bad and foolish it is.

Then the article criticizes Tesla for "moving the goal posts". Where have I heard that before? Yep, right here.

Lastly, it explains why FSD requires LIDAR. Again, all the same things we hear people on this thread say all the time.

To sum up we got:
"Tesla is not a legit SDC"
"Tesla's FSD approach has been repudiated by the real experts."
"Tesla's FSD will always just be a L2 ADAS that Tesla will pretend is FSD to make money"
"Tesla will get people killed"
"FSD requires LIDAR which Tesla does not use therefore Tesla is doomed to fail."

I think you get the idea. It's the same old stuff we hear repeated on this thread over and over again.

I take issue with the bias of the article. It reads like a hit piece on Tesla. It mentions nothing positive about Tesla. It does not mention how good EAP is. It does not mention that Tesla has FSD in development mode now. It just regurgitates the arguments against Tesla. And, it uses sensationalism journalism, claiming that Tesla will get people killed but it can't even get the facts right about the fatal accidents. It has to issue an addendum at the bottom with a correction.

I also disagree with the article that Tesla's method is flawed. When you have hundreds of thousands of drivers like Tesla has, an incremental approach with driver supervision makes sense. There are millions of driving situations that tesla drivers face every day on a multitude of difference roads. There is no way, even the best of software development, could anticipate all of it. So even if Tesla did have L4, they would still need to release it with driver supervision at first. Waymo can take their approach because they just need to L4 to work in limited geofenced situations with a limited number of cars.

But the bottom line is that I take issue with the idea that Tesla won't achieve FSD. Tesla is nearing "feature complete" FSD that works in development mode. And Tesla is improving the hardware with AP3. Tesla is close to "FSD with driver supervision". Of course, that is a long way to L4. I am not naive on this. Driver supervision will be required at first but Tesla will continue to improve it until it does get to L4. Again, we can whine that Tesla is not at L4 yet like Musk promised years ago but I think Tesla is in a good place now in their FSD development.

And the idea that Tesla will release a FSD that will kill people is sensationalism. Heck, the reason that Tesla has delayed releasing some features is precisely because they are not going to release features that could be unsafe. For example, Tesla released NOA with driver confirmation for that very reason. I have no doubt that when Tesla does release FSD that will be safe and the driver confirmation will just be a safety precaution.

I am glad to hear that you want Tesla to succeed. And yes, I do agree with you that Musk should be a more responsible with his promises and tweets. But I have to disagree a bit that Tesla is redefining FSD just so that they can pretend like they are keeping their promises. The FSD on the website will be feature complete and will able to self-drive on city streets with enough confidence to release to the public. So Tesla is not releasing half-FSD and calling it a day. Tesla is just planning to release FSD with driver supervision as a precaution and as an intermediary step on the path to L4. It is not Tesla's final FSD. As you well know, being a long time Tesla owner, Tesla uses OTA updates to gradually improve their products. Tesla will surely improve FSD over many years to come.

Last edited:
Yes I read the article. Let me explain my "talking points" claim.

(...) the very first line of the article which reads "An overhaul to Tesla's Autopilot webpage might represent the clearest acknowledgment yet that the company has failed to deliver on Elon Musk's ambitious vision for a self-driving future."

Where I have heard this idea before? Yep, on this very page by folks who say that the new description of FSD is proof that Tesla has dumbed down FSD and is admitting that FSD won't happen.
Yes you've "heard this idea before". You read it here, on TMC. You read me posting it, minutes after Tesla changed their website.

So don't insinuate I got my "talking points" from Arse technika. I don't even read that.
At least, we know where the FSD critics are getting their talking points from.
Yeah I'm an "FSD critic". I'm critical of how Tesla treats their customers. Deal with it

Yes you've "heard this idea before". You read it here, on TMC. You read me posting it, minutes after Tesla changed their website.

So don't insinuate I got my "talking points" from Arse technika. I don't even read that.

Yeah I'm an "FSD critic". I'm critical of how Tesla treats their customers. Deal with it

I guess my point is really just that these types of articles and the posts from certain critics on this forum are both repeating the same arguments again and again.

I guess my point is really just that these types of articles and the posts from certain critics on this forum are both repeating the same arguments again and again.

FSD was once a future thing. I bought into that and invested in that with my order.
Now the definition of FSD has changed to be a present thing: "you already have it! it's called NoA, Summon and AutoPark! More stuff coming soon!"

How can you possibly defend Tesla in this case?

Give me a break.

FSD was once a future thing. I bought into that and invested in that with my order.
Now the definition of FSD has changed to be a present thing: "you already have it! it's called NoA, Summon and AutoPark! More stuff coming soon!"

How can you possibly defend Tesla in this case?

Give me a break.

NoA, summon, and AutoPark are FSD features. Are they still under monitoring? Yes. Is FSD feature complete? No. Did Elon state both those things on the ARK podcast? Yes.

Just because the web site has been updated to not get too far ahead of the development curve does not mean the development is stopping.

Perhaps because there is actually some merit to them?

I would like to know what your background is that justifies your unlimited defense of Tesla. Are you involved in safety-of-life engineering? Do you have insider knowledge of some type? The technical users of this forum have the exact opposite assessment of the Tesla AP program from you. How do you explain this discrepancy?

• Love
Reactions: electronblue