Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: "Feature complete for full self driving this year"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, this is the advantage of Tesla being a flexible dev team. It's the development version of the "sunk cost" fallacy. Just because time has been expended on one methodology doesn't mean another can't yield better results.

so true!

very often in my career, I've had managers that won't let you rip out old stuff that just won't scale or be supportable and you have to continue to throw good money at bad.

this is why I am happy to hear that they're not shy about redoing some things.

this isn't a new twitter or facebook software update. its not some website that updated. people driving cars is about LIVES. they 'get' that and so rushing code out just for a ceo's deadline - that's not really a good reason. again, I'm glad they didn't ship alpha code to us just to meet some end-of-year deadline.

Reactions: willow_hiller
If we are talking about the lawsuit I think we are: The issue was people ordered cars when AP1 was in production and had a defined feature set. Then they were delivered AP2 cars which did not have those features for a period of time. The money was compensation for the time they had the cars without the expected, preexisting, features.

I thought it involved a lot more owners where the date of eligibility was well beyond the small group of people your listed criteria would cover.

Like this post says "delivered on our before September 30th 2017" which is well outside of your range. The people covered in your range would only go up to the first part of 2017.

EAP Class Action Settlement 7-26-18

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
guys, a 're-write' is a GOOD THING.

sometimes, old technical debt is better left behind.

its not often that you get a chance to say 'well, this was a good learning experience. now, lets write the real code.'

this will delay things (I bet its been in the works a while, now) - but I'm quite encouraged by the fact that mgmt is ok'ing a "re-write" of some key systems.

I have seen plenty of perfectly good / well thought-out pieces of software go to utter *sugar* after a "re-write"

I have seen plenty of POS pieces of software get better after a "re-write"

Let me ask a simple question: did Elon / Tesla lie? Did they sell something that does not exist? Even promise it would exist by a certain time, and yet it still does not exist?

At what point do regulators get involved? Charges brought? Is this something the FTC would take up?

Everyone should just start demanding refunds.

They get away with it because people keep throwing money their way and don't mind getting walked all over.

Let me ask a simple question: did Elon / Tesla lie? Did they sell something that does not exist? Even promise it would exist by a certain time, and yet it still does not exist?

At what point do regulators get involved? Charges brought? Is this something the FTC would take up?

They get away with it because people keep throwing money their way and don't mind getting walked all over.

Tesla would owe a refund to FSD purchasers, perhaps partial. This would affect cash, not profitability AFAIK.

The idea, I think, is to make FSD useful enough that most people would not ask for a refund.

Musk certainly lied about FSD at he point of breakup with mobileye. I suppose he felt he had to.

Uh, full refunds for the FSD. Since that's the thing you wouldn't be getting.

You GOT the car obviously.

NO, wrong. I got a car not THE car. FSD was an integral part of the car. It was advertised as such. If they cann't deliver, I want my money back or they should make it right and give me a similar car which does do FSD.

Last edited:
guys, a 're-write' is a GOOD THING.

sometimes, old technical debt is better left behind.

its not often that you get a chance to say 'well, this was a good learning experience. now, lets write the real code.'

this will delay things (I bet its been in the works a while, now) - but I'm quite encouraged by the fact that mgmt is ok'ing a "re-write" of some key systems.

I am sorry. How many times have they rewritten this? Now again, so late in the game? How many are there to follow?
What have these guys been doing in the past three years? What a bunch of amateurs.
They just don't know what they are doing. What a waste of resources.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out.

Did Elon/Tesla Lie -> absolutely, and basically throughout the entire life of FSD so far. Where they've used the strategy of reducing the extent of the lie at each juncture.
Did they sell something that does not exist -> Yes.
What point do regulators step in -> In the US we have very loose regulation for this kind of thing. In other countries I expect to see FSD refunded soon. Countries like Germany for example. Which reminds me that I need to look up when the clock strikes on that one.
Elon never gave any precise time promise so I don't think most FSD customers in countries without good consumer protection laws have much recourse. They also hid behind the whole "after validation and regulatory" disclaimer.

With all that being said the vast majority of early FSD owners were people who understood that FSD was a bit of a pipe dream. Like for example I got it because $3K is a fairly small price to pay for a chance at something greater than L2 driving that we're stuck on. I was one of the 90% that ordered it knowing it was a lie to begin with. I didn't do it because I thought they could get away with something. I did it because it would be a fun adventure either way. When I bought it I didn't get the impression that any promises came with it. So I went for it knowing that it was a bit of a bet. With bets sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.

Outside of AP 2.0 people I don't think a lot of FSD owners are really demanding a refund.

I think the best solution is for Tesla to actively offer refunds for people who bought FSD before it was merged with EAP features. So far those people haven't gotten a single thing for their money, and it's been like 3 years. So that way they can throw in the towel where the accept a possible higher cost later on for FSD if they choose to reorder it later.

It also allows people like me to continue to get FSD updates to see where it eventually goes.

Personally I don't have much empathy for people who fell for the FSD pipe dream. So it's like I'm with you guys in a journey where you guys don't want to be here. I just hope you guys get something so you can get off this train. This train isn't a train you want to be on if you don't relish at the chance at trying state of the art crapware. Only adventurous people need to stay.

I am sorry. How many times have they rewritten this? Now again, so late in the game? How many are there to follow?
What have these guys been doing in the past three years? What a bunch of amateurs.
They just don't know what they are doing. What a waste of resources.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out.

Any time HW changes significantly you're likely going to have a code rewrite to some degree.

The HW drastically changed from HW2/HW2.5 to HW3.

it's also important to point out that some of what they're doing was simply NOT there.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but a user named Blader spent what seemed like years reminding us that the Tesla code didn't have what was needed for FSD. Where some of that stuff he talked about sounded suspiciously like what is being added now.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The idea, I think, is to make FSD useful enough that most people would not ask for a refund.

Which they can do that with FSD owners after EAP and FSD were combined. It's hard to do that for EAP owners since they already have Summon, Smart Park, NoA, Auto lane changes, etc. Now these people hear that it's likely going to be another year before any true FSD features (that are outside of EAP) are going to happen?

Ouch.

It's time to open up the refund bank before the lawyers start smelling blood.

NO, wrong. I got a car not THE car. FSD was an integral part of the car. It was advertised as such. If they cann't deliver, I want my money back or they should make it right and give me a similar car which does do FSD.

You bought a $100K+ car based on a $3K option that didn't come with any promise date of delivering on something that not a single company in the world had achieved?

I hope you work in the film industry because that's one mighty fantasy. :p

As far as I'm concerned Tesla giving you a $3K refund for FSD only is the appropriate course of action. Maybe a signed apology from Elon Musk for taking advantage of you.

In the podcast I posted above, Elon says that dojo will go online towards the end of this year or early next year. So it sounds like Tesla is focused on doing the rewrite now and then once that is done, they will use dojo to further accelerate learning with the new rewrite.