Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still in the minority where I can see an option of alternating routes to avoid sticky situations. We see Waymo doing it, and I don't see a problem with that.

There's plenty of times where I take a right and turn around I stead of just going left across traffic if I can't see well, or if traffic is bad.

If you can get to 99.99999% intervention free driving by avoiding a certain maneuver, and it would take a lot of resources to save that issue, you'd be stupid not to.

I am still in the minority where I can see an option of alternating routes to avoid sticky situations. We see Waymo doing it, and I don't see a problem with that.

There's plenty of times where I take a right and turn around I stead of just going left across traffic if I can't see well, or if traffic is bad.

If you can get to 99.99999% intervention free driving by avoiding a certain maneuver, and it would take a lot of resources to save that issue, you'd be stupid not to.

100% agree. I'd be happy with a safe low-intervention route rather than a sketchy route.

SEVEN nines??? That's going to be a neat trick.

Even in healthcare IT, expectation is four or maybe five nine reliability. For context, hospitals strive for Six Sigma in each process, which expects no defect (of a process or product) 99.9999% of the time.

I think three nines is about the best of what to expect with FSD after a few more iterations.

OMG it is coming soon.

I believe this represents a one-week slip, per prior tweets referenced here. (So September 10th/11th rather than September 3rd/4th) TBH I pay little attention to the dates he provides. It appears to have slipped one week, in one week. It's like a carrot on a stick.

(Follow up tweet indicates just two weeks later for The "opt-in" Button. That seems like one week sooner than he previously indicated, though that's debatable - literally, it's about the same if it is measured from the time of his original tweet. (Now indicated to be September 24th rather than September 22nd, or October 1st with alternative interpretation. Haha.)

Last edited:
Step Change.PNG

Sawyer Merritt is live tweeting the Tesla quarterly employee meeting. Here are some things Elon said in the meeting about FSD:

Obviously the $25k car will have some steering control using the touchscreen. However FSD Beta will likely be enabled all the time so you'll only have to correct errors with the screen control. No part is the best part and all user input is error are the guiding principles.

Obviously the $25k car will have some steering control using the touchscreen. However FSD Beta will likely be enabled all the time so you'll only have to correct errors with the screen control. No part is the best part and all user input is error are the guiding principles.
Right, No Part is the Best Part. So actually, the production Model 2 will not have a touch screen, or any screen at all.

After all, pretty much every Tesla owner has a touchscreen smartphone with all necessary sensors. In normal operation this will be needed only so that you can agree to take full responsibility for whatever is about to happen (simply tap the button that says, in characteristically hip Tesla-legalese, "Well I paid for this thing so I guess I'M IN!"), after which you're free to descend into streaming or gaming mode as FSD works its (beta) Teraflop magic.

But, if you ever need to take over in an emergency, you'll receive a push notification that says "Hold the Phone!" and the front selfie cam will monitor you as you properly grasp your device with both hands for maximum control and stability.
- Use your right thumb to select either
AI Confusion Extrication Mode​
(aka Car Path-y Assistance Mode)​
or
High Speed Impending Accident Mitigation Mode.​
This of course, after you've been offered the opportunity to Check for Updates, to ensure system safety and compliance with the latest NHTSA recall mandates.
- Use your left thumb to adjust User Preferences or to download the User Manual that explains each feature in detail. If it's your first Accident Avoidance, you'll also be presented with a brief Quick-Start training guide; just swipe left or right to navigate Forward or Back for a quick review, or touch Skip for Now if your anxiety level is building.
- In use, simply rotate the phone to effect steering control, and tilt forward / back for acceleration and braking control (no Yoke). Please take care not to drop the device or to Hold it Wrong, as these may reduce control effectiveness during emergency maneuvers.

If you're still not quite sure what to do, there is a new Monte Carlo Tree Search Decision Mode (beta), activated by squeezing both left-thumb and right-thumb Mode Selector buttons with maximum adrenaline-boost force. This employs a highly sophisticated random-neural-weight generator to madly spin the on-screen steering indicator as seen in FSD beta 9.x videos, while auto-toggling the D/R Drive Mode Selector at superhuman rates. A set of canonical AI theorems, collectively known as Heisenberg Self-Drive Solution Annealing, prove that this approach will (eventually) produce the best path-plan. However, note that during this process there may be some causality paradoxes, vector-space labeling uncertainties and multi-object point-cloud simultaneous-occupancy conflicts leading to Quantum Vehicle Entanglements. (This exciting new development is a much faster-executing and highway-capable version of the popular feature previously known as Smart Summon).

After the emergency situation has been successfully resolved using these advanced tools, you may re-engage FSD (beta) and submit any bug reports to [email protected].

N.B. As a side note, I've gathered that @linux-works is a particularly ardent fan of smartphones for vehicle control in real time, so this upcoming UI should get him and the other TMC-forum skeptics on board for the next generation of autonomous design efficiency. I think it will be very, very exciting.