Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These unprotected left turn tests require an alert pilot and nerves of steel.
I wonder if 10.x will be able to eventually do these without giving the driver an adrenalin rush.
That will be a mighty accomplishment.
I think by now it's well established that the car doesn't handle stopping in the middle. That road was meant for stopping in the middle before proceeding. Not sure why Chuck Cook keeps testing it. Its not going to magically become better. They need to add that functionality to make left turn there reliably possible.

Reactions: Terminator857
I think by now it's well established that the car doesn't handle stopping in the middle. That road was meant for stopping in the middle before proceeding. Not sure why Chuck Cook keeps testing it. Its not going to magically become better. They need to add that functionality to make left turn there reliably possible.
I don't pay attention or watch that guys videos anymore. He thinks he is the only one that SHOULD have the beta. As if he should be individually granted god status to it.

I don't pay attention or watch that guys videos anymore. He thinks he is the only one that SHOULD have the beta. As if he should be individually granted god status to it.
The beta is pretty good outside of going from Side streets to main roads where their isn’t a stop light. I don’t think it is too dangerous and it is very predictable where it will have issues, IMO. I’ve only driven about 30 miles using it but that’s the feeling I get.

Not sure why Chuck Cook keeps testing it. Its not going to magically become better. They need to add that functionality to make left turn there reliably possible.
I like it and look out for these video updates - its has many edge cases:

• it's blind (it tests visibility and creep)
  • it's a fast road (tests oncoming vehicles from both sides using B pillar camera at high speed)
  • it is a wide road (needs to navigate three lanes of cross traffic, plus three lanes to merge)
  • it has a median (requiring positioning of car to remain inside median and clear path for passing traffic)
probably more also.

I doubt all these edge cases will be dealt with in one go, and it is interesting to see how iterations of software releases deal with this junction and those edge cases. In many ways its a good way to measure the progress of FSD as things move forward.

I like the unprotected left turns as this is hard for humans and dangerous for both AI and Humans
I also like Lombard street because FSD 10.x still screws up on some simple turns when it gets confused.
In my opinion, it hasn't mastered Lombard street yet. It should be way simpler than unprotected left hand turns, but it presents a series of illogical turns in a street that one wouldn't expect. And populate it with tourists pouring off the sidewalk here and there, along with a delivery truck now and then, and it becomes a challenge.

I doubt all these edge cases will be dealt with in one go, and it is interesting to see how iterations of software releases deal with this junction and those edge cases. In many ways its a good way to measure the progress of FSD as things move forward.
Sure. Makes sense to test once every new release.

Not just a comment on one youtuber - but a general comment on everyone.

By highlighting this kind of edge case makes us all think FSD handles other "non-edge" cases well already. We are all now finding out - FSD has a lot of issues in what we might consider "normal" operation. That needs to be highlighted and tracked.

For eg. why does the car jerk around the steering wheel for simple right turns ? What about sudden slow downs ? (ps : and sudden disengagements)

I think most of us were not expecting this by looking at all the youtube videos.

Last edited:
I think I might l let fsd take me some place today. If you don’t put in an address it just just makes turns at random it seems.
My theory was it would take you to the first address on the drop down if you press on the nav address / search. Let us know if it is close to true.

Someone else commented, it takes the first right ... not sure what happens after the first right. I definitely saw the "first right" indicated yesterday when I started fsd without a destination.

Reactions: jebinc
Wow. That strikes me as an extremely harsh interpretation and quite the opposite of mine. I think Chuck has a very down-to-earth "let's help solve this together" attitude. There's no doubt that he is good at this, and I'm sure at some level he knows that, but it doesn't at all come across to me as an ego-driven thing.

I do think that he's concerned about the wide release because he knows how flawed the system is at this time, and so he's trying to tell people to be prepared for some seriously challenging situations. I vaguely recall that he did some ruminating about whether it was ready for wide release yet, a very legitimate question. But that's not a God complex, it's just him trying to help avert disaster.

One forward Lidar would fix the problem immediately.
There is work to be done. I personally feel Tesla has came a LONG way with just visionary only. I look forward to their progress with DoJo.
Besides, you ever look closely at a Waymo van?

It reminds me of
1634150598407.png

There is work to be done. I personally feel Tesla has came a LONG way with just visionary only. I look forward to their progress with DoJo.
Besides, you ever look closely at a Waymo van?

It reminds me of
View attachment 721107
I hope you don't mind a little jesting, but I LOL'd at the use of visionary over vision.

Visionary:
thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom. "a visionary leader"
Starry-eyed, fanciful, out-of-touch with reality

relating to or able to see visions in a dream or trance, or as a supernatural apparition

Tesla: Vision

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reactions: edseloh
I hope you don't mind a little jesting, but I LOL'd at the use of visionary over vision.

Visionary:
thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom. "a visionary leader"

relating to or able to see visions in a dream or trance, or as a supernatural apparition

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Nope, no mind at all. It's all good.

Reactions: Dan D. and jebinc

Visionary:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well the much-maligned Elon Musk ( I've thrown a few rocks on the pile myself, mostly in jest) really is a visionary IMO. And I mean that in the sense of the first, positive definition you gave, not the second definition of a delusionary visionary. Despite all the foibles, his achievements to date are amazing and propelled by an optimistic vision of the near future.

Having said that, I do like the wry humor of
" My car runs Tesla Visionary FSD"

Hm, maybe he's changed his attitude, but he hasn't come across like that in the few months I've been watching his videos. In fact he clearly states that the beta rollout is a numbers game, and that he's not anybody special.

The basic argument (with arbitrary numbers) is that having 1,000 users that are 5% likely to cause a problem each, is actually a safer situation than if 10,000 had it, even if the added 9,000 were better drivers and only each had a 1% chance of causing a problem.

When we're talking about a product with a potential pool of a million customers (no idea how many bought FSD, but surely in the hundreds of thousands), it's much safer to keep it locked down to a small group when the product is as homicidal as it is today.

Every order of magnitude that the beta increases in scope brings about that much more potential for death and injury, _even if the process of selecting safer drivers improves and the added drivers are "better"_.

So yeah, the rollout is an absolute mess right now. This product is just not ready to be distributed at the next order of magnitude. I would be saying the same thing even if I had FSD beta. That doesn't mean I think I'm some sort of special person, or particularly good driver.